E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Tires vs Normal Radial Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW545i, Mercedes Benz 320S, Honda Civic 4dr. Si , Toyota Soluna Vios.
Red face Run Flat Tires vs Normal Radial Tires

I have changed my RFT to a normal radial tire and the ride become bearable. But there is a slight problem because I have the tire pressure warning all the time. Please advise me how I can over come this warning.Thank you.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520D 2008 E60

Originally Posted by phoko
I have changed my RFT to a normal radial tire and the ride become bearable. But there is a slight problem because I have the tire pressure warning all the time. Please advise me how I can over come this warning.Thank you.
I think you need a "tyre pressure mod" from BMW on each tyre. I've been told by them when I got my car if I were to change to non RFT.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 AM
Contributors

Exclamation Tire Pressure warnings

Originally Posted by phoko
First, since earlier models had a different means of detecting (low) tire pressure - Flat Tire Monitor vs Tire Pressure Monitor Sys - we need to know what year e60 you are operating.
IF your year e60 is equipped with in-wheel sensors they must be operational. IF the tire installer removed or damaged them while installing your conventional tires FIND ANOTHER QUALIFIED MECHANIC to work on your car!
Next, depending on the system, each has a tire pressure reset procedure in iDrive. Read your owner's manual to see how that's done! IF you don't have an owner's manual you can download one from the information of this forum or at the BMW website for your country.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Members

Default Tires

The best thing I ever did for my E60 was to get rid off run flats. I dont know where you are but here on the east coast they are terrible. The flat tire single doesnt come on, only if you have low tire pressure otherwise your good to go.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 AM
Members

How about for an 05 545i? Apparently my BMW failed inspection because the left rear is showing cords on the inside of the tire and I am thinking about going to standard tires...

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto
Default Hardly any difference

Just my 2 pence, I have switched to non-RFT recently and felt no difference in ride or noise. That's after 9 years on the same RFTs.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535i Sport

Switched from Bridgestone Potenza RFT's to Falken FK452's when I went from 18's to 20's. The Falken's have a much better ride.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

I have an 06' 530i and my LR tire blew out this past weekend. Thank God for RFT's! The difference in price (here in TX at Discount Tire) between normal & RFT's is nominal. The normal Continental 225/50/17 was $205 and the RFT version of the same tire is $225. They weren't in stock though. I ended up going to the dealer and paying $250 for the RFT. The reset in iDrive was pretty simple.

I usually won't allow a non-dealer tire shop touch my car. I'll pull the wheel(s) myself and take it to them.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011

There must be a thousand threads on this and other BMW forums started by some complainer telling us all that they have changed from run-flats to non-run-flats and the car now rides perfectly. No, they don't have a spare, and no, the tpm's are gone or not working and the rim cracked on that last pothole, but the major thing that was wrong in their lives has been cured by installing non-run-flats. BMW's decision to equip its vehicles with run-flats was incredibly stupid -- thank God these tire gurus are leading us into the light. Start up the run-flat bonfires.
Here's are a couple of simple facts these simple guys fail to take into account:
1) They haven't altered one variable -- RF vs NRF versions of the same tire: they've put on a different tire. That means there are hundreds of variables -- compound, construction, tread, rolling resistance, manufacturer, age, wear, and so on -- that have changed, and they have absolutely no means of figuring out which changes are responsible for the perceived ride improvement.
2) Ride is an important aspect of performance, but it is only one aspect. Performance also involves grip, stability, controlled break-away, steering response, braking squirm, water channelling, treadwear, impact resistance and so on.
Makes sense to single out ride if your main concern is comfort. Personally, I like to drive.
And the fact is that the Continental run-llats on my 2008 e60 and the Bridgestone run-flats on my 2012 e82 corner great, step out in a controlled manner and ride as smoothly and as quietly as any performance tire I've ever owned. They cost more to replace than non-run-flats and require specialized mounting equipment -- but those are the only complaints I can come up with. I'll be replacing them with run-flats when the current sets wear out.