E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Rims leak air?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xiT

There is a post on the e61 board that states that you may have to add air to your tires every 3 to 4 weeks after you switch from run flat tires to non run flat tires, since the wheel rims were designed for run flats. Has anyone experienced an air leakage after making the switch with the style 124 wheels?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rhnorb' date='Jul 29 2005, 01:00 PM
There is a post on the e61 board that states that you may have to add air to your tires every 3 to 4 weeks after you switch from run flat tires to non run flat tires, since the wheel rims were designed for run flats.? Has anyone experienced an air leakage after making the switch with the style 124 wheels?
[snapback]154357[/snapback]
The rims are not designed for runflats. They are standard rims -- this is the first I've heard of anyone needing to add air regularly...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

Well they are double lipped to hold the runflat in better. That should only make the seal better though,
Old 07-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 29 2005, 09:54 PM
[quote name='rhnorb' date='Jul 29 2005, 01:00 PM']There is a post on the e61 board that states that you may have to add air to your tires every 3 to 4 weeks after you switch from run flat tires to non run flat tires, since the wheel rims were designed for run flats.? Has anyone experienced an air leakage after making the switch with the style 124 wheels?
[snapback]154357[/snapback]
The rims are not designed for runflats. They are standard rims -- this is the first I've heard of anyone needing to add air regularly...
[snapback]154493[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually they are, they have a EH2 lip on the inside. Runflats cannot perform properly on wheels without this extra lip.

But the difference is just on the inside, and even a number of E39 wheels had them , so they make no difference to the seal on normal tires
Old 07-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

MyGoodyear NCT 5 RFT are loosing about 15 % pressure per month on 122 rims!!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Jul 30 2005, 11:24 AM
MyGoodyear NCT 5 RFT are loosing about 15 % pressure per month on 122 rims!!!!
[snapback]154556[/snapback]
On my first E60 (August 2004) and I had 17" 138 alloys with Goodyear NCT.
Within a few days of collecting, the TPM warning came on. It was a near-side front and the pressure had dropped to 20psi. I just put it down to a missed PDI and topped the pressure back to 30psi.

Exactly 20 days letaer the warning came back and when I checked the pressure it had falled to 20psi again. So it was loosing about .5 psi a day.

Called back to the dealer and complained that it was a manufacturing fault. He mentioned that he had hard of 'porous' alloys. He checked my own rim but couldn't detect any air leak. He decided to swap the whole wheel and tyre and the problem disappeared.

Now, it could have been a porous alloy OR it could have been a slow leak but as he changed the whole lot I can't say for sure what the problem actually was. It might be worth investigating with your own dealer about issues with alloys loosing pressure.

I just took delivery of another E60 and changed from RF to Non-RF tyres. I HOPE I don't have to check the tyre pressure every few days. Bit of an annoyance if I do.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

shoot guys, what an issue. I would never think of airleake after going to nonrfs.
So what is the deal here? I want to switch from RF to NONRF soon.
Also what about the winter tires? I will definitely not get RF winters (too expensive for couple of months).....

But I see many of you here going to non-rf and nobody has mention a problem before with air leake.....

?????????
Old 07-30-2005, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

Interesting. I have goodyear nct and i have a slightly difference in tire pressure like 2,4 2,3 bar. Soon i'll add some air to compenaste and i'll let u know if i loose any pressure in 2-3 weeks! I'm interested also in changing to non rft.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:42 AM
JDN
Contributors

I've never understood the rush to move from non run flats. My OEM run flats are adorned with a star. The star is the designation that the tire was designed specifically for the model BMW that I own. Anything less will compromise performance and may compromise gas mileage and noise level since all were considered in the match of the design to the vehicle. So, why did we buy these cars in the first place -- to compromise?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

I doubt there is only one "perfect" tyre for your car. Which tyre your car is fitted with, highly depends on what deals BMW have made with the tyre makers. Or am I wrong on this one?

Quick Reply: Run Flat Rims leak air?