E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Rims leak air?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jul 30 2005, 07:42 AM
I've never understood the rush to move from non run flats. My OEM run flats are adorned with a star. The star is the designation that the tire was designed specifically for the model BMW that I own. Anything less will compromise performance and may compromise gas mileage and noise level since all were considered in the match of the design to the vehicle. So, why did we buy these cars in the first place -- to compromise?
[snapback]154573[/snapback]
Run flats are designed in a way that make the ride kinda stiff! That's a fact! Bmw as far as i know designed and tested the car with normal tires. Then in addition came the ideea to make the car with rft. So...u have some benefits, of rft but for me the ride is kinda hard. And if u can add another set of tires that are way better, because this is not a SUPERCAR that comes with SUPER TIRES why sholdn't you do it? Why shouldn't you improve your ride quality and even the handling. Because buying a good performance tire like michelin ps2 or eagle f1 latest generation for sure it would improve the handling. So?!? what's you point? we don't make any compromises...just improve smth is is already good.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Jul 30 2005, 08:17 AM
I doubt there is only one "perfect" tyre for your car. Which tyre your car is fitted with, highly depends on what deals BMW have made with the tyre makers. Or am I wrong on this one?
[snapback]154577[/snapback]
Correct! and what's wrong in having an ultra high performance set of tires and some rft and some winter tires! performance to be used only summer and for driving fast and so on...rft for usual driving like spring or smth and winter (wich i for one don't even think of driving my bmw in winter, have 4motion passat for that) with winter tires.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:34 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Jul 30 2005, 08:24 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Jul 30 2005, 07:42 AM']I've never understood the rush to move from non run flats. My OEM run flats are adorned with a star. The star is the designation that the tire was designed specifically for the model BMW that I own. Anything less will compromise performance and may compromise gas mileage and noise level since all were considered in the match of the design to the vehicle. So, why did we buy these cars in the first place -- to compromise?
Run flats are designed in a way that make the ride kinda stiff! That's a fact! Bmw as far as i know designed and tested the car with normal tires. Then in addition came the ideea to make the car with rft. So...u have some benefits, of rft but for me the ride is kinda hard. And if u can add another set of tires that are way better, because this is not a SUPERCAR that comes with SUPER TIRES why sholdn't you do it? Why shouldn't you improve your ride quality and even the handling. Because buying a good performance tire like michelin ps2 or eagle f1 latest generation for sure it would improve the handling. So?!? what's you point? we don't make any compromises...just improve smth is is already good.
[snapback]154578[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe some of us should not opt for the Sport Package in the first place.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jul 30 2005, 11:34 AM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Jul 30 2005, 08:24 AM'][quote name='JDN' date='Jul 30 2005, 07:42 AM']I've never understood the rush to move from non run flats. My OEM run flats are adorned with a star. The star is the designation that the tire was designed specifically for the model BMW that I own. Anything less will compromise performance and may compromise gas mileage and noise level since all were considered in the match of the design to the vehicle. So, why did we buy these cars in the first place -- to compromise?
[snapback]154578[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe some of us should not opt for the Sport Package in the first place.
[snapback]154601[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sport Package doesn't include only stiffer suspension! It includes alot of other things and i dn't mind firm suspension, but there is a difference and u should know that, between stiff suspension and stiff tires. It's a feel u get exactly when u take a tour with your e60 with rft. If you concentrate a bit you can feel the fact that when driving over bumps or uneven surfaces the tires don't take the sock not even a bit, and that's mainly because of the stiffer tire walls...so the suspension takes it all. got my point? if there is a way to improve this...why shouldn't u do it? After all i almost never ever had a flat tire because of tire punctures or smth, mainly because of the craters in the roads here, soooo being extra carefull with the car i can pass this problem and improving my ride quality and handling and road noise a bit with some stunning performace tires aaaannd keepin my sport package as it is. So?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Does anyone here run nitrogen gas in their tires? The molecules are larger so there is less possibility for leakage. Supposedly, there are no downsides and it is used in racing applications and shipping/trucking fleets. I'm hoping to see this sort of thing at gas stations soon - heck, we have to pay for air anyway - they might as well be giving us something for the money.

http://www.nitrofilltires.com/
Old 07-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributors

No one considered that the RF wheels are harder for tire people to work with and any decrease in care and preparation of the rim would make any new tire not seat properly and leak slowly.
If leaking down in 2 weeks, that or a bad valve is my first investigation. If only one of the 4 is leaking, then that serves to prove the point I am making. Bead uniformity adjacent to the metal edge of the rim is the first to examine and inspection for tool marks. Remeber too the possiblity of having a rim leak is 50/50 on the inside edge of the wheel so a proper check means taking them off the car. A lazy tire guy will not be as scrupulous in checking the non-visible side of the wheel as he can only see one side at a time during mounting and likely observes the outer, well finished surface during most or all of the tire mounting process. Perhaps during the balancing, the inner edge is looked at but at that point, rim seating is not being thought of so a proper check is skipped.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jul 31 2005, 12:05 AM
Does anyone here run nitrogen gas in their tires?? The molecules are larger so there is less possibility for leakage.? Supposedly, there are no downsides and it is used in racing applications and shipping/trucking fleets.? I'm hoping to see this sort of thing at gas stations soon - heck, we have to pay for air anyway - they might as well be giving us something for the money.

[snapback]154665[/snapback]
If i remeber well the composition of our air is alrealy above 85 % nitrogen and the rest of oxigen. So: does it change a lot?

My experience with Pirelli P6000, Michelin Pilot, Conti SP2 is that they nearly not leak.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Jul 31 2005, 03:22 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Jul 31 2005, 12:05 AM']Does anyone here run nitrogen gas in their tires?? The molecules are larger so there is less possibility for leakage.? Supposedly, there are no downsides and it is used in racing applications and shipping/trucking fleets.? I'm hoping to see this sort of thing at gas stations soon - heck, we have to pay for air anyway - they might as well be giving us something for the money.

If i remeber well the composition of our air is alrealy above 85 % nitrogen and the rest of oxigen. So: does it change a lot?

My experience with Pirelli P6000, Michelin Pilot, Conti SP2 is that they nearly not leak.
[snapback]154760[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting. Perhaps France is ahead of the curve on this particular issue. I don't know what the makeup of compressed air is in the US so I suppose it could be anything, but I always thought it was oxygen.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

so come on guys, anone to 100% confirm either leak or no-leak after going from RF's to NON-RF's tyres ?
is the original BMW wheel really that different?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jul 31 2005, 09:29 PM
[quote name='FJPM' date='Jul 31 2005, 03:22 AM'][quote name='UUronL' date='Jul 31 2005, 12:05 AM']Does anyone here run nitrogen gas in their tires?? The molecules are larger so there is less possibility for leakage.? Supposedly, there are no downsides and it is used in racing applications and shipping/trucking fleets.? I'm hoping to see this sort of thing at gas stations soon - heck, we have to pay for air anyway - they might as well be giving us something for the money.

[snapback]154760[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting. Perhaps France is ahead of the curve on this particular issue. I don't know what the makeup of compressed air is in the US so I suppose it could be anything, but I always thought it was oxygen.
[snapback]154871[/snapback]
[/quote]

I confirm that the air that we are breathing is 78 % nitrogen and 21 oxigen.
I it was oxigen only: it would be highly flammable...

Quick Reply: Run Flat Rims leak air?