E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat's or Non Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Sport
Thumbs up

Hello All.

I have a screw in one of my back tires. The tire shop tells me that the Bridgestone Run Flat tire (275 35 18) cannot be fixed and that I need a new one. They suggest getting both rear tires (of course) When I asked them if I could put non run flats on, they told me no, and it would void my warranty. I called the dealer who told me the same thing. I asked "What kind of warranty would I void?" and the dealer couldn't really say, other than BMW recommends using run flats.

It seems to me that if the run flats cannot be plugged or patched, then I would rather have non RF's. The tire shop also told me that there was no spare, which there is, so it doesn't really seem like they know what they're talking about.

So now I have the lovely temporary spare on, and I want some advice as to what to do? I've learned to only trust you guys!

I have a 2006 550i with the sport package.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Tires are a wear and tear item. Non-runflats won't void your warranty. Don't mix and get 4 of the same type. If you are leasing and the car came with runflats, you have to turn the car in with runflats.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport

Originally Posted by ObD' post='521032' date='Jan 21 2008, 07:35 PM
Tires are a wear and tear item. Non-runflats won't void your warranty. Don't mix and get 4 of the same type. If you are leasing and the car came with runflats, you have to turn the car in with runflats.
Thanks, I'm not leasing. I want to figure out which tires would make the car perform best, at the best price.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

the tire shop said you dont have a spare tire? sorry that hit me.

anyway, many have changed to non RFTs and never looked back. im sure a number of them that have to return the car with runflats have changed their tires to non RFTs and kept the RFTs that were originally on the car to put them back on later when they return the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you aren't sold on the added safety benefits a runflat provides and have no problem switching to non-runflats, then by all means, you can buy non-runflats and the warranty should not be affected. (If you want to double-check, call BMW NA and ask them. I don't think they'll tell you any warranty would be voided.)

Many people here went with the Michelin PS2 tires when they switched over and I think most people are happy with them. Personally, I have an issue with Michelin as a company (they treated me very, very poorly during a dispute about their crappy PAX runflat tires that came with my Odyssey minivan -- needless to say, I'm going to avoid Michelin as well as Honda probably for life after the treatment both companies gave me recently. )

One more thing to note -- runflats can be repaired just like normal tires. If the puncture is in the tread and not close to the sidewall, they can be repaired. If any high-performance, speed-rated tire is repaired, most tire manufacturers will not guarantee the speed-rating anymore so it's up to you as to whether or not you're comfortable driving on a reparied tire. See the following two posts (and others in the thread) for more information:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=518999
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=519128
Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

Runflats can be fixed. I have my oem Bridgetone 4 RF's for sale if u want them.
I didn't like them and not going back. In non RF's PS2's are good but I actually liked the original pilot sports a bit better.
I'll probably end up with Ps2's again.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:01 AM
Members

You may be interested to know that a 2008 550 Sport (Canada) I tested recently did not have run flats. I also drove a 2008 M5 and am not sure whether the tires are RF's, but the winter set they were selling with the car did not have RFs. I doubt there is any warranty issue and you will see an improved ride with less noise when you switch to non RFs. As to the safety issue, I'll leave that to the experts, but if the BMW dealer is selling non RF (winter set) rated to 150MPH+, I doubt non RFs have a safety issue with this car.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='521085' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:38 AM
Many people here went with the Michelin PS2 tires when they switched over and I think most people are happy with them. Personally, I have an issue with Michelin as a company (they treated me very, very poorly during a dispute about their crappy PAX runflat tires that came with my Odyssey minivan -- needless to say, I'm going to avoid Michelin as well as Honda probably for life after the treatment both companies gave me recently. )
Maybe I need to give Pirelli some air time.
Got a screw on my X5 Scorpion tire, with about 7500 miles on it. Tire shop said it's not repairable and Pirelli shipped one for free!

RFT sucks, BMW should put this as no cost option for ladies who doesn't like to change tires. I am rather scare driving with these on my 535i. I break traction even on dry roads.

Rick, I'll say buy new non-RFT tires, and put the RFT for sale on Roundel or this board.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Members

For me, this whole debate is always a no-brainer. Run flats every time for me. They can save your life.

In the UK, the most dangerous place to be is in the hard shoulder (can't remember what you call it in the US) of a motorway. People are often killed there by truck drivers that 'drift' into the lane whilst being distracted by something. I drive 35k a year (mostly motorways) and regularly see truck drivers 'drifting'.

Having had a puncture on the motorway with a runflat, I would not have known had the warning light & chime not come on. It was a rainy day and I was able to complete my journey, drive to a nearby fitting centre and leave the car with them whilst I went to my appointment.

There is a very minor ride quality deterioration (noticeable more in Sport models than Standard / SE models) but, in my opinion, it's a small price to pay for a life saving feature.

For me, this is comparable to wondering whether to disable ABS. You just wouldn't!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Smile

[quote name='Rudy' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:38 PM' post='521085']

Personally, I have an issue with Michelin as a company ( treated me very poorly during a dispute about their tires , I'm going to avoid Michelin probably )

Me too,
Check tirerack/discounttire websites and compare, there are good tires(Good Year, BF Goodrich,Pirelli,Yokoma ?)I look for warranty in miles not just years/treadlife.

Quick Reply: Run Flat's or Non Run Flats?