E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting The Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Lightbulb

I search the forum on resetting the battery but did not find much. If I reset the battery by unplugging the wires, do I have to worry about messing something up?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='839627' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:55 PM
I search the forum on resetting the battery but did not find much. If I reset the battery by unplugging the wires, do I have to worry about messing something up?
Nope. At least not anything that's not OEM. The only problem you will have is the loss of your saved/programmed radio stations.

I've disconnected battery on mine a few times with out issue.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Members

Is there a reason that you are resetting the battery? The system does hold onto radio settings and Idrive settings for at least 30 minutes.

If you are replacing your battery, there has been some banter about needing to take the car to the dealer for some sort of programming. Some have done it and some have not.

Good luck with your issue
Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by richietherocket' post='839673' date='Apr 7 2009, 03:32 PM
If you are replacing your battery, there has been some banter about needing to take the car to the dealer for some sort of programming. Some have done it and some have not.
I think the folks that have taken their cars in have no or little mechanical or electrical knowledge and believe anything the dealer tells them. Utter BS in other words.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Lightbulb

The reason I want to reset the battery is because I got that stupid Airbag/seatbelt message after one year since the STEALER reset it for me. They tell me that the problem is the crash sensors in the front bumper and they want $800 - $900 to repair a $60 sensor because they have to remove the front bumper. I'm hoping if I disconect the battery it would reset the iDrive and I can go for another year or maybe longer before seeing it again.

I called BMW Canada to find out if my car is in the recall for the mat sensor problem, according to BMW because my car has a sports package it is not. Is this true? What does the sports package have to do with this?

Originally Posted by richietherocket' post='839673' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:32 PM
Is there a reason that you are resetting the battery? The system does hold onto radio settings and Idrive settings for at least 30 minutes.

Good luck with your issue
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='839681' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:40 AM
I think the folks that have taken their cars in have no or little mechanical or electrical knowledge and believe anything the dealer tells them. Utter BS in other words.
Sorry mate its not utter bullshit. Although I am sure you have extensive mechanical/electrical knowledege to draw your conclusions from.

When a battery is replaced the dealer 'tells' the car that it now has a new battery. All information in the car regarding its 'energy' history is cleared and the mileage of the battery replacement is recorded. For effective charging the DME needs to know about the new battery as well as its SOC and SOH and a number of other inputs.

Also, leaving your battery disconnected will not clear an airbag fault. If you rally dont want to pay the dealer for removing and refitting the front bar you could always take the bar off yourself have them fit the parts and then refit the bar yourself - they may not agree to this though

Good luck mate
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='839908' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:49 AM
The reason I want to reset the battery is because I got that stupid Airbag/seatbelt message after one year since the STEALER reset it for me. They tell me that the problem is the crash sensors in the front bumper and they want $800 - $900 to repair a $60 sensor because they have to remove the front bumper. I'm hoping if I disconect the battery it would reset the iDrive and I can go for another year or maybe longer before seeing it again.

I called BMW Canada to find out if my car is in the recall for the mat sensor problem, according to BMW because my car has a sports package it is not. Is this true? What does the sports package have to do with this?
Reset the battery is no use for your case.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by powers493' post='840199' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:28 AM
Sorry mate its not utter bullshit. Although I am sure you have extensive mechanical/electrical knowledege to draw your conclusions from.

When a battery is replaced the dealer 'tells' the car that it now has a new battery. All information in the car regarding its 'energy' history is cleared and the mileage of the battery replacement is recorded. For effective charging the DME needs to know about the new battery as well as its SOC and SOH and a number of other inputs.

Also, leaving your battery disconnected will not clear an airbag fault. If you rally dont want to pay the dealer for removing and refitting the front bar you could always take the bar off yourself have them fit the parts and then refit the bar yourself - they may not agree to this though

Good luck mate
+1 the E60 is quite a sophisticated car, they have this power module which controls charging of battery and all the electrical stuff, so whenever you change your battery and it is of different brand or CCA then you must tell the DME this for it too optimized the usage of the battery.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Smile

Hey Guys,

I fixed the below problem and the dealer replace two of the crash sensors but guess what! Last night I'm driving home and the seatbelt message came on again on my iDrive WTF? So what do you think the cause now? The crash sensors got replaced a month ago. What's interesting is this morning when I started the car, the message disappeared. Do you think the dealer will be able to recall the message? I'm going in next week for a leak in my RAD (I think) to get it fix, so the timing could not have been any better. I put in a call to my SA and waiting for a response.

So what do you think the reason this time for the message to come back? The mate sensor is out of the question because I have the conformt seats and I was told by BMW Canada that my car is not in the recall. I'm getting tired of this message.......

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='839908' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:49 PM

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

What does it mean to "reset" the battery?

Quick Reply: Resetting The Battery