E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

OMG thats a BOOK! do I want to read it now? or tomorrow at work... HAHAHAHA
Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Who am I kidding... I cant wait that long... I'm reading it now!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='450004' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:57 PM
Rudy, one issue remains unanswered in my mind regarding the SAT. I have the electronic version of the LCI 5-series owners manual too, but that hasn't cleared it up for me.

Question 1) Does the SAT gear lever have a function to engage "DS" by moving the lever to the left (like the Step auto lever)?

(If the answer to above is "YES" as I think it is..... then

Question 2) How does the "DS" mode (selected by moving lever left) differ / compare to simply leaving the lever in "D" and pushing the "sport" button?
That would be a "yes" to question 1 -- if you move the lever to the left, the display changes from "D" to "S1" to "S6" If you manually shift the car while the lever is in the left gate, you will be in manual mode. I think these modes are pretty comparable to (maybe even exactly like) the Steptronic automatic. In other words, the car will choose to shift with a more aggressive program as far as when it decides to shift. It will allow the car to rev higher before upshifting, etc. It's important to note that the speed of the gear change is the same in either mode.

Question 2:
When the sport button is pressed, "Dynamic Driving Control" is activated. When this mode is active, according to the manual, "the speed range of the engine is optimally utilized, gearshifts are faster, the engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements, the steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements, and in the automatic mode, the 6th gear is not engaged."

Obviously, you can use Dynamic Driving Control with the gear selector in any position so you can kind of mix and match the settings to come up with something that suits your needs.

Speaking of the shift lever, I don't know if this is common to all the new style (electronic shifters) but I found it pretty cool that you can press the "P" button even if the shifter is in the left gate. If you do, the car will go into Park and the shifter will pop back over to the right side by itself.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449777' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:02 AM
What's interesting is that there's been some downshifts which felt very SMG-like and there have been some that have felt very automatic-like. I haven't yet figured out what conditions apply to make things feel one way or the other but I think once I get the freedom to rev beyond 4000 rpms I will be in a better position to figure this out. I'm still playing around with all these issues and I'm hoping that in addition to me just needing to simply adjust to something new, I'm wondering if some of these things may be a function of me short shifting and trying to break the car in properly. All I know is that I've "tasted" some really sweet shifts so I know it's possible...

It's interesting to note a few other things about the SAT -- when using manual sport mode, the car will not downshift unless it really has to -- just like the SMG. One small difference is that if you're in a higher gear and you push the accelerator down hard enough to hit the kick-down switch, the car will downshift (unlike the SMG which would hold the current gear like a manual). I really don't know what happens when you mash the pedal in manual sport mode and take it to redline. Will it upshift like an automatic or hit the rev-limiter like a manual or SMG? I'll find out soon and report my findings when I can.

Ok let me comment and ask some questions here before I read on and forget...

Downshifts that feel very automatic like. I'm guessing those were the less aggressive downshifts like when you're coasting and downshifting or when the rpms are lower.

More aggressive downshifts that have more pronounced rev matching or rather throttle bliping is, I bet, when your RPMS are closer to 3000 + or when you're braking and downshifting.

Get what I'm saying? I notice this on SMG too.

As for downshifting itself when in Manual mode... so do you mean if you're coasting in 6th at 55mph and you step on the gas, not necessarily MASH on it but giving it gas all the way just before the kick down it will not donwshift unless you actuall activate the kickdown switch? I know in the older steptronics even in manual mode it will downshift before the kickdown is activated... in SMG manual mode you can try to put the pedal through the firewall and it will not downshift...

IF the new Sports auto is behaving the way i described then I can live with that... I can step on the gas all the way 99% full throttle and it will not downshift until I click the kickdown switch then thats cool.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Since I wrote that novel in post #1 of this thread, I've discovered a couple things... (Can't go back and edit the post after an hour has elapsed :thumbsdown: )

First, with regards to the SAT, it may be obvious but I wanted to clarify one point. I mentioned that in manual mode, if you press the accelerator down hard all the way to the kick-down switch, the transmission will downshift for you. What's cool (and probably obvious to most) is that it will not go back up to the gear you were in when you ease off the gas. Again, if you're used to an automatic, this lack of an upshift will feel strange. If you're used to an SMG, then the downshift will feel strange!

Second, I made a minor mistake when describing the way the seat heater distribution page pops up when you press either the seat heater or ventilator switch. You can't use the iDrive controller knob to change the actual settings (high, medium, low, or off) of the heater or ventilator when the screen is visible, it simply shows you the current setting as you continue to press the button and cycle through the settings. If you turn the iDrive controller, you will still be able to change the heater distribution like the old days, it's just much easier to get to that screen now.

Also, in case anyone cares, the night vision screen overrides just about every other iDrive screen. You can choose to have night vision fill the entire screen or you can have it on the left two-thirds while the right pane displays something else. When night vision is on, you have to turn it off first before you can even see any other menu. The only things that seem to override the screen are check control messages at the bottom of the screen (like when the fuel range gets low, etc.) and the popup tabs that show what favorites you have programmed when your finger gets close to one of the buttons.

And finally, I'm a little worried about my Valentine One giving me false alarms now that I have ACC. Just now, I hooked up my V1 to get ready for tomorrow's trip and it started going off (K-band alert) in my garage! Keep in mind that there's a wall right in front of the car so the detector might be picking up a weak reflection that wouldn't be "visible" to it if there wasn't a wall one foot in front of the car. It'll also be interesting to see if a bunch of other cars start jamming their brakes on when I am near. If so, that means I'm setting off their detectors... I realize I can do some custom tweaking of the V1 to eliminate the K-band falses but for now, I'll wait to see what happens tomorrow!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449777
The lane deviation warning system can be a nice feature too. If the lane you're in (or the road you're on) has decent markings, the system will "lock-on" to the lane and warn you if you approach either edge by vibrating the steering wheel -- the system only vibrates if you do not use your turn-signals. It feels exactly like a mild rumble strip that is often found at the edges of the roadway or the center line. The difference is that the passengers don't feel or hear a thing. Also, the vibration happens a little earlier than where an actual rumble strip would be so it helps alert you early enough to be able to react and correct things (or wake up!) if you need to. Road markings, however, can be unreliable and this feature is only useful if you can get a "lock-on" from the markings. Also, as with the ACC, the HUD shows if you are in the locked-on state or not.
Hahah so this and ACC the car can almost drive itself...

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449777
Ventilated Seats are simply great! I'm someone who gets pretty warm while seated so for me, it's the killer option. They move a significant amount of air -- on the highest setting (of three settings total) you can actually hear the seats working and at first I kept thinking one of the rear windows was open a crack.
Hahah sounds just like the seats I have in the Lexus... same thing... 3 settings for warm and cool and on the highest setting you can hear the cooling roar...

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449777' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:02 AM
iDrive has been tweaked a little bit as well. I don't know if some of these tweaks will trickle down to the older cars via Progman updates or not but it's clear that they're starting to think a bit more about how to make a good system even better. Sure, there are favorite buttons now (more on them in a minute) but to me, the cool changes have to do with what happens now when you press certain existing buttons. For example, on the old car, the seat heating switch had three LED's on it to indicate if you were on the high, medium, or low setting. If you wanted to adjust the distribution of the heat between the seat and the backrest, you had to go to the climate menu and find the seat heater distribution page before you could make an adjustment. Now, the seat heater button has only one LED to indicate whether it's on or off. As soon as you press the button, the iDrive screen immediately brings up the seat heater distribution page. On the page, in addition to being able to adjust the distribution, you can use the control knob to set the heater to high, medium, or low. Also, repeatedly pressing the seat heating button cycles you between the three settings and off so you can simply continue to press the button and look at the screen to see what you have set. After a short timeout period, the iDrive CID returns back to whatever screen you had before. The same concept applies to the seat ventilation, the air distribution (for either the driver or the passenger via new dedicated switches), etc. In my opinion, this is one of those refinements that makes great sense and probably should have been there from the start. As far as the favorites buttons, I'm disappointed that you can't program any screen in iDrive to a button. Right now, you can only program entertainment presets, telephone numbers, and navigation destinations. Why not allow us to store something like "map, direction of travel" or "parked car ventilation" to a button? What is very cool about the new favorites buttons is that they're heat sensitive so as your move your finger across them (without pressing any of them), the bottom of the CID pops up with little "tabs" that show you what is programmed on which button. I was worried that they would be like the two programmable steering wheel buttons (one if you have lane departure warning) where you'd have to remember what function you stored there. It's nice to see that they're using more screen "pop-ups" for things to make the car more friendly to people who may not be as tech savvy, etc. The removal of the haptic feedback in the controller knob is a great improvement. Gone is the lag when scrolling long lists, etc. Again, I'm not sure if this is something that can trickle down to older cars or not -- it's likely that the hardware in the controller is different on the LCI but it seems to me that even with the old controller, you could program out the code for the force feedback, right?

Well if you're still reading this monster post, then more power to you! I think for now, that's enough observations to talk about for only having the car a few days. I'm sure some of my opinions will change over time but rest assured that whatever they become, you guys will be the first to know!

Overall, I'll say one more time that the new car is great but the old was also great so enjoy your car no matter what model and options it has!
Ooo I think I'll like the new iDrive improvements! espeically the part where you said it will temporily show you the screen if you're doing like heated seats adjustment... and the heat sensitive buttons to activate a pop up on the iDrive is excellent too.

Excellent review Rudy!

Thank you.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sans' post='449875' date='Jul 19 2007, 01:35 PM
Nice write-up, thanks Rudy. I'm looking forward to more detail as you eliminate the break-in miles.

Do you notice a difference in sound with the L7? Hormadz et al have been discussing the LCI changes there, curious if you had noticed yet.
Oh ya... can you comment on the L7 Rudy?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='449944' date='Jul 19 2007, 04:36 PM
PS: I just got 25.02 in my '06 650i. The new nav features are nice and there are noticable improvements. It seemed the same as the '08 550i I drove. However, scrolling long lists still sucks due to the force feedback.

Ya they can eliminate the code i think... cuz non NAV cars dont have the force feedback wheel
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rick24C' post='449999' date='Jul 19 2007, 07:30 PM
and you now have the option to disable Daytime running lights via IDrive.

EXCELLENT!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='450004' date='Jul 19 2007, 07:57 PM
Rudy, one issue remains unanswered in my mind regarding the SAT. I have the electronic version of the LCI 5-series owners manual too, but that hasn't cleared it up for me.

Question 1) Does the SAT gear lever have a function to engage "DS" by moving the lever to the left (like the Step auto lever)?

(If the answer to above is "YES" as I think it is..... then

Question 2) How does the "DS" mode (selected by moving lever left) differ / compare to simply leaving the lever in "D" and pushing the "sport" button?

To add on top of what Rudy said... Correct me if I'm wrong... BUT What I think it is, is if you leave the gear lever on the right and push the sports button thats the same thing as the old steptronic when you slap it to the left... putting it in DS mode...

When you slap the new shifter to the left that is putting it in manual mode... which equals to slaping the old shifter to the left AND either pushing or pulling the lever to activate manual mode M1 M2 M3...

Quick Reply: Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic