E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i MSport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S54

I changed my oil early so I tried to reset it without having a yellow or red symbol (it still showed that I have 14000 miles remaining) and it gave me an "OK" instead of RESET. Does this mean that you can't reset it till it's due?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
New Members

OK, so I have watched this thread with great interest as I have just changed my oil and plugs according to the intervals on the computer. All done the work, but cannot get the reset to work. I have followed the procedure exactly and also the one on the Bentley manual as they all differ slightly. I do not get the yellow "!" at all and then it jumps to German with what looks like serial and code number lists. I am at a loss now. My ODB2 reader will not even connect to the car any more. It really smacks of BMW protectionism forcing me back to the stealership. Any other bright ideas? I have a 2007 525Xi. Thanks, Dave
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Try this method, this is how I did mine last week on my 2005 535d. I was into the red at -800 miles too.

Go into IDRIVE service menu.
Select Oil >
then press and hold down the trip reset until the exclamation light comes on, then the oil symbol.>
Press again quickly >
(RESET message appears)
Press again & then maybe again quickly (can't quite remenber).
Oil light reset to longlife 19k miles.

This worked for me and is a slightly different procedure to the one I think you guys are using.

Let us know if it works.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Since the reset button doesn't work for you, you need a DIS, some mentioned INPA could work too, but I don't know how to do it with INPA. With DIS v57 got to function selection, service menu, reset CBS Data, you can figure it out once you are in that menu. If you don't have this tool then you have to go to the dealer.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by Sorta
OK, so I have watched this thread with great interest as I have just changed my oil and plugs according to the intervals on the computer. All done the work, but cannot get the reset to work. I have followed the procedure exactly and also the one on the Bentley manual as they all differ slightly. I do not get the yellow "!" at all and then it jumps to German with what looks like serial and code number lists. I am at a loss now. My ODB2 reader will not even connect to the car any more. It really smacks of BMW protectionism forcing me back to the stealership. Any other bright ideas? I have a 2007 525Xi. Thanks, Dave
I've done it a couple of times before and it is super easy but now it doesn't work anymore. This mysteriously happened after a visit to the dealer. My Indy mechanic has done it before on my car also and now he can't do it either. If you got to the German screen, you held the button down too long some place along the way.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Did you ever get this issue taken care of? I thought about it yesterday when I was a friends house that is replacing my water pump. He worked several years at a BMW dealer and now works for our company. Some how this came up in conversation and I mentioned your situation and he said anytime the indicator goes in a negative number you are at risk of the procedure not working. He recently had a car that he repaired at home on the side in the same situation. He told me he doesn't know for sure the far into the negative it can go without digging into the books and he is sure the brakes were less than the oil when it comes to going over due. It can still be reset but would have to be done manually at the dealer. He has all the software inpa edibas etc but not the level the dealer has. This car he was referring to, he could not reset and the owner took it to BMW and they reset it. Maybe if they will not reset it for you, have them change the oil so they can reset it, hopefully this would take care of it.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Stealer wants $250 to change the oil believe it or not. That's just crazy. My indy mechanic does it for $80. inpa, dss, were not able to reset it. I tried using BM Technic a couple of weeks ago but to no avail. I believe it was at -360 the first time my mechanic tried to reset it. Its now been sitting at -6000 which is probably the maximum.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

OUCH! is there another dealer available in your area? That is way over the top for an oil change, but could be that it's that way because they know what has to be done. I have no idea about what manually resting it does, but I too would think one of the application like inpa etc would be what he was referring to. After he told me this and knowing of your situation I will never let mine go negative. I did once with the brakes but I thinking it was just around 100-200 or so. But from he told me the brakes are more critical than the oil or rather will goof up on you quicker.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

UPDATE:

A friend of mine just tried to reset the oil service using BM Technic Diagnostic software and it could not reset it either.

The software identified a fault with the oil sensor.

I believe someone earlier mentioned that it might be the oil sensor.

It is time to have my oil changed and I will have my indy mechanic replace the oil sensor then.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Ok, I've been following this thread so let us all know the outcome.

Quick Reply: Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?