E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restrainst System Sensor Locations

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!! I am currently having a problem with my restraint systems and get the warning everytime I start up. It does not specify driver side / passenger side; just a general warning mentioning Restraint System failure/airbag/seat tensioner/seatbelt force limiter/etc message.

My dealer had recently changed the battery and a part of the terminal as well. However no luck.

I have recently installed an aftermarket multimedia unit for reverse cam; front cam, etc and wanted to know where the sensors/modules for the restraint systems/airbags are. I had changed the adapter to the CD unit on the front dash and kinda forced the rest of the cables of the multimedia box in by pushing the CD system back into the bracket. I was wondering whether there are any sensors behind the CD player area, etc?

Or it could also very well be unrelated and be some other restraint failure. I Hope I solve it soon though.

Please help. Thanks.

Kris
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by krisaowa
Hi!! I am currently having a problem with my restraint systems and get the warning everytime I start up. It does not specify driver side / passenger side; just a general warning mentioning Restraint System failure/airbag/seat tensioner/seatbelt force limiter/etc message.

My dealer had recently changed the battery and a part of the terminal as well. However no luck.

I have recently installed an aftermarket multimedia unit for reverse cam; front cam, etc and wanted to know where the sensors/modules for the restraint systems/airbags are. I had changed the adapter to the CD unit on the front dash and kinda forced the rest of the cables of the multimedia box in by pushing the CD system back into the bracket. I was wondering whether there are any sensors behind the CD player area, etc?

Or it could also very well be unrelated and be some other restraint failure. I Hope I solve it soon though.

Please help. Thanks.

Kris
Depending on your car's date of manufacture, up to 09-2005, there is a Safety Gateway Module that the remote sensors communicate with. Via fiber-optic if I'm not mistaken.
Have you pulled the unit out and looked for anything broken or disconnected? The bad news is that even if you find something unplugged and reconnect it you'll have to
visit your dealer to get safety restraint/airbag error codes cleared.
Good luck with the repair and keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails Restrainst System Sensor Locations-safety-gateway-module.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Members

Well for the most part, I feel not much is harmed as after installing the unit, a couple of weeks went by before the restraint warning came up. just have to keep my fingers crossed!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
Depending on your car's date of manufacture, up to 09-2005, there is a Safety Gateway Module that the remote sensors communicate with. Via fiber-optic if I'm not mistaken.
Have you pulled the unit out and looked for anything broken or disconnected? The bad news is that even if you find something unplugged and reconnect it you'll have to
visit your dealer to get safety restraint/airbag error codes cleared.
Good luck with the repair and keep us posted.

how do you get to this? do you have to remove the dash or the glove box?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by krisaowa

Please help. Thanks.

Did you ever get this resolved? Is so how?
Kris
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Members

Hi! I've almost the same problems, someone told me there is a battery crash sensor which can cause the restraint systems warnings.. I want to replace or repair that sensor, but I can't find any information.. Does anyone know more about it?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jeroentjuhh
Hi! I've almost the same problems, someone told me there is a battery crash sensor which can cause the restraint systems warnings.. I want to replace or repair that sensor, but I can't find any information.. Does anyone know more about it?

Thanks!
did your car ever have the airbags deployed?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
did your car ever have the airbags deployed?
Yes that's true, I forgot to mention that.. I bought a car which had a small accident, but it's all repaired exept this error message. Do you think it has something to do with exploding airbags??
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

i had the same problem and im pretty sure my dealer replaced sensors that were in the floor i think on the passenger side or maybe both, good luck bro
Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Members

I've replace the complete battery terminal, which incluided the safety-terminal and it solved the problem! Thanks for your help guys!