E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rims with a lip

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I got a 5" lip in the rear. No problems at all. Leaking means you probably have a bent rim. My chrome lip pit and flaked after a year. Not very noticeable unless you get very close. I got my lip painted black now. So that fixed the flaking chrome.

I'll post pics when I get home.
5" lip?! Wow- can't wait to see that...

Man, I saw a white G37 coupe the other day, and the back wheels on that thing (5-spoke, chromes), must've had 7" lips on them. Look real sexy on that car.

Originally Posted by 5e60er
Man, thats nuts! Do the math bro, $1500 to repair them can save you $3500 or lets say save you $2500 (with the idea of the wheels are sold cheaper today) then when they first came out...
Yeah, I know-

I've tried to rationalize it, but the $300 price +/- did not include shipping, and there was like a 30-day turnaround, because they had to be shipped to California, and there was a disassembly and assembly charge, because they are 3-piece wheels.

I went to an Asanti dealer, and since the face of the wheels are in great shape, they suggested replacing the barrels, at $750 per wheel, (300 inner, $450 outer). I have them stacked up in my storage bin right now- been there over a year. I might sell 'em, if I can.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Get yourself a set of Beyern Rims!!! These are awesome rims no leaking problem, no need for spacers cuz they are made for BmW'S, and they also have some with lips. I got the RAPP style and the rear has a 3inch lip the front has a 2 inch lip. Thats good enough for me. Good luck on your find.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

i personally think both sets, ones on ur car and the ones u r thinking of, look like poop

:l

...but i know of a place that fixes wheels

depending on who u r they can do em for about 140 a wheel

ofcourse cause urs r chrome they would be limited to what they can do without totally fucking up the color of em

i too am in dallas, fyi
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Rims with a lip-dsc07253.jpg
Rims with a lip-p6192932.jpg
Rims with a lip-p6192904.jpg
Rims with a lip-black-lip-rear-quarter.jpg
Rims with a lip-p9266713.jpg
Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Wow! That car is sick! I don't know if I like it more with the chrome/polished lip- or black.

Normally I don't like black rims, but you have made an excellent choice, and they set your car off quite nicely. I'm sure that's a head turner everywhere you go.

Originally Posted by god_003
i personally think both sets, ones on ur car and the ones u r thinking of, look like poop

...but i know of a place that fixes wheels

depending on who u r they can do em for about 140 a wheel

ofcourse cause urs r chrome they would be limited to what they can do without totally fucking up the color of em

i too am in dallas, fyi
Diffrent strokes bro'... I like chrome, and the only factory BMW wheel that appeals to me is the M6 wheel- I'm just not sure if I want to "pay" for a factory look.

As for the fix, if they blast them, and polish the drums- that would work for me- they wouldn't have to re-chrome them. I found a place in Southwest Dallas (West of downtown) that wanted me to ride over so they could take a look, but I never went down there. Where is the place you are speaking of?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I have MRR GT1s and the rear lip is 4" deep, which, again, is the only reason they're still on my car. Just buy my MRR 20s then I can get some new wheels!
Attached Thumbnails Rims with a lip-5er-001.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Contributors

its called wheels america

not the best but they will get it done

no clue what u meant by "blast them, and polish the drums"

but u will need to give them the wheel or wheels u need done so u might be on a spare or jack stand for a day or so

turn around time is usually a day
Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Members

its called wheels america

not the best but they will get it done

no clue what u meant by "blast them, and polish the drums"

but u will need to give them the wheel or wheels u need done so u might be on a spare or jack stand for a day or so

turn around time is usually a day
The chrome is flaking so badly, they will need to be stripped and refinished. I think I have talked to them before- they are in that North Dallas/Addison/Farmers Branch area- if memory serves (North of 635 anyway).

Originally Posted by PlanB
I have MRR GT1s and the rear lip is 4" deep, which, again, is the only reason they're still on my car. Just buy my MRR 20s then I can get some new wheels!
Yep, the friend I got these Asanti's from, took these off his car in favor of the 22" MRR's (Machined lip) just like the one's you have there.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Contributors

from what i understand...

u cant polish chrome

so ur left with rechroming or powdercoating them
Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Members

from what i understand...

u cant polish chrome

so ur left with rechroming or powdercoating them
The shops I've talked to said they can strip the chrome off, and I could go with painting, machining, polish, powder coating, or rechroming.

Quick Reply: Rims with a lip