E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replacement HUD windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
After a close second look, it is Pilkington...first time I ever used the glass and first time i cared to get close enough to a piece of glass to actually look at the name and sound it out. You knew what I was referring to. If you get windnoise, that's simply from a poor bead lay, nothing more. As far as Range Rovers, the look interests me, the money really isn't the issue but I'd have a hard time justifying spending money that could be used to feed the less fortunate or to keep them warm on cold nights rather than to spoil myself....in fact I really have a love/hate relationship with this E60. There's a story behind it and that's why I own it. I'd never go out and drop my money on a piece of plastic, metal and glass just because it makes me feel good or it looks good etc etc....just not that type of guy. I'd drive a little VW bug from the 60's with no shame. Rust and all.
Yea I knew what you were referring too but you kept putting "plinkton" so I thought you were trying to be a smart ass and correct me
Range Rovers are nice trucks, I'd lease one but would never buy one.
I'd drive alot of cars with no shame but a Bug is not one of them.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
After a close second look, it is Pilkington...first time I ever used the glass and first time i cared to get close enough to a piece of glass to actually look at the name and sound it out. You knew what I was referring to. If you get windnoise, that's simply from a poor bead lay, nothing more. As far as Range Rovers, the look interests me, the money really isn't the issue but I'd have a hard time justifying spending money that could be used to feed the less fortunate or to keep them warm on cold nights rather than to spoil myself....in fact I really have a love/hate relationship with this E60. There's a story behind it and that's why I own it. I'd never go out and drop my money on a piece of plastic, metal and glass just because it makes me feel good or it looks good etc etc....just not that type of guy. I'd drive a little VW bug from the 60's with no shame. Rust and all.
"If you get windnoise, that's simply from a poor bead lay, nothing more."

That statement is far from accurate. Many BMW's are very sensitive to exact placement and fit of the windsheild to prevent wind noise. Mounted to high, low, in/out, up/down, whatever can drastically affect wind noise. BMW has very precise windsheild replacement instructions that are rarely referenced or performed by glass shops. Just an FYI.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Well after calling around and doing some research online I found that yes you can put a regular windshield on there. Most people do not see the double numbers in the glass. Standard after market windshield is $279 installed in Orange county. Original equipment manufacture is $499

After market price for a HUD replacement glass if $689 but she is going to call to make sure of the price she is also going to call to see what my price is with dealer glass. for the dealer glass it will be $729

Let's see how much of a tight wad I'm going to be this month.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by healthservices
Well after calling around and doing some research online I found that yes you can put a regular windshield on there. Most people do not see the double numbers in the glass. Standard after market windshield is $279 installed in Orange county. Original equipment manufacture is $499

After market price for a HUD replacement glass if $689 but she is going to call to make sure of the price she is also going to call to see what my price is with dealer glass. for the dealer glass it will be $729

Well it's really a matter of perspective in your case. There's not really much of a difference in price between the aftermarket HUD glass and the dealer glass...$50 difference isn't much but depends on the glass material etc I guess. Up to you.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by DavidF

That statement is far from accurate. Many BMW's are very sensitive to exact placement and fit of the windsheild to prevent wind noise. Mounted to high, low, in/out, up/down, whatever can drastically affect wind noise. BMW has very precise windsheild replacement instructions that are rarely referenced or performed by glass shops. Just an FYI.
Well, you must be one of those "selective" readers. Does the statement rest by itself? Technically THAT statement has NOTHING to do with BMW's does it? Read it again....

Now, if you throw the BMW variable in there, which we can assume is the prerequisite of this entire forum unless otherwise stated.....
With that said, It is either the poor bead or the factory placing the windshield on their poorly laid bead which in turn gives way for their windshield "placement" excuse. If you position the windshield incorrectly the corresponding parts on the E60 would not fit! However, if you had laid a poor bead and the windshield did indeed fit you may get a tiny bubble in there which give room for air and thus allowing wind noise to enter.

So I defend my first statement and ask that you provide the information that you're given to us so that we may be a bit more informed before taking your side.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices

Hi healthservices, i am currently in a situation where i need to replace my front windshield due to crack. Could you please tell more about the aftermarket replacement that you got, and possibly leave me the contact information of your installer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I just used one of the glass quoting services online to get a rough quote. Then I called to see if there were differences for HUD, this where I got the other prices.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

For whatever it is worth, Corvette owners regularly use regular windshields when replacing a HUD windshield. They claim there is little difference in the end result (other than price). Check out their forums.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

I'll do the replacement hud option, with an indy installer. looks like the best option all things considered.

many thanks, forum members!!!