E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint Systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am new to this site, I have a 525d se 2004 I had a problem with Transmission faults, battery, tyre fault etc when starting on a cold morning. With your help I changed the battery for a second time to a original.
I have had a new battery changed again, and these problems have now gone but another has appeared which is just as annoying.
When I picked it up this morning as soon as I start up I get
"Restraint Systems
Function of air bags
Belt tensioners and belt force limiter faulty
Ensure seat belt is fastened
despite of fault
The guy at the garage who I have dealt with for years said, oh well just press the centre idrive button and it goes off.
But I still have two alarms showing on the speedo cluster one for seat belt and one for airbag.

CAN CHANGING THE BATTERY CAUSE THIS?
Thanks for your help, Steve
Old 09-29-2012, 05:11 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

There are few usual suspects for that airbag light -
- seat mat sensor (OC3 technical bulletin)
- IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) near the battery
- BST (Battery Safety Terminal) near the battery

If the cause is the first one, BMW will take care of it for free. If the cause is either of the other 2, then you will have to pay for them to replace.

Based on the history you gave, I'd bet BST or IBS to be the cause. Both are known to fail, may be not as frequent.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pcy
There are few usual suspects for that airbag light -
- seat mat sensor (OC3 technical bulletin)
- IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) near the battery
- BST (Battery Safety Terminal) near the battery

If the cause is the first one, BMW will take care of it for free. If the cause is either of the other 2, then you will have to pay for them to replace.

Based on the history you gave, I'd bet BST or IBS to be the cause. Both are known to fail, may be not as frequent.
Thanks, I will look into this, as my battery has been changed twice in a week I suspect it will be IBS or BST will let you know. Cheers Steve
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Members

hi there mate im new on here also and have the same issue only got the car a few weeks agon an 54 plate 530d sport. The light was on when i got the car with the exact message you are describing. Would be a great help if you could let me know what the fault was and what if annything it cost to put right many thanks iin advance....Colin..
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by C9LFS
hi there mate im new on here also and have the same issue only got the car a few weeks agon an 54 plate 530d sport. The light was on when i got the car with the exact message you are describing. Would be a great help if you could let me know what the fault was and what if annything it cost to put right many thanks iin advance....Colin..
Only way to find the exact root cause of the SRS light is to read the diagnostic codes. Most generic OBD-II code readers can't read BMW specific SRS codes. So, I'd suggest you to take the car to dealer and have them read the code and tell you what's wrong. You can decide if you want them to fix or not based on what they tell you.