E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflat puncture?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005 | 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto
Thumbs up

Has anyone had a flat yet with one and if so what was the experience like?

I hear they're difficult to change and the risk of damage to rims is high due to the leverage pressure required on the stiff walls!
Old 03-27-2005 | 11:53 AM
Guest_Speedy_*

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 27 2005, 03:49 PM

I hear they're difficult to change and the risk of damage to rims is high due to the leverage pressure required on the stiff walls!
[snapback]107434[/snapback]
Old 03-27-2005 | 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Yep, I have had a nail in one, drove it for over 400 miles at speeds of 80+mph before physically noticing (several FTM warnings though - thought it was malfunctiong!).

Even when it went completely flat it was drivable to the garage, albeit noisily.

Remarkable really.
Old 03-27-2005 | 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 27 2005, 03:49 PM

[snapback]107434[/snapback]

I had a damaged tire and yes the wheel was scraped when the tire was replaced. I actually felt sorry for the guy working on my car since it took him 1-1/2 hours to change that one tire. I can tell you that my next set of tires will not be runflats. If you value the appearance of your wheels stay away from runflats.
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:04 PM
Senior Members

I had one. The tyre guys had a job changing the tyre because they don't have the latest equipment. They tell me Kwikfit have the machine to remove runflats in seconds. If it wasn't for the FTM I'd never have known I had a nail in my tyre. It happened late on a Saturday and I had to run it 'til the following Tuesday when they got a tyre in for me. No fuss, noise or drama and I also ran above 80mph with it as I kept forgetting I had a flat as it was so stable on the road.
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

I had a nail puncture and I didn't even notice. I thought the FTM was faulty. (All 4 tires looked normal) Drove with the flat for about 2 weeks and even to Vegas and back with no problems. (Averaged about 85mph) Despite all the negative talk of the Dunlops, I actually like them. For some reason I have not had any problems with them.
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

yes and it cost me two hundred and seventy pound to replace as you can't repair them, or shouldn't repair them. had to get it done a kwik fit as bmw scotthalls hampshire didn't have them in stock and wouldn't have them for a month or so, even at kwik fit I had to order it which took two days. good thing is I could still drive.
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I have also had one - I could not tell it it was really punctured or which wheel it was on so I drove into the nearest BMW dealer and they confirmed it for me. They could not get a tyre for me for 24hours.

I drove home after visting clients. It was about 70 miles at about 60mph before I stopped to take a look. Too me it looked like it was about to come off-of the rim so instead of risking damaging the wheel I called BMW rescue and they agreed it was unsafe I went home on a low-loader.

Next day I drove to my local tyre dealer which quoted almost half the price of BMW and they fitted it in minutes no problems at all. These guys are a small back-steet familiy run shop that I have used for years. A good pointer when buying tyres - never go to QuickFit or any of those clowns. You will get a much better deal from the independant guys.
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Mar 27 2005, 09:20 PM
yes and it cost me two hundred and seventy pound to replace as you can't repair them, or shouldn't repair them. had to get it done a kwik fit? as bmw scotthalls hampshire didn't have them in stock and wouldn't have them for a month or so, even at kwik fit I had to order it which took two days.? good thing is I could still drive.
[snapback]107462[/snapback]
I paid 170 all in for a replacement dunlop - they ordered one and had it within two hours.

Quickfit were a joke they quoted silly money and couldn't get one (same story at BMW)
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Mar 27 2005, 04:25 PM
[quote name='johno535' date='Mar 27 2005, 09:20 PM']yes and it cost me two hundred and seventy pound to replace as you can't repair them, or shouldn't repair them. had to get it done a kwik fit? as bmw scotthalls hampshire didn't have them in stock and wouldn't have them for a month or so, even at kwik fit I had to order it which took two days.? good thing is I could still drive.
[snapback]107462[/snapback]
I paid 170 all in for a replacement dunlop - they ordered one and had it within two hours.

Quickfit were a joke they quoted silly money and couldn't get one (same story at BMW)
[snapback]107466[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK if the run flat is designed to hold its own whilst punctured who's to say you can't drive on it for the life of the tread? You guys with punctures have already stated you could tell no difference to the way the car handles - so why not? My tyres are fairly low treadwise so its tempting. I mean its not going to blow out is it?

Quick Reply: Runflat puncture?