E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='450037' date='Jul 20 2007, 12:45 AM
To add on top of what Rudy said... Correct me if I'm wrong... BUT What I think it is, is if you leave the gear lever on the right and push the sports button thats the same thing as the old steptronic when you slap it to the left... putting it in DS mode...

When you slap the new shifter to the left that is putting it in manual mode... which equals to slaping the old shifter to the left AND either pushing or pulling the lever to activate manual mode M1 M2 M3...
I'm not sure that's accurate. If you move the lever to the left, I think that's the equivalent of DS mode. Just moving it left does not activate manual mode -- you have to manually shift it one time for it to go into manual mode (and stay there if you're on the left side). If you manually shift it while on the right side, it will let you and, if a certain amount of time elapses before any other manual shift happens, it reverts back to automatic mode...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Great write Rudy, thanks. Please comment on the sound of L7 before you forget how the old one sounded. I absolutely love my LCI 550i with only two minor disappointments.
  1. The L7 sound quality
  2. After all the R & D on the LCI they still have not fixed the door seal issue.
Other than that, it is everything the 545i should have been.

P.S. on the exhaust. Absolutely love it. I don't know what i am missing with the SAT but I can safely say you don't know what you are missing with the new short shifter.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I've been evaluating the L7 but before I determine my position, I need to listen to a real CD instead of 128Kbps MP3 files. Again, my trip tomorrow should allow me to do some more evaluations...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='450049' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure that's accurate. If you move the lever to the left, I think that's the equivalent of DS mode. Just moving it left does not activate manual mode -- you have to manually shift it one time for it to go into manual mode (and stay there if you're on the left side). If you manually shift it while on the right side, it will let you and, if a certain amount of time elapses before any other manual shift happens, it reverts back to automatic mode...

Ah ok. So it sounds like they actually added a sports button for the automatic transmission... and the rest works the same?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

interesting info on the new sport auto....can't wait for your thoughts on it after break-in rudy!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='450019' date='Jul 20 2007, 05:01 AM
Speaking of the shift lever, I don't know if this is common to all the new style (electronic shifters) but I found it pretty cool that you can press the "P" button even if the shifter is in the left gate. If you do, the car will go into Park and the shifter will pop back over to the right side by itself.
Rudy, I have also found that it doesn't matter where the shifter is, when you hit the engine 'stop' button the shifter automatically goes to 'P', which includes automatic movement back to the centre again.

So now I don't even bother touching the shifter at all when I stop, just hit the stop button and get out.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Shit! You make us in Finland so jealousy!

Thanks, Rudy!

SKaffa
Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Rudy,

Thanks for the great and detailed write-up. I was wondering if the Corona Rings are used for the DRLs now. And from pictures, I noticed that the amber eyebrows extend deeper towards the center of the car.

Are the light-rod tail lights very noticeable? Are the LCI lights much nicer than the older ones. I am thinking of getting a retro when they come out with the kit. TIA

Mike
Old 07-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='450082
Rudy,

Thanks for the great and detailed write-up. I was wondering if the Corona Rings are used for the DRLs now. And from pictures, I noticed that the amber eyebrows extend deeper towards the center of the car.

Are the light-rod tail lights very noticeable? Are the LCI lights much nicer than the older ones. I am thinking of getting a retro when they come out with the kit. TIA

Mike
Yes the rings (angel eyes) are now used for the DRL's and are much brighter. The eyebrows are slightly different too as you suggest. The tail lights are cool looking -- I know many have already retrofitted them to their pre-LCI cars...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Rudy - great write up and a great car. I am interested in your longer term evaluation of the Night Vision. Of all the options I got, that is the one that I would not get again in another car. I find I never use it and having to keep looking at the screen while driving at night on a dark road (where it would be the most effective), is not the safest thing in the world. Now, if it showed up in the HUD, that would be a different story. In hind sight, I should have gotten the ventilated seats instead.

Quick Reply: Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic