E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride with/without runflats

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome aboard, vchpak !
Old 12-23-2004, 06:41 PM
RAI
Members

Originally Posted by David' date='Dec 23 2004, 04:38 PM
Rai, interesting what you say about the other tyres. I've had my 535d Sport for about 3 weeks (800 miles) now and the run flats are getting to be an issue for me.

My previous car was an M3 which had PS2's and I think the bump absorbtion/damping of the 535d is worse than the M3 which I have put down to the RFT's as there is no way the suspension/damping if firmer on the 535d than the M3. It's not so much the firmness of the ride as the way the 535d deal's with ripple's or ridge's in the road surface which feel like they are magnified to me. I guess the best way to describe it is that the car fidget's!

I was thinking of getting PS2's but maybe I'll go for something less performance oriented, I do think they are great tyres though.
[snapback]71951[/snapback]

David-

I agree that the runflats are probably exactly what's causing the magnification of road roughness that you're experiencing. With my new Contis, I find the ride to be firm, but not harsh. They handle road chop considerably better than the OEM runflats.

The thing is, of course, what's best for one person may not be best for another. Plenty of people think the PS2 rides great. I don't, but I think it rides very well considering the incredible handling it provides. So, a person who wants the best handling, or who lives in are where roads are in great shape, will love the PS2 and will think it rides quite well. It's all so relative.

So, rather than rating a tire in absolute terms (e.g., this tire has a great ride quality, or that tire has a poor ride quality), I think it's best to speak of it comparatively, in relation to how it compares with a common point of reference (like the OEM runflats). One person may say the PS2 rides great, another may say it rides a bit harshly- but hopefully most can agree how it rides compared to the OEM runflats.

Using that point of reference, I think that the PS2 does not give a BETTER ride than the OEM runflats, but I think it's pretty close. I definitely think the PS2 is louder than the OEM runflats (at least when the OEM tires are new and before they go haywire on tread roar- the OEM tires are very quiet when new). The ride quality of the PS2 is fairly close to the OEM tires I would say, but the tread noise is appreciably higher than the OEM tires when new.

The PS2 is an amazing-handling tire though- it's pure magic in that department. If you put a set of PS2s on your 545i, you WILL notice a big difference when you toss you car into a corner, believe me. Given how well the PS2s handle, the fact that their ride quality is very close to the OEM tire is an incredible achievement. So, I agree that the PS2 is an absolutely wonderful tire; it's just not the best choice for me.

Remember also that, generally speaking, it's been my experience that your roads in Europe are in much better shape than what we have to deal with in the U.S. Much better road surfacing there, in my experience. Less potholes and broken pavement. I don't think I'd hesitate to put on a set of PS2s if I lived where you do, but of course you are a better judge of your road conditions than I am.

But, if you find the OEM runflats to be fidgety, I don't think you'll find the PS2s to be better in this department. Like me, you may prefer to drop down a notch in performance in order to pick up a better ride quality. The contis are great for this. They definitely give a better ride quality than the PS2s- I defy anyone to tell me they don't. They're appreciably quieter too. But, you'll lose steering crispness and ultimate handling compared to the PS2 in about the same measure. Both the Contis and the PS2s are good choices, and both are better than the OEM tires IMHO, it's just that they come out differently on the ride/performance scale.

The all-season Yokohamas were a disappointment, at least to me, because I didn't think they gave a better ride OR better handling than the OEM tires.

Regardless of how one comes out in weighing all these factors, it is a fact that the ride quality and the handling of the OEM runflats can be bettered substantially by going to a non-runflat tire.

-RAI
Old 12-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RAI' date='Dec 23 2004, 09:41 PM
[quote name='David' date='Dec 23 2004, 04:38 PM']
Remember also that, generally speaking, it's been my experience that your roads in Europe are in much better shape than what we have to deal with in the U.S. Much better road surfacing there, in my experience. Less potholes and broken pavement. I don't think I'd hesitate to put on a set of PS2s if I lived where you do, but of course you are a better judge of your road conditions than I am.
-RAI
[snapback]72067[/snapback]
Ok - just for point of reference. The roads in Cary (and area) are some of the best in the US. Certainly better than the NE where lots of E60s are living. Better than the California cities too.

Welcome RAI. I work in Cary. I live in Durham but am moving to downtown Raleigh - waiting to decide on tires until after I move - downtown is a little rougher. But Cary ... I thought they outlawed potholes.

Another David.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:52 PM
JDN
Contributors

I picked my son up at the airport today. We drove back into town, went to lunch, and came home. He commented twice on how smooth the ride. He is driving the old 540 with new shoes and this E60 appears noticeably quieter and smoother to him. It is like riding on glass while the RF are new.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:30 PM
RAI
Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 24 2004, 06:41 PM
[quote name='RAI' date='Dec 23 2004, 09:41 PM']
[quote name='David' date='Dec 23 2004, 04:38 PM']
-RAI
[snapback]72067[/snapback]
Ok - just for point of reference. The roads in Cary (and area) are some of the best in the US. Certainly better than the NE where lots of E60s are living. Better than the California cities too.

Welcome RAI. I work in Cary. I live in Durham but am moving to downtown Raleigh - waiting to decide on tires until after I move - downtown is a little rougher. But Cary ... I thought they outlawed potholes.

Another David.
[snapback]72222[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hello 300TTto545-

I work in Durham and live in Cary. Sorta' a mirror image of you, huh? I suppose you're right about the good roads here, but I still think we come in a distant second to what they have in Europe. When I did the ED and drove through Germany, France and Switzeerland, I never saw a single pothole. Not one in over 1,000 miles of driving! Makes me pretty jealous.

Regards
-RAI
Old 12-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Members

Welcome aboard, vchpak and RAI.
You would love to hang around here.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:32 AM
RAI
Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Dec 24 2004, 10:51 PM
Welcome aboard, vchpak and RAI.?
You would love to hang around here.
[snapback]72269[/snapback]

Thanks! Yeah, I love San Fran.

-RAI
Old 01-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Newby

Originally Posted by David' date='Dec 23 2004, 04:38 PM
Rai, interesting what you say about the other tyres. I've had my 535d Sport for about 3 weeks (800 miles) now and the run flats are getting to be an issue for me.

My previous car was an M3 which had PS2's and I think the bump absorbtion/damping of the 535d is worse than the M3 which I have put down to the RFT's as there is no way the suspension/damping if firmer on the 535d than the M3. It's not so much the firmness of the ride as the way the 535d deal's with ripple's or ridge's in the road surface which feel like they are magnified to me. I guess the best way to describe it is that the car fidget's!

I was thinking of getting PS2's but maybe I'll go for something less performance oriented, I do think they are great tyres though.
[snapback]71951[/snapback]
What have you done in the end? Have you changed them - I currently have a 528i SE E39, with a 535D on order for May delivery (MY2006 - thanks to this forum!), but I too am concerned about the run flats in London - thinking about changing them, but kinda worried about the handling vs comfort thing. When I test drove the 535d Sport, I was actually quite impressed with the comfort level, given the size of the rims, the profile and the RFTs, but I don't know how I might live with them on a regular basis.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:20 PM

I have 19" Goodyear F1 GS-D3's for 9,000 miles, and they are by far the best tires I've ever had. I've tried Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli Pzero Nero, Dunlop SP9000, and the Goodyears are head and shoulders above. Ride, handling, noise, treadwear, all are terrific. The only problem I've heard about them is some sizes are backordered at the moment.