E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 06:51 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' post='370957' date='Dec 25 2006, 01:38 PM
I think the range is determined by how much you cane them.

No it is not, pick up the runflat info leaflet in your dealers. Read the small print.

You get up to 100 miles with driver only, it reduces dependant on load.

With 4 passengers and luggage, the recommendation is no more than 40 miles at speeds less than 50mph. :thumbsdown:

In the UK at 1.00 am you are not going to get to anywhere that will fix that flat inside 40 miles.

If you use run-flats, pack your walking boots
Old 12-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

For my 2 pence worth;

I don't like runflats. They are noisy, tramline like a whirling dervish and are very, very sensitive to pressure.

I have two wheels with flats on them , which I can only assume came from a clumsy tyre fitter levering the runflats over the rim (previous owner - dealer replaced them).

On my previous car, having had a puncture at 2am, at high speed, on a Scottish Highland road, I can appreciate that the runflats would have not frightened me as much. However, with 60 miles to run, with an airport check-in deadline, I was happy enough to change onto the chocolate button space saver for the rest of the trip. (Thankfully, it wasn't raining when I had to change the wheel).

As I also tow a caravan, having a puncture with runflats severely limits my options, particularly outwith business hours (I tend to pull the 'van in the early hours or late at night as I find too many people get under my feet, and then get upset when I overtake them ).

So, what do I do??
The cunning plan is to buy a spacesaver anyway. When the current runflats are shot, well, Hmmm. That's a decision I'll have to make at the time. It's very tempting to get a set of "proper" tyres and hope that the next puncture won't be a serious blowout. Calculate the odds on that one, you gambling boffins!!

Whatever the decision, there are pros and cons to either way - its up to personal preference and motoring habits.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

IMO get rid of the run-flats right away. I cant begin to explain the difference it has made to my car. The car now rides like a dream!!! We are lucky enough to have the space for a spare tire in the e60 unlike the e90. As long as you have a spare there is nothing to worry about. The first week I had my car, I hit a pothole and got a gash in the sidewall, well after calling BMW assist they recommended changing to the spare, so for me the RFs did not save the day.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Members

I had Runflats on my 545, they were like driving on solid tricycle tires........hard, loud, noisy.

I realized all this AFTER i got my 550, which thankfully did not come with Runflats.........the ride is far smoother and quieter with non-RF's

H
Old 12-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by highway' post='371032' date='Dec 25 2006, 09:45 PM
I had Runflats on my 545, they were like driving on solid tricycle tires........hard, loud, noisy.

I realized all this AFTER i got my 550, which thankfully did not come with Runflats.........the ride is far smoother and quieter with non-RF's

H

Your 550 didnt come with run-flats??? Are you sure??? Is this a new change???
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='370967' date='Dec 25 2006, 03:51 PM
No it is not, pick up the runflat info leaflet in your dealers. Read the small print.

You get up to 100 miles with driver only, it reduces dependant on load.

With 4 passengers and luggage, the recommendation is no more than 40 miles at speeds less than 50mph. :thumbsdown:

In the UK at 1.00 am you are not going to get to anywhere that will fix that flat inside 40 miles.
You can have fun unpacking and repacking 4 passengers' luggage instead.

What's the biggest wheel width (inches or J) that can be stored in the wheel recess while running on the donut?

I can imagine some having to strap their wheel with punctured tyre to the roof!

ABC
Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='371454' date='Dec 27 2006, 04:47 PM
You can have fun unpacking and repacking 4 passengers' luggage instead.

What's the biggest wheel width (inches or J) that can be stored in the wheel recess while running on the donut?

I can imagine some having to strap their wheel with punctured tyre to the roof!

ABC

What an excellent question, never considered that.

The front seat passenger could always hold it for you.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='371472' date='Dec 27 2006, 05:32 PM
What an excellent question, never considered that.

The front seat passenger could always hold it for you.
50 50 perfect weight distribution.

ABC
Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='371478' date='Dec 27 2006, 05:48 PM
50 50 perfect weight distribution.

ABC
Just swap the passenger for the wheel; the passengers are usually more flexible. Most E60 are slightly front heavy anyway...
Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Members

I had my first run flat puncture last week. (fortunately on the front tyre which haven't been changed and have 33000miles on them) - Changed the two rear at 30000miles

Within a mile I passed a filling station, so popped in to have a look, and put some air in (in case the pressure sensor had misread!) It showed 6psi..... so I inflated for a while until 13psi.... and then stopped and heard a mass hissing sound. I noticed a gash at the back on the inside of the rim. Damn it.

I live 50miles from work.... and had just left.

Now - this is the problem with them: Given the limited distance you can travel. I had to be at work the next day (this happened at 8pm) and that was another 100 mile round trip. It was then to be Christmas! So the only solution was to find a stockist with the tyres and queue up early. Got it all sorted, but was a sweat on (like couldn't go anywhere over the Christmas period without a repair!)

So - I have considered buying a cheap wheel (same size even if not an M alloy!) and keep it in my garage.

However, what if I am driving somewhere of distance on a Sunday!?!?! What could I do??

I think the ride is affected, but not aware of any road noise exceesively. I have the Sport version of course which is slightly lower and stiffer anyway though.

I like the concept, and it saved me getting wet changing a wheel on a dark unlit road - but I do long for the flexibility of normal tyres.

Quick Reply: Runflats