E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52
Thumbs up

my mechanic just changed my oil (of which he has done before) and previously he has reset the oil service indicator without a problem. today he tells me that it won't let him reset it. i had my car at the dealer on tuesday and maybe they did an update or something that might have locked it out. do you guys know anything about this? thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Never heard of that one. Maybe he was missing something. Search for the procedure here and do it yourself. You have to do it exactly the way it describes.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

i found the procedure, and got the same results as my mechanic. you get to the RESET? pretty easily and then keep holding in the button. "-320" changes into "---" and when you keep holding the button it changes back to "-320" without resetting.

ok what are we doing wrong?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by donpb
ok what are we doing wrong?
Are you sure the ignition switch is in the proper position? That is position 2, but engine not started.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

yep its in position 2, engine not started. it's 320 miles over due. i wonder if that makes a difference?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I don't think so because mine actually went over a little as well. Here is what I have. Sorry, can't credit the source, as I don't have it. I am sure it came from this forum though...

1. Turn ignition on to terminal 15. Button pushed twice. All lights on, no engine.
2. Close all doors.
3. Press and hold the instrument cluster set/reset button for 10 seconds
4. The upper display in the cluster will be illuminated with a service item. E.G. an oil can is designated for oil service. The lower display in the cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that service item. PRESSING the button repeatedly will all the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service items.
5. When Oil Can appears in message center release the reset button.
6. Reset message will appear, push once more.

System is now reset.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

I found that I couldn't reset my State Inspection warning after it changed from yellow to red. My conclusion was that there's a window during which the alerts are user-resettable, then you get locked out. Had to get the shop to reset it with a GT1. If you know somebody with NCSExpert, I'm sure that can do it.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I found that I couldn't reset my State Inspection warning after it changed from yellow to red. My conclusion was that there's a window during which the alerts are user-resettable, then you get locked out. Had to get the shop to reset it with a GT1. If you know somebody with NCSExpert, I'm sure that can do it.
Interesting... I use mine for an oil change reminder but I'm thinking it might have been red and I could change the date with the console controller. I know it was yellow because it was coming on time. I will take your warning though, just in case. Anything to keep out of the stealership!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Members

This might sound dumb and simple but is your door closed when you do it? On mine (2008 528i), I tried the steps but didn't work at first. Then I closed my door and it worked like a charm. When I had my door open and I did the steps, all I got was this weird menu with a bunch of weird numbers as I cycled through them.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

i did that like a million times. did not work.

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I don't think so because mine actually went over a little as well. Here is what I have. Sorry, can't credit the source, as I don't have it. I am sure it came from this forum though...

1. Turn ignition on to terminal 15. Button pushed twice. All lights on, no engine.
2. Close all doors.
3. Press and hold the instrument cluster set/reset button for 10 seconds
4. The upper display in the cluster will be illuminated with a service item. E.G. an oil can is designated for oil service. The lower display in the cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that service item. PRESSING the button repeatedly will all the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service items.
5. When Oil Can appears in message center release the reset button.
6. Reset message will appear, push once more.

System is now reset.

Quick Reply: Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?