E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by healthservices
This just happen to me on a car I was working on yesterday and I was able to get it to reset by resetting it twice when it asked if I wanted to reset. I spent 20 minutes before figuring this out.
What do you mean resetting it twice? Doing the complete procedure back to back two times? Curious, as I am following this thread.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Yes please explain. I did the reset twice and also back to back procedure and still did not reset. I haven't yet tried with the seat belt buckled or the oil service selected in the i-drive. I drive two cars and have been driving my other car and my 5-series is left at another location.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

don't know it happen so quick, but it was just like yours it would ask if you want to reset and I released and pushed down... it went _ _ _ then some minus number number, I released and pushed down again and it asked if I wanted to reset again so I released and pushed down but this time it went to 15000 so I pulled the key out and reinserted, all was good afterwards.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I just now tried all of the new suggestions. It still did not reset.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I wonder if the oil quality sensor is failing. Wierd issue to witness. Since the system uses fuel consumption and oil electrical conductivity reads from the oil quality sensor to determine the change schedule, a failing sensor may cause the computer to fault (speculatory of course).
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

PS - Here's a .pdf explaining how the sensor works. Good luck - keep us posted on what it turns out to be!

BMW-oil-sensor.pdf
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

hey guys check this out. updated information...

i have another thread about my blower fan going wacky. now just today i am getting a passenger restraint fault. on top of the mysterious oil service interval that refuses to reset. this crap didn't start until i had my car in for that damn battery cable recall shiz. everything was working peachy before that. hmmm. the dealer said the battery recall was just to put a cover on the cable. b-fkn shit. i read it was to re-mount the cable more secure. damn it.

all this stuff happening is just too coincidental. what do you all think?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

oh you guys are just gonna love this.

the dealer refused to reset the oil service interval because they did not do the work. wtf?!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

LOOOOOL
Tell them ever since they did the battery cable you've experienced all of the above. Your INDY shop did the oil and could not reset the oil indicator. Persist and they should help.
This is precisely why I have not taken my car into the dealer. I know my car inside and out and there is nothing they can do for me in regards to a battery cable. The risk is too high for me.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

If you know someone with INPA or if another member here is close to you, just have them go in and reset it. But I agree, it should be re settable unless there is a sensor issue. .... same as brake pads

Quick Reply: Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?