E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

revisions to 535d engine for facelift

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One missing change:

Piezoelectric injectors instead of ceramic ones

However i had no idea about the transmission new improvement.

About steptronic paddles steering wheel, I am in process to change to it, by a DIY motion, I had not idea of BMW going to offer it as std.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='361072' date='Nov 27 2006, 04:28 PM
One missing change:

Piezoelectric injectors instead of ceramic ones
That's interesting. Didn't know that.
What are the benefits of Piezoelectric versus ceramic?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361083' date='Nov 27 2006, 04:42 PM
What are the benefits of Piezoelectric...
On the other end of the scale sit piezoelectric injectors. They can cycle twice as often as magnetically triggered injectors, so short duration injections can be used to generate mixture flows that are easily ignited. Plus, this injector?s circular side opening creates a cohesive cone-shaped stream flowing from the top center of the combustion chamber, and can be timed to produce a charge of varying density. Its big disadvantage is that it is larger and more expensive than magnetically operated, multiple aperture injectors.

Piezoelectric injectors, however, may prove to be invaluable in future clean diesels because the quick on-off feature gives engineers greater leeway in spray timing and density, which has a tremendous effect on the noise and pollution emitted by compression ignition engines. ?Intervals between individual fuel injections can be reduced,? says Dr. Ulrich Dohle, president Bosch Diesel Systems, ?which gives greater flexibility in meeting power, economy, and emission goals.? The advanced diesel piezoelectric injector locates several hundred thin crystals within the injector body. The movement of the piezo wafers?they expand in the presence of an electric field?is transferred to the nozzle needle in less than 0.0001 seconds, and its inline design means very little fuel return flow is needed. This reduces the delivery rate and energy required from the high-pressure fuel pump.

?The key to improving fuel consumption and reducing emissions from a diesel engine,? says Dohle, ?is to reduce internal engine emissions through optimization of the basic engine design, and improvements in the injection strategy itself.? Adding one or two pre-injections stops smoke generation just after a cold start, which also reduces combustion noise. A post-injection immediately follows the main injection to lower soot emissions, and a further injection can be added to regenerate the particulate filter. Compared to existing magnetic or piezoelectric systems, Dohle expects a common-rail system with piezoelectric inline injectors to cut internal engine emissions by as much as 20%.
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/080303.html

ABC
Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361083' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:42 AM
What are the benefits of Piezoelectric versus ceramic?

As far as I know It improves the enviroment.

Std injection was divided in two cycles

a.- Pre Injection. Adapting the engine to pressure and temp as well as vibrations messure.

b.-Main Injection. Combustion

The problem was how to eliminate the little particules remaining

1.- By a separate filter. meaning maintenance

2.- Creating a 3rd cycle, as to "burn" those small parts.

This is mainly what a Piezoelectric injection system was created for. To comply with a new EU directive related to emissions to the athmosphere...

Regrds
Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='361089' date='Nov 27 2006, 04:54 PM
As far as I know It improves the enviroment.
This is mainly what a Piezoelectric injection system was created for. To comply with a new EU directive related to emissions to the athmosphere...

Thanks for all the great information.
It also sounds like (from ABCs post) some side benefits are (i) reduced noise (ii) slightly better economy (iii) slightly more power

Is the slightly increased power/torque and better economy of the revised 535d then mainly due to the piezos, to the weight reduction or both? Also, is the reduction in noise in any way significant?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361095' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:14 PM
It also sounds like (from ABCs post) some side benefits are (i) reduced noise (ii) slightly better economy (iii) slightly more power

Is the slightly increased power/torque and better economy of the revised 535d then mainly due to the piezos, to the weight reduction or both? Also, is the reduction in noise in any way significant?
That I can not say. May it also be due to a slightly different programation for the ECU?

I have reprogrammed it much further than 286 hp and 580 Nm torque. So I wonder if at BMW they have also gone that way.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

It will be the same engine than the 3 and the new X5 ?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tuga' post='361099' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:32 PM
Boas Tardes Tuga,

Yes it is supposed to be the same

kind regrds
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361095' date='Nov 27 2006, 05:14 PM

Based on a 530d vs 535d (current model) comparison, I'd say noise reduction is quite significant. I doubt 20kg out of 1750/1800 will make much of a difference. Full vs. empty tank or options fitted will count for more.

Edit: how much of the noise reduction is due solely to injectors, is anybody's guess, but I expect the new 535d to be quieter (or rather, smoother sounding) than the current one.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Tuga' post='361099' date='Nov 27 2006, 05:32 PM
Should be same engine as the 3 series and the facelifted X3
The new X5 will initally only come with the 3.0d (single turbo) when it ships in Europe in March/April 2007
No word yet with the bi-turbo will be introduced in the X5 but people are guessing towards the end of 2007 or early 2008.

Quick Reply: revisions to 535d engine for facelift