E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure - INTERESTING!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue (shadow line), Black Leather, Steptronic, Sports Pkg, M-Aero Kit w/RaceMesh Grille, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, HUD, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Sunshade, ALU Cube interior trim, Back-lit Door Sills, Comfort Seats!

I had this problem recently and the dealer said it was due to a battery under-voltage issue. Of course, they also took the opportunity to point out my "unfavorable driving profile" that others have noted (not enough trips of sufficient length to fully recharge the battery), and used that as an excuse not to replace the battery for free. Insult to injury -- they didn't even look at the car on the day of my appointment and hadn't yet called me by ~4:30pm to tell me it'd be +1 day late. I'll be going to another dealer from now on.

Now that I think about it, this was happening in late winter when I had guests in town, and we were all using the heated seats (front & rear), putting that extra drain on the system. The dealer recharged the battery, the guests went home, the weather warmed up, and I haven't had the restraint error since.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Originally Posted by steve-san' post='874278' date='May 10 2009, 01:42 PM
I had this problem recently and the dealer said it was due to a battery under-voltage issue. Of course, they also took the opportunity to point out my "unfavorable driving profile" that others have noted (not enough trips of sufficient length to fully recharge the battery), and used that as an excuse not to replace the battery for free. Insult to injury -- they didn't even look at the car on the day of my appointment and hadn't yet called me by ~4:30pm to tell me it'd be +1 day late. I'll be going to another dealer from now on.

Now that I think about it, this was happening in late winter when I had guests in town, and we were all using the heated seats (front & rear), putting that extra drain on the system. The dealer recharged the battery, the guests went home, the weather warmed up, and I haven't had the restraint error since.

Good luck.
yeah this is my third time that it popped up again after the first 2 times they so called changed it.... the restraint and my steering wheel malfunction popped up today when i jumped my car because it died heh (left key in ignition, dumb mistake) so now i gotta call and see whats the problem now.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

What do you mean you left the key in the ignition? I leave mine all the time over night when the car is park in the garage. Does that cause any problems with the E60's?

Originally Posted by NC916' post='874397' date='May 10 2009, 06:09 PM
yeah this is my third time that it popped up again after the first 2 times they so called changed it.... the restraint and my steering wheel malfunction popped up today when i jumped my car because it died heh (left key in ignition, dumb mistake) so now i gotta call and see whats the problem now.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='874556' date='May 10 2009, 10:28 PM
What do you mean you left the key in the ignition? I leave mine all the time over night when the car is park in the garage. Does that cause any problems with the E60's?
like i left it in the ignition with one turn on so i guess somehow it drained all my battery which last time i check the car lights was all off....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

REPORT:

Just got a call from my SA (good GAL) they scan the car and the report came back faulty battery (low charge) and that is why I'm getting the error message. Wouldn't you guys think that when the dealer scanned the car two weeks ago and found the crash sensors are the problem, the scan should've reported the faulty battery? I'm wondering now if the crash sensors were EVER the problem??? Of course I cannot prove any of this if I want to argue with the dealer! This is nuts! Now I have to find a local parts stores that sells BMW OEM batteries as I will not pay $500 for a battery from the dealer. If any of you guys know a place in Canada specifically in the Toronto area that sells BMW parts, please send me the name and phone number. Thanks

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='873696' date='May 9 2009, 04:10 PM
This is crazy if we are all experiencing the same thing! My car was never in an accident and the dealer put two new sensors couple of weeks ago. I will keep you guys posted once I take the car in next Tuesday.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='876215' date='May 12 2009, 11:35 AM
REPORT:

Just got a call from my SA (good GAL) they scan the car and the report came back faulty battery (low charge) and that is why I'm getting the error message. Wouldn't you guys think that when the dealer scanned the car two weeks ago and found the crash sensors are the problem, the scan should've reported the faulty battery? I'm wondering now if the crash sensors were EVER the problem??? Of course I cannot prove any of this if I want to argue with the dealer! This is nuts! Now I have to find a local parts stores that sells BMW OEM batteries as I will not pay $500 for a battery from the dealer. If any of you guys know a place in Canada specifically in the Toronto area that sells BMW parts, please send me the name and phone number. Thanks
It wont surprise me if it happens again, it could be bad batt cable that runs through the car. That sensor usually comes on if the seat matt sensor is bad or the bat terminal cable is bad, causing low voltage tot he car.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

wow...it finally happened! Passenger Restrain Malfunction!!

by the looks of it, i'm guessing my battery is also going dead. and my car is 5 yrs and 3 months. is there some kind of timer in these batteries that tell it to go dead after 5 years?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='882518' date='May 18 2009, 08:12 PM
wow...it finally happened! Passenger Restrain Malfunction!!

by the looks of it, i'm guessing my battery is also going dead. and my car is 5 yrs and 3 months. is there some kind of timer in these batteries that tell it to go dead after 5 years?
Took my '06 in for a moonroof issue under warranty. My SA said there was a recall for the front seat mat sensor and they would take care of that as well.
Two weeks later the "Passenger Restraint System Failure" warning appeared. Passenger airbag warning lamp would come on if you put any pressure on the passenger seat.
Back to the dealer.
Service order reads:
62148 dis tested and found fault 9404 SGM-SIM
Front sensor: wrong component. The fault was currently not present The provided test plan stated that the front sensor was wrong and to install the correct sensor
DIAGCODE: D6577_00000000_26_002
sib 65 67 06. The bulletin states that there is no known cause for the fault, and if it has occured less than 3 times and is currently not present, to clear the codes and release
the vehicle back to the customer.

Not sure what transpired there, but, the warning hasn't returned.

At least they threw out the welcome mat for me
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
ohshit.bmp (538.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by 530inOK' post='882565' date='May 18 2009, 06:42 PM
Took my '06 in for a moonroof issue under warranty. My SA said there was a recall for the front seat mat sensor and they would take care of that as well.
Two weeks later the "Passenger Restraint System Failure" warning appeared. Passenger airbag warning lamp would come on if you put any pressure on the passenger seat.
Back to the dealer.
Service order reads:
62148 dis tested and found fault 9404 SGM-SIM
Front sensor: wrong component. The fault was currently not present The provided test plan stated that the front sensor was wrong and to install the correct sensor
DIAGCODE: D6577_00000000_26_002
sib 65 67 06. The bulletin states that there is no known cause for the fault, and if it has occured less than 3 times and is currently not present, to clear the codes and release
the vehicle back to the customer.

Not sure what transpired there, but, the warning hasn't returned.

At least they threw out the welcome mat for me
very interesting! prior to the warning i had my 5 yr old daughter in the front pass. seat playing while we waited for her older sister to get done with school; car on with a/c. i just got back from an errand and no warning. hope it was just a fluke like your service order indicated. thanx for the tip 530inOK!!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - 2004 BMW 545i M Sport, Silver Grey, Auto, Remus Sports Muffler, BMC Air Filter. Previous - 2005 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, Auto, BMC Air Filter.

I also had this issue, first they replaced some seat belt tension sensor and after 300K's it popped up again.
When I took it in the second time they found some earth cable wasn't connected properly and re-did it.

It's been fine so far....hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure - INTERESTING!