E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Track: Comparison Test: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V vs. 2008 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically what I meant to say, just didn't have enough time to be so specific when I posted earlier. The NEW CTS & CTS-V are leaps and bounds better than the previous version. My family and I have owned german cars for just about all of my driving life and I almost bought a caddy, the CTS is that good. The quality and fit and finish is there guys....take a look at a new gen CTS with all the fixins or better yet a new gen CTS-V in person before passing judgement

Originally Posted by SCWells72' post='657044' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:38 AM
As someone above noted, there are two generations of the CTS-v. The first-generation CTS-v was very similar to the previous-generation M5 on paper with a naturally-aspirated Z06-derived V8 making 400HP. It had a chintzy interior and a rubbery shifter, but it was definitely a fun car to drive and made fantastic sounds when pushed! One of my friends drives one and has let me give it a whirl a few times, and to me it feels very similar to the previous M5 in terms of driving dynamics.

This is the new CTS-v that's based on the new CTS, and frankly its interior is close to best-in-class (these things being subjective, of course). Very high quality materials, great layout, intuitive and useful electronics, etc. Add to that a supercharged V8 making 550HP, heavy duty brakes, and apparently a vastly improved shifter, and it's a heck of an overall deal for the $$$.

Look here for pictures, specs, etc., before writing it off as typical American schlock.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Here is the latest review on Edmunds. They claim that the CTS-V is THE quickest/best handling production sedan ever been tested.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...photopanel..1.*

Yes, it's fast alright. I'm just not sold on the styling, too angular for me. Personally, I think GM should focus on making better quality and fuel efficient cars instead of spending money on a niche product.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I'm not a big fan of the new Caddy's design nor am I a fan of BMW's high rpm horespower low toruque motor design in a U.S. street car. But comparing a power added motor to a n/a motor doesn't really make too much sense.

Caddy may have the best power numbers right now, but one would think that if BMW could make the 6yr 100k warranty available on the M5 - the Caddy's thunder would be stolen.

Regardless - its now just a matter of time before a turbo or sc gets put in an M.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by zen68' post='657438' date='Aug 29 2008, 05:32 PM
Personally, I think GM should focus on making better quality and fuel efficient cars instead of spending money on a niche product.
The new GM high performance V-8's can still get close to 30mpg.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by pukka' post='657519' date='Aug 29 2008, 07:24 PM
The new GM high performance V-8's can still get close to 30mpg.
. . . and now you can get employee pricing . . . .
Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='657691' date='Aug 30 2008, 12:21 AM
. . . and now you can get employee pricing . . . .
Old 08-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Members

Honestly I am pretty happy to hear that American car makers are making cars that actually handle well. Thats what basically what pushed me away from buying an American car.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I noticed the by-line on this thread by the OP, "... because of the price difference!".... which I'm sure weighs in on the judgment of the writers. But, I long ago stopped putting much stock in the leading mag's head-to-heads final conclusions. The comparisons and stats are interesting to look at in their own right, but as someone above mentioned, if you're looking for the conclusion as to "which is best?" at some level, these magazines are the wrong source -- just simply due to the influence of the advertising $$. Don't look to R&T or C&D etc. for pure objectivity, you won't find it. The only conclusion I'd take away from their article is that both cars, in their different ways perhaps, are among excellent choices available to us -- but I wouldn't base a final selection based on anything they have to say.

Cal
Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYY YY DO!!!!!!!!

.5 sec..

Anytime when your talking track time and your within a second it means nothing. Now if we are talking like 3+secs. now you got a problem.

Hmmmmm pulling up in a Cadillac CTS-V or a BMW M5..................really is it even a contest??

P.S.: The real deal here that I'm sure will come to light in the next few years is BMW motors are made to run hard. You can't say that about the Caddy. I know its basically a Vette engine and that is part of the reason why you know it will have issues if your driving it hard over the years.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='657873' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:10 AM
WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYY YY DO!!!!!!!!

.5 sec..

Anytime when your talking track time and your within a second it means nothing. Now if we are talking like 3+secs. now you got a problem.

Hmmmmm pulling up in a Cadillac CTS-V or a BMW M5..................really is it even a contest??

P.S.: The real deal here that I'm sure will come to light in the next few years is BMW motors are made to run hard. You can't say that about the Caddy. I know its basically a Vette engine and that is part of the reason why you know it will have issues if your driving it hard over the years.
A .5 second advantage, at the already stellar performance levels achieved by the M5, can indeed be a big deal. The CTS-V is turning in performance numbers that match or better some incredibly exotic hardware. The CTS-V is broadly as fast as a 997 Turbo and a recent model Gallardo. The .5 second advantage with the CTS-V is carried over to the 0-60 sprint.

Only an idiot focuses on the badge. An enthusiast focuses on engineering and performance and will appreciate that both the CTS-V and the M5 deliver performance that commands respect.

There is no reason whatsoever to doubt that the LSA powerplant in the CTS-V will be any less reliable than the S85B50. The different derivations of the LS powerplants are reasonably bombproof. For all its faults, two areas where GM does deliver the goods are its top end powerplants and its transmissions. In fact, you will find GM transmissions in some BMW hardware.

Quick Reply: Road & Track: Comparison Test: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V vs. 2008 BMW M5