E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure - INTERESTING!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

So I had this message on my iDrive few months ago and the dealer determined that the problem is the crash sensors in the front bumper and not the mate sensor as I have the comfort seats which don't have this problem. Couple of weeks ago I got the sensors replaced and everything went well until last night, I'm driving home and then the message (Restraint System Failure) pop up on the iDrive, WTF?

So what do you think the cause is now? What's interesting is this morning when I started the car, the message disappeared. Do you think the dealer will be able to recall this error message? I'm going in next week for a leak in my RAD (I think) to get it fixed, so the timing could not have been any better. I put in a call to my SA and waiting for a response.

The mate sensor problem is out of the question for me because I have the comfort seats and I was told by BMW Canada that my car is not in the recall.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Is this an extension of your previous post? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=74346
Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Yes it is but I noticed my previous post titled "Resetting The Battery" and that is not the problem I'm inquiring about now.

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='872741' date='May 8 2009, 05:35 PM
Is this an extension of your previous post? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=74346
Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='872755' date='May 8 2009, 05:47 PM
Yes it is but I noticed my previous post titled "Resetting The Battery" and that is not the problem I'm inquiring about now.
Roger that, I understand. Just making sure. Wish I could help, but I haven't run across this problem myself...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Smile

Come on guys, no one has any ideas!!

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='872734' date='May 8 2009, 05:31 PM
So I had this message on my iDrive few months ago and the dealer determined that the problem is the crash sensors in the front bumper and not the mate sensor as I have the comfort seats which don't have this problem. Couple of weeks ago I got the sensors replaced and everything went well until last night, I'm driving home and then the message (Restraint System Failure) pop up on the iDrive, WTF?

So what do you think the cause is now? What's interesting is this morning when I started the car, the message disappeared. Do you think the dealer will be able to recall this error message? I'm going in next week for a leak in my RAD (I think) to get it fixed, so the timing could not have been any better. I put in a call to my SA and waiting for a response.

The mate sensor problem is out of the question for me because I have the comfort seats and I was told by BMW Canada that my car is not in the recall.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: White 2004 545i sport

the SAME exact thing happened to me...

The light went on 3k miles ago... they said it was the wrong crash sensors in the bumper and someone put them in after my car was in an accident. The warranty wouldn't take care of it.

But my car has Never been in an accident before!

they reset it for me and it just went back on two days ago.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Members

I have the exact same problem, the car is scheduled for service next week, i asked 3 different mechanics, none knew what was wrong :/
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Got the same message about a month ago. Granted, we did have a bit of a dinger in the passenger side door, so we got a new panel and all, but a little after that, the passenger restraint error started coming on everytime I started the car. I have a feeling the sensor may have been messed up when the mechanic fixed it, possibly taken out and not put back in? I dunno. If it doesn't mean something serious is wrong and it's not covered by warranty, then I'll probably just leave it.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Could this be a serious Safety issue?? If so, then the dealership (or BMWNA) should be responsible to fix it... I recommend that you contact BMWNA for further guidance. My .02 (non-TARP; stimulus-related ) opinion.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

This is crazy if we are all experiencing the same thing! My car was never in an accident and the dealer put two new sensors couple of weeks ago. I will keep you guys posted once I take the car in next Tuesday.

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='873601' date='May 9 2009, 02:19 PM
Could this be a serious Safety issue?? If so, then the dealership (or BMWNA) should be responsible to fix it... I recommend that you contact BMWNA for further guidance. My .02 (non-TARP; stimulus-related ) opinion.

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure - INTERESTING!