E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run-Flats question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that might be worth trying before dismissing RFTs is to get the wheel alignment laser checked.
Had this done recently and it's like driving a totally different car. Like it's on non-RFTs. It really is that different.
I can imagine RFTs being a lot more sensitive to correct alignment which would explain it.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='517710' date='Jan 14 2008, 03:25 PM
Has anyone noticed their runflats having flat spots on them on cold mornings? I feel a slight vibration before the tires warm up. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed that. I could also have a wheel out of balance and it just shows up a little more when those stiff sidewalls aren't yet flexible enough to soak up the vibration.
I don't know the exact makeup of the sidewalls in RFT's but I do know (being a polymer chemist in a previous "life") that the lower the temperature, the firmer rubber becomes. It will want to hold onto its shape that little bit longer on a cold morning (assuming there's more rubber in the sidewall of an RFT) therefore the part of the tyre in contact with the road where parked will remain slightly compressed and flattened for a while. I think!

I got RFT's coming on my 520, whoopee.....

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='517710' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:25 AM
Has anyone noticed their runflats having flat spots on them on cold mornings? I feel a slight vibration before the tires warm up. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed that. I could also have a wheel out of balance and it just shows up a little more when those stiff sidewalls aren't yet flexible enough to soak up the vibration.
What is your definition of a cold morning? Do you notice the difference at a certain temperature? Do you park your car outside or in a warm garage at night?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='517719' date='Jan 15 2008, 02:45 AM
I sounds like you must live next door to a nail factory. In that case, run flats are a must for you!

I have had one tire puncture in the last 15 years, and the tire went flat while the car was parked, so it wasn't a blowout. For me, I just don't think I need the RFs. I have RFs now, and the snow tires I just put on feel amazing compared to the ride of the RFs.

+1 I have not had a flat tire in 33 years of driving. In the 12 months I have had RFT I have had two nails in the tyres and have not been able to repair them but have had to replace them!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

Wow, thanks for all the replies!! Ok...

I park outside. The temp is around 35 - 45 F. I used to notice flat spots on military Hummer bias ply tires REALLY bad in winter. Yes, the runflats DO have thicker sidewalls, that is how they are able to support the vehicle weight with no air.

The fact that they are low profile means that they will warm up faster (not as much rubber to heat up), but I don't remember ever feeling flat spots on regular radial tires on any other car I have ever driven. I'm guessing that the thicker sidewalls on the runflats are the cause of the vibration (very, very slight) that I'm feeling. I am kind of sensitive to vibrations in my car because of my last vehilce which would rattle your teeth out around 55 mph. Never could find the cause of that vibration... Anyway, I just wanted to find out if it was due to the runflats or if I might have a tire out of balance (the dealer just replaced all 4 tires and I would assume that they would have balanced them). I may have thrown a weight too, I don't know. I am taking it in for an alignment and I was going to have them balance the tires again ($$), but I wanted to find out if anyone else has noticed this quirk before I pay for nothing.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by brindle' post='517717' date='Jan 14 2008, 03:40 PM
Hi - picked up my first E60 on friday and have noticed loads of negatives about the run flats on this forum. why is that? I have come from a Jag with 18" tyres and in 2.5 years had 11 punctures - 4 of which resulted in the tyres being scrapped. so the run flat tyres were a big selling point for me - why does everybody hate them?

My tyre is punctured now, I got the warning light yesterday. I have just put a new set of runflats on the car 2 months ago. The tyre place tells me that they are refusing to plug my runflat and want me to buy a new one for E250. I knew I should have replaced run flats with non runflats when I had the chance
Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I too have flat-spot tires first thing after the car sits for >8 hours. Temperature doesn't seem to matter either. It goes away after about 1 mile or so, not a big deal. I agree that it's not run-flats that cause this flat-spotting. I low profile 18" on my 911 and they do the same thing.

I have Sports Package with 18" Dunlops RFT tires. I can't wait for these tires to wear out...I hate them. They are noisy and the ride is harsh.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Members

So the consensus is that pretty much all low profile tires will do this. Cool. I can live with that. I was just hoping that I didn't have something else wrong with my new used car. I only have about 6K left on the warranty and I am trying to take care of EVERYTHING I can find before that warranty runs out. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='518903' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:30 PM
My tyre is punctured now, I got the warning light yesterday. I have just put a new set of runflats on the car 2 months ago. The tyre place tells me that they are refusing to plug my runflat and want me to buy a new one for E250. I knew I should have replaced run flats with non runflats when I had the chance
try another garage....

whne my car showed low pressure, i took it to a tyre dealer, asking for it to be repaired as it had a slow leak. no arguments, they looked at it. It was actually a bad seal to the rim - remounting the tyre cured it.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Must say that when I got my first nail, I took it to Dunlop and my BMW SA, both refused to repair it or try to repair it. Just quoted the book says .....

Then took it to a local independent tyre retailer and they did repair it for me. But the repair did not stick. The book was right.