E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rims with a lip

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

I got a set of wheels from my friend a year ago (Asanti AF114's), which looked great when new, but he'd moved to New York, then back to TX. The snow and saly up there did a number on his wheels, which I hadn't noticed until I got them from him. They were peeling and flaking (something I've never seen a rim do), not to mention losing air (which was attributed to the flaking compromising the seal) and rubbing on the front, so I took them off.

I was going to have them fixed, but the thought of fixing old wheels at a cost of $350 - $750 a corner, didn't sit well with me- not when I can have new (similar) ones for the same price.

I've been eyeing the M6 wheels (and replicas), but I've always liked rims with a lip, however the deepest lip I ever had was maybe 2-3", and on a truck- which had either 275/55/20 or wider 285/50/20's protesting them.

Does anyone have experience with a wheel with a deep lip on the E60, with the low-profile 19" set up? This is one of the wheels I've been considering-

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/PDK...t-of-4/818050/

Also, if you have chrome or polished wheels on your car, with a lip- I'd love to see the pics- so feel free to post them here, or direct me to your gallery. I know there's an aversion to chrome by many members here, but if you have them- let 'em shine- and, let me see 'em!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Are you looking for forged wheels are fine with cast?

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

The leaking air on asanti wheels could be from a couple sources. With 3 piece wheels, I have had the issue of even just one of the rivets that hold them together breaking or getting loose, it will start to leak air... I would find a cheaper source to have them refinished (check with Eric at Supreme Power) he has a wheel repair guy ive used before, even with shipping costs it might be cheaper! Asanti's are not a cheap wheel at all so if you can refinish them for a decent price it might be best. Below are pics of my rear lip of 4.5"; If you have a wheel like asanti the lip will hold up, just be VERY careful when cleaning them so you dont put in micro scratches...

Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by 5e60er
The leaking air on asanti wheels could be from a couple sources. With 3 piece wheels, I have had the issue of even just one of the rivets that hold them together breaking or getting loose, it will start to leak air... I would find a cheaper source to have them refinished (check with Eric at Supreme Power) he has a wheel repair guy ive used before, even with shipping costs it might be cheaper! Asanti's are not a cheap wheel at all so if you can refinish them for a decent price it might be best. Below are pics of my rear lip of 4.5"; If you have a wheel like asanti the lip will hold up, just be VERY careful when cleaning them so you dont put in micro scratches...

Yep, I was at his house when he ordered them- he paid $5,000 plus for those wheels (2004) when he bought them... Just the wheels.

Thsi is back in the day when people were paying $10,000 for the "Spreewell" wheels. LOL. The kind that kept spinning after the car stopped.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Are you looking for forged wheels are fine with cast?

Michael
Acute Performance
Hello Mike-

Nah, I'm just looking for good & cheap.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

Originally Posted by bighersh
Yep, I was at his house when he ordered them- he paid $5,000 plus for those wheels (2004) when he bought them... Just the wheels.

Thsi is back in the day when people were paying $10,000 for the "Spreewell" wheels. LOL. The kind that kept spinning after the car stopped.

Man, thats nuts! Do the math bro, $1500 to repair them can save you $3500 or lets say save you $2500 (with the idea of the wheels are sold cheaper today) then when they first came out...
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

To prevent micro scratches, I'll put a nice layer of wax on my lips every so often. Keeps it shiny, prevents micro scratches, and makes cleaning a lot easier especially if you're on polished lips.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

I bet your friend hit several large potholes in NY which bent the rims causing the air leak.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Kzang
I bet your friend hit several large potholes in NY which bent the rims causing the air leak.
Yep, I don't doubt it.
He lived in Freehold, NJ, but drove to the city quite often.

I know when we came up to visit, I did notice a few bumps in the roads in Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Spent about 2 weeks up there. I would love to go back and visit, and finish seing the sights in NYC. I tell ya, after driving up there (Some of the worse driving manners I've seen since Seoul, South Korea), I won't complain about Dallas' traffic anymore.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributors

I got a 5" lip in the rear. No problems at all. Leaking means you probably have a bent rim. My chrome lip pit and flaked after a year. Not very noticeable unless you get very close. I got my lip painted black now. So that fixed the flaking chrome.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Quick Reply: Rims with a lip