E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flats, Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my two front RF goodyears replaced by the dealer, my car has 19k and I just bought it. One had a "ripple" on the sidewall so I pushed the dealer to replace it as I said it was a safety item and they shouldn't have sold it to me this was. Needless to say it took some pushing but I got them to replace one and I paid for one at the dealer cost cause I didn't want one new and one not up front, so my point of this is that the dealer cost on the goodyear RF is $290 each, and road noise decreased dramatically with the new set.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I hit a pothale doing 35mph with my bridgestone rfs, and it ripped the sidewall and bent the rim, had to change into the spare. It cost me $800.00. Dealer told me the rfs are harder on the rim, becasue they dont cushion the impact but direct it more to the rim. So what the hell is rf good for. If you get a nail stuck in your tire, it will probablly leak slowly anyway. IMO run-flat tires are JUNK. Ride and handling over imperfect roads is bumpy and makes the car skip. I will replace with michellin ps2 in the spring. I should have done it after the initial flat for a couple hundread bucks extra!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='230567
Ride quality and noise vs. safety at high speeds? Hmmm....
That's a fair statement and the main consideration too.

I'm not sold on RFs any safer than non-RF at high speeds. I'll have to look but If you get a flat in the RF I think they don't recommend driving over 45mph...I could be wrong though. Also, most of the non RFs members are running are rated for high speeds (V and Z ratings) and tire companies are doing extensive testing to ensure minimum damage if a punture occurrs.

I think its a given though that no one wants to get a flat at high speeds.
[/quote]

The biggest problem that could occur is a slow puncture ! You don't feel it, and when you arrive in the next fast turn ... no chance to keep the car on the road ! But with the flat tire alarm aboard, normaly it cannot happen.
The other potential problem is tire blowout at high speed. That's why BMW chose RFT tires : SECURITY.
RFT are heavier & more expensive. But what's the price of your own life & the one of all your family ??
The set up of the car is made with & for TFT tires.

All tire brands are working hard to solve comfort & noise problems on RFT.

When you change tires, be sure that the new ones are "fresh". Check the fabrication date on the flank. So you're sure you profit of the latest improvements.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='231484
All tire brands are working hard to solve comfort & noise problems on RFT.
I say it's impossible with that method. The sidewalls will always be hard and uncomfortable. :thumbsdown:

Whilst I'd agree that RunFlats are more convenient and probably safer for 'blowouts' they can't ever cover every eventuality. Don't fool yourself that you're suddendly invicible driving with RunFlats... I've seen pictures of 'exploded' RunFlats that would spin you off the run just as well as 'normal' tyres...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

I agree with all on everything that has been said about RFT's. They are noisy, tramline and give a horrible ride and thats right across the brands.

However I have had the terror of having a blowout doing 60 miles per hour in my second last E39. I wish now I had kept the pictures to show you all. I think if you saw the wreckage we would not still be debating this and we would be happy to live with our runflats. I myself have a scar running across my forehead that took 38 stitches that I have as a constant reminder.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='231521' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:57 PM
I agree with all on everything that has been said about RFT's. They are noisy, tramline and give a horrible ride and thats right across the brands.

However I have had the terror of having a blowout doing 60 miles per hour in my second last E39. I wish now I had kept the pictures to show you all. I think if you saw the wreckage we would not still be debating this and we would be happy to live with our runflats. I myself have a scar running across my forehead that took 38 stitches that I have as a constant reminder.
And you think runflats would 100% protect against this?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:32 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

If runflats are so good, why are they not used in motorsport?
NASACR, F1 and Rally cross cars all need performance and safety, they all drive at very high speeds, a puncture is not only highly dangerous, it eleiminates the chances of winning in most cases.

The simple answer is that runflats are so detrimental to the handling of the cars, they are not worth the trade off v Safety.

My car handled like a pig on Bridgestone RFT's. Now on Goodyears it is much more stable. Tramlining has gone and cornering is much improved.

IMHO, Runflats may be the future, but they are nowhere near right yet.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by colejl' post='231575

[/quote]

Well actually yes, thats the whole point of them is it not? If you have a blow out in the rear tyre of a rear wheel drive car, as in my case, your car will automatically start spinning out of control. If you have a blow out in a RFT the sidewalls will keep their integrity and you will hardly notice any change in the drive. BMW actually made a video with Tiff Needell from the UK's Fifth Gear programme and actually demonstrated both scenarios.

A lot of people seem to be sold these tyres on the premise that if you have a puncture in a bad area you wont have to stop and change the tyre. This is fine if you want to junk the tyre every time you have a puncture, which would be pretty expensive. And exactly what will happen if you travel any ammount on these deflated tyres. The idea is that you actually change it immediately and get it fixed.

The main benefit of these tyres is in a blow out situation.

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='231583' date='Jan 29 2006, 10:32 PM
If runflats are so good, why are they not used in motorsport?
NASACR, F1 and Rally cross cars all need performance and safety, they all drive at very high speeds, a puncture is not only highly dangerous, it eleiminates the chances of winning in most cases.

The simple answer is that runflats are so detrimental to the handling of the cars, they are not worth the trade off v Safety.

My car handled like a pig on Bridgestone RFT's. Now on Goodyears it is much more stable. Tramlining has gone and cornering is much improved.

IMHO, Runflats may be the future, but they are nowhere near right yet.

The reason they are not used in racing is that the tyres are so heavy and all motorsports manufacturers are obsessed with shedding weight (ie carbon fibre panels) rather than adding it. And yes I agree the handling would not be as good as the tyres they use at the moment.

However Its good to know that I can drive my car enthusiastically and at least know that if I get a blow out it wont be the end of my life. Would you agree?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

IMO what we need is a half-way tyre. One that has a strengthened sidewall, to prevent loss of control with a blowout. But not so that they compromise the ride/performance.

I don't mind the crashy ride, but I hate the fact that there's just no confidence in the traction. Especially lateral traction on a slightly bumpy road. The RFs just don't work.

I would rather change a tyre once in a while, than put up with the crap performance of the RF for years at a time.

They all seem to be made from hard-as-**** rubber. Why don't they make performance tyres, to match what you'd get from Michelin PS2 or similar.

I've just replaced the rears (GY NCT), after 20,000 miles. I've NEVER got that mileage from a set of tyres. And very little enjoyment driving around corners
Old 01-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='231614
Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='231521' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:57 PM

Well actually yes, thats the whole point of them is it not?
[/quote]
You missed my point. Although I'd agree they are like-for-like probably 'safer' they do not guarantee complete stability even in a 'blow-out' situation. If the structural integrity of any tyre is compromised then you're potentially off the road etc etc... There's been some pictures on this site of runflats look rather less than 'safe'!

Quick Reply: Run Flats, Help