E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important are those underbody panels??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2005

A puddle of standing water damaged 2 under body panels on my car, and now they drag and sound obnoxious. I have been searching for parts cars to no avail, so at this point I want to just remove the broken panels until i'm able to find a donor car. The panels I want to remove are as follows...

#4 on

#5 on

Could I manage without those 2 panels?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Which 2 panels did you lose / loosen? In addition to improving air flow (improve aerodynamics - reducing noise) under your car the large ones protect lots of "stuff" [ electrical connections, linkages, etc ] under the car from water and debris.Maybe you could try to duct tape them in place until you can obtain replacements.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by PrimeTimeTSA
A puddle of standing water damaged 2 under body panels on my car, and now they drag and sound obnoxious. I have been searching for parts cars to no avail, so at this point I want to just remove the broken panels until i'm able to find a donor car. The panels I want to remove are as follows...

#4 on

#5 on

Could I manage without those 2 panels?

Similar thing happened to me when I went over a big puddle of water. I lost the transmission cover panel #4 and engine panel #6 tore a bit. I had them off for about 6 months, spring and summer, then just went ahead and bought them from bmwmercedesparts.com since I didn't want all the snow and salt crud getting all over everything. Zero luck finding a junked E60.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

luigi said it best. Aerodynamics and debris protection. Otherwise, these panels 'do' nothing and can be removed until you find replacements.
Don't let them drag as they could cause damage if they hit something and get jammed upward into the parts they are supposed to protect. I had a piece damaged by a parking curb and the wind ripped it off on the highway so the car bucked as we drove over the part and turned it into dust.
Remember, most, if not all, older cars never had these panels until a decade or so ago. Importance=0
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Members

Awesome, thanks a million guys. I'm going to remove them today until I either find a donor, or cough up $400 to the dealer for these panels (yea right)
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Bavarian Auto has them listed for about $300. May be some other places with lower prices.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PrimeTimeTSA
Awesome, thanks a million guys. I'm going to remove them today until I either find a donor, or cough up $400 to the dealer for these panels (yea right)
I agree with other posters, don't let loose belly pans drag - but don't leave them off for a long period either. Depending upon your weather your engine compartment will become filthy, and you would be surprised how much protection they give components such as AC lines and the oil sump.

They have a large aerodynamic effect at high speeds and are designed to work with the air intake on the front of the car to provide maximum airflow through the engine compartment for cooling. Taking them off creates a dead air spot under the car and air won't enter the front of the car and exit with the same smooth flow. BMW has been an industry leader for some years in the design of undercar aerodynamics and the rest of the industry is finally starting to take notice.

My engine belly pan was damaged (one right under the engine). I bought a fiberglas repair kit that comes with mesh. Unless the belly pan is totally mangled you would be surprised what repairs you can effect. After you are finished with repairs use a litte black spray paint and it looks good enough for under the car and does its job well.

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analysis/bottoms
Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I agree with other posters, don't let loose belly pans drag - but don't leave them off for a long period either. Depending upon your weather your engine compartment will become filthy, and you would be surprised how much protection they give components such as AC lines and the oil sump.

They have a large aerodynamic effect at high speeds and are designed to work with the air intake on the front of the car to provide maximum airflow through the engine compartment for cooling. Taking them off creates a dead air spot under the car and air won't enter the front of the car and exit with the same smooth flow. BMW has been an industry leader for some years in the design of undercar aerodynamics and the rest of the industry is finally starting to take notice.

My engine belly pan was damaged (one right under the engine). I bought a fiberglas repair kit that comes with mesh. Unless the belly pan is totally mangled you would be surprised what repairs you can effect. After you are finished with repairs use a litte black spray paint and it looks good enough for under the car and does its job well.

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analysis/bottoms
I agree. I'm actually very good at fiberglass, but I'm missing a big chunk of the engine cover that attaches to the tranny cover (which is missing a chunk as well)
Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Those are pretty big pieces you lost. I would replace them. They also protect the car from rust. You're in NY so I bet without them alot of melted salty snow in the cold season could splash up and wreak havoc down there.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Those are pretty big pieces you lost. I would replace them. They also protect the car from rust. You're in NY so I bet without them alot of melted salty snow in the cold season could splash up and wreak havoc down there.
I agree. I'm searching for donor cars as we speak. Anyone have any good leads on junk yards that would have e60s in NY, preferably long island??

Quick Reply: How important are those underbody panels??