E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RunFlat Problem or is it My 545i

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

My 545i was in for routine serive last week, oil change etc. while in I complained again how the ride of the car seemed to be deteriorating, specifically the wearing of my third set of Dunlop RF tires. These tires were installed just over 5000 miles ago and although the car rides great, the rode vibration is above normal. My dealer confirmed that the tires were starting to wear unevenly and would have to be replaced in the near future.

According to my advisor, BMWNA would replace them at 10,000 miles which they have done twice before, my complaint is that I should not have to rive a $60,000 car that eats tires up so fast and since they don't wear evenly, the ride quality suffers midway through the tire life.

My rep says that this is normal for all 5 series cars and if I were to get another one I would have the same issues. I'm not sure what to do, should I go with non runflats, or let them replace the dunlops again or should I get rid of this car, in which case I would have to get out of my lease.

I know most of us on this forum have had problems with the E60 eating up tires, but after 5000 miles? This can't be right. I'm really frustrated are non runflat tires holding up better? or are they wearing out just as quickly? need some help here
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by jochet' post='289030' date='May 28 2006, 07:18 PM
My 545i was in for routine serive last week, oil change etc. while in I complained again how the ride of the car seemed to be deteriorating, specifically the wearing of my third set of Dunlop RF tires. These tires were installed just over 5000 miles ago and although the car rides great, the rode vibration is above normal. My dealer confirmed that the tires were starting to wear unevenly and would have to be replaced in the near future.

According to my advisor, BMWNA would replace them at 10,000 miles which they have done twice before, my complaint is that I should not have to rive a $60,000 car that eats tires up so fast and since they don't wear evenly, the ride quality suffers midway through the tire life.

My rep says that this is normal for all 5 series cars and if I were to get another one I would have the same issues. I'm not sure what to do, should I go with non runflats, or let them replace the dunlops again or should I get rid of this car, in which case I would have to get out of my lease.

I know most of us on this forum have had problems with the E60 eating up tires, but after 5000 miles? This can't be right. I'm really frustrated are non runflat tires holding up better? or are they wearing out just as quickly? need some help here
I can't speak to the Dunlop RF issue. I've followed several of the posts and they range from people being dissatisfied enough to replace the tires with non RF tires to someone like Rudy who says that he doesn't mind the ride quality, and likes getting new tires every 10k miles or so. I just took delivery of an 07 550 and I must admit I was nervous about the runflats. First of all, they are Bridgestone Potenzas not Dunlops, and second of all......the ride seems just fine to me. I can't speak to the longevity of the tires as I only have about 900 miles on them so far. But.....I disagree with your rep who says "all" fives have the same RF problem, and more specifically that if you got another car you would have the same problem. I'd like to hear from some of the other members here that just recently took delivery of their 07s with RF tires......am I the only one that thinks there's no problem with the Bridgestones? So far anyway??? Why Can't BMW replace the problem Dunlops with another brand? I'm thinking that they must have lost faith in Dunlops if they switched to Bridgestones?? What about telling your rep that on your next set of tires you want a set of RFs that aren't Dunlops?
Old 05-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='289037' date='May 28 2006, 07:42 PM
I can't speak to the Dunlop RF issue. I've followed several of the posts and they range from people being dissatisfied enough to replace the tires with non RF tires to someone like Rudy who says that he doesn't mind the ride quality, and likes getting new tires every 10k miles or so. I just took delivery of an 07 550 and I must admit I was nervous about the runflats. First of all, they are Bridgestone Potenzas not Dunlops, and second of all......the ride seems just fine to me. I can't speak to the longevity of the tires as I only have about 900 miles on them so far. But.....I disagree with your rep who says "all" fives have the same RF problem, and more specifically that if you got another car you would have the same problem. I'd like to hear from some of the other members here that just recently took delivery of their 07s with RF tires......and I the only one that thinks there's no problem with the Bridgestones? So far anyway??? Why Can't BMW replace the problem Dunlops with another brand? I'm thinking that they must have lost faith in Dunlops if they switched to Bridgestones?? What about telling your rep that on your next set of tires you want a set of RFs that aren't Dunlops?
I'm with you Keith.. I was pretty nervous about the RFT too but the Bridgestone Potenzas rides pretty well. No compliant here
Old 05-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Its ok... dude free tires. I keep waiting for mine to roar but still isnt... I'm over due for free tires.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='289043' date='May 28 2006, 07:55 PM
Its ok... dude free tires. I keep waiting for mine to roar but still isnt... I'm over due for free tires.
Are you kidding me?? I can hear your tires roaring way up here.....you better get to the dealership for some new tires right away!!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='289037' date='May 28 2006, 10:42 PM
I can't speak to the Dunlop RF issue. I've followed several of the posts and they range from people being dissatisfied enough to replace the tires with non RF tires to someone like Rudy who says that he doesn't mind the ride quality, and likes getting new tires every 10k miles or so. I just took delivery of an 07 550 and I must admit I was nervous about the runflats. First of all, they are Bridgestone Potenzas not Dunlops, and second of all......the ride seems just fine to me. I can't speak to the longevity of the tires as I only have about 900 miles on them so far. But.....I disagree with your rep who says "all" fives have the same RF problem, and more specifically that if you got another car you would have the same problem. I'd like to hear from some of the other members here that just recently took delivery of their 07s with RF tires......am I the only one that thinks there's no problem with the Bridgestones? So far anyway??? Why Can't BMW replace the problem Dunlops with another brand? I'm thinking that they must have lost faith in Dunlops if they switched to Bridgestones?? What about telling your rep that on your next set of tires you want a set of RFs that aren't Dunlops?
Thank you for your reply, I agree with you by the way; I cannot beleive that BMW would continue to sell a car that A) eats tires every 10,000 miles or would continue to replace these tires at no charge. This policy is unprecedented, I have never heard of an automobile company replacing tires for free. These cars are fitted with high proformance tires which generally do not last that well, but I cannot accept that these tires should start failing at 5 or 6000 miles. Good luck with your new car, even with these issues, I would still buy another BMW.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

Last time around (#3), they changed the camber (toe-in) and went from Dunlops to Bridgestone. The new allignment didn't change the handling, and the new tire are great. (So far...)

My last Honda lasted 45,000mi before it needed tires BTW.