E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reset of brake pad after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
I know this is an old topic discussed earlier,but what happened with me is a bit strange.I have replaced the front brake pads,tried to reset the idrive by entering the reset menu on the dash board,i have pressed the button for 5 seconds after reset has appeared,then a series of dashes was shownAfter that,When the brake pad reset is done,the display read -15000KM and it was red tagged on the idrive.After so many attempts it was not successful.Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank u
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

I'm sure if there is anything here but I've found this on youtube.

Hope it helps..

Originally Posted by waelfarhat
Hi Guys,
I know this is an old topic discussed earlier,but what happened with me is a bit strange.I have replaced the front brake pads,tried to reset the idrive by entering the reset menu on the dash board,i have pressed the button for 5 seconds after reset has appeared,then a series of dashes was shownAfter that,When the brake pad reset is done,the display read -15000KM and it was red tagged on the idrive.After so many attempts it was not successful.Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank u
Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

You changed the pads, but did you change the worn-down brake pad wear sensor?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM
New Members

More info is needed bud, if you did change the brake pads and the sensors all around then your next step is the video, now if you only changed the pads then the sensor need to be replace and then move on to the video. Hope it helps.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Members

I have changed the pads before they got worn out.The i drive was showing 10,000km still left for change.the sensors didn't light in red at all,the replacement was a part of a preventive maintenance only.
The mechanic confirmed that there is no need for the sensors replacement as long the idrive shows a green indication of 10,000km.
Tnycman:thank u for the video, i have followed these steps very acurately,but didn't succeed yet.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Members

I forgot to tell that after pads replacement i drove the car for 2 days with no problems or error messages.I have tried to reset the front brakes after two days of the replacement ,where my problem has started.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Hi.

I had this exact problem recently when i changed th pads on my 530i M Sport petrol.

I would say regardless of what your mechanic says, replace the sensor as the end of it has a horn like appearance and this wears down and then earths out causing sensor to provide info to idrive and say that discs need replacing.

After a certain amount of time, the sensor is useless as it will be too worn done to use.

I replaced the discs and the pads on the front and a £10 sensor from Euro car parts.

Everything was fine with the bosch discs and pads but i tried to reset the sensor using the dashboard reset it didnt work.

I must have tried 50 times. It still said 9000 miles overdue (which is around 15000km)

In the end after two weeks of the light being on and the oil needing changing, i gave up with the reset and asked the dealer to attempt to reset it.

It had to go to the dealer as no one else seemed to be able to sort it

Even though i put a genuine sensor on before it went to the dealer, it didnt make any difference to the reset as the system needed a full reset.

It turned out it needed a full brake software reset. It didnt cost much but i know some dealers might not do the reset if they did not do the work.

With them charging over £300 thats why did the work myself.

Use a genuine sensor (£20) when doing the brakes as this probably makes all the difference. I will first time round next time.

The weird thing about it was that I did the rear brakes fine with dash reset.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Just re-read your post.....

Your problem sound s like a sensor problem. It worked fine without the reset not showing any replacement due (10000km left) then when you tried to reset it, it then went to -15000km.

This is exactly what mine did.

Its a sensor problem. Either not connected properly or needs a new one.

If dash reset does not work after 5 times trying to reset then a dealer visit may be required.

Posts on the forum state that you try at least 3 times with new sensor to try to rest as it sometimes takes a few goes to reset it