E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replaced E39 with E60 five weeks ago

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I drove two E39 540i six-speeds over 6 years before the E60. When people ask me how I like it compared to the older one, my favorite response is:

"BMW took a perfect car and perfected it."
Old 11-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='201499' date='Nov 21 2005, 12:43 PM
I drove two E39 540i six-speeds over 6 years before the E60. When people ask me how I like it compared to the older one, my favorite response is:

"BMW took a perfect car and perfected it."
Good answer, Rudy.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='201471' date='Nov 21 2005, 05:38 PM
Oh dear, pannick mode ........

2 days ago I sold my E39 - a beautiful condition 528i SE Auto that I've run since 12 months old - 5 years of virtually trouble free motoring Top spec model - leather, climate, sun-roof, big wheels, etc etc etc., and I have to admit to being quite sad to see it go. However...............

I've another 10 days to wait and I'll take delivery of my E60 - a manual (stick!) shift oil burner! The day that I spent testing one, I found the i-drive to be pretty user friendly - my only real issue was that the "oh so very handy" manual temperature control on the E39s centre vents has been replaced with a 3-step control through the i-drive - totally mad downgrade.
The indicators are as stated, a complete non-sensical change on an international system that leaves little needing changing - but having ridden BMW motorcycles in the past I know they're not unfamiliar to developing odd setups!

Only other downside that I envisage, is that the E39 was effectively the "best car you could buy in the real world" - a very solid and pleasurable workhorse - I'm a little worried the E60 may not live up to the same. I've gone for a non-sport model with the basic sports suspension (non-M) as an option - this combined with 17" wheels should make the run-flats almost bearable. I hope!

Waiting in anticipation though!

1. Though a lot of people have the Steptronic, the 6-spd manual works very well in the context of a 525d (is that what you're getting?) - perhaps a little awkward around town, mainly due to the typical 30mph limit falling awkwardly between 2nd and 3rd gear, but on the open road it is sweet.

2. Coming from a 528i, you'll detect a bit more engine noise with a diesel, particularly at idle, but it is streets ahead of the competition (Mercedes notably) in terms of refinement - with my 525d the 'diesel clatter' is massively less noticeable than in X5 3.0d, note, especially after a few thousand miles - on the move it fades into the background, engine note under acceleration is pretty characterful/sporty - you are also looking at 42-45mpg cruising on the motorway

3. I test drove a 525i SE with 17 inch rims, and the runflat issue, while not as pronounced (ie unbearable) as with my M-Sport/18 inch wheels setup, is still noticeable - car just doesn't seem properly planted on the road. Suck it and see I guess! If you do think about changing, the benefits are not just ride comfort, but also way enhanced handling and traction.

4. Indicators - confused me at first too... you can tun off the '3-signal' option in the i-Drive (which is perfectly fine once you get used to it)... however, I recently drove an X5 and the standard indicators seemed totally prehistoric in comparison... you very quickly get used to the 'quick nudge' on the stalk, especially when changing lanes.

Enjoy!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 530D Sport Auto plus bits.

I must admit I have driven a few SE models with the 17" run flats and they feel completely wooden compared to my 530d Sport with the standard 18" rims. Interestingly this is completely opposite of Idoru's view. The one thing I have noticed is that two late model cars I have driven recently, one was a 525d Sport and the other was a 530d SE had much lighter steering that mine. I could understand the SE model with the smaller/narrower wheels but the 525d Sport had exactly the same rubber/rims but the steering was so light it felt like you were detached from the road as there was almost zero resistance when turning the wheel.

Before anyone shouts, neither had any of the extra steering options fitted.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by red-max' post='201363' date='Nov 21 2005, 06:38 AM
I still hate the indicator controls, with a vengeance. Why did BMW think they needed to "improve" the indicator stalk operation of the E39? What idiot thought that giving the computer control of the indicators was better than letting the driver decide when to cancel them?

Do mine cancel automatically when "fully" turned on? I haven't noticed that. Is it just a non-US thing?

I am appalled that the same senseless design is being propagated into the new E90 3-Series too. It's going to cause accidents. People coming from other cars are going to continue to signal when they didn't intend to, and won't be able to turn off the turn signal when they need to. Madness. One of my friends summed it up nicely: "Whoever designed these indicator controls has never actually driven a car". I think there's a real opportunity for an aftermarket kit to replace the indicator stalk with a "normal" manually controlled version.

Boy, they work well for me. Your's must be different.

Other minor gripes: the runflats are pretty awful

Lot's of people agree. I liked mine fine, but I switched to PS2's for reasons other than not liking the runflats.

, and the runflat monitoring system has already given me one false alarm 120 miles from home, probably caused by wet leaves on the ground allowing wheelspin when pulling out of a junction.

We ocassionally get a false on our X5.

The interior trim creaks and the standard sound system is very tinny (especially playing CDs) and nowhere near as good as the one in the E39. The "sports" steering wheel is nowhere near as good as the M-Sport steering wheel in my E39, which was nice and chunky with soft leather. The new one is hard and thinner, it has good grip but is just not as pleasant to hold, whereas the old one was a joy.

I like the premium sound and the 545i steering wheel very well. Nothing creaks on my car; I hope it doesn't start.

Plans:

1) I'd really like to replace the run-flats. They're very noisy (particularly on certain road surfaces) and they feel very hard when going over bumps in the road. I guess by design there's no give in the tyre walls, and I can really feel it - as others have described it is like driving on solid wooden wheels. My car has only done 15K miles, so there's still plenty of tread left on the tyres, especially the fonts, so I am a little reluctant to throw them away. I might wait until the rears are worn out, and get a complete set of normal tyres then.

Buy wheels and tires, and keep the run flats/original wheels for trips; that's what I did.

2) I would like to get the DMS ECU upgrade. I plan to keep the car 3 years, so I will get most benefit by getting it done sooner. However I am concerned at the increase in insurance premiums (you need to inform insurance company to be sure car is insured in case of a serious accident - and to be able to sleep at night). My new insurance year starts mid December, so I will find out more in the next few weeks as I shop around for best deal with and without chipping.

Good luck.

In summary, I feel it was an upgrade - just a bit annoying that some things are worse. Like many on this forum, I really like the E60, but wish BMW would sort out the minor niggles that prevent this from being a truly great car.

Enjoy. I have never met a perfect car.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='201526' date='Nov 21 2005, 07:49 PM
I must admit I have driven a few SE models with the 17" run flats and they feel completely wooden compared to my 530d Sport with the standard 18" rims. Interestingly this is completely opposite of Idoru's view. T
Both are wooden, or more precisely like wooden wheels, but the Sport is like wooden wheels on cobblestones The 525i SE W/ Steptronic was a surprisingly dreary drive I must say... hence the manual 525d Sport!

As for steering weight (or lack of), I found the steering felt slightly heavier once the RFs were swapped out; turn in also became less sharp (though both were expected).
Old 11-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributors

I had the E39 before the E60. The e39 was a fine car...
...but the idrive did not bother me a bit. i think it is one of the coolest thing in the car.

Enjoy your e60.!!!! she is lovely once you get used to her.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by red-max' post='201363
Hi, this is my first post. I've had my E60 530d just over 5 weeks now, after upgrading from my previous E39 525d. It's not a brand new car (530d SE, March 2004, 15K miles), but it's new to me, so I thought it would be useful to share my experience with the forum to help others who might be considering trading up from an E39 to an E60.
Hi red-max and welcome. I too upgraded from my trusty e39 523i SE about 5 weeks ago now for an E60 525i SE. My initial experiences are almost identical to yours and if it were not for the fact that I'd had the old car for nearly 6 years and it had covered just over 99k miles, I would probably have stuck with it as it was everything I ever wanted in a car. Anyway, now that I have aclimatised to the E60, it's definately growing on me, and I'd like to think that we will have a long and happy relationship. There are one or two things I miss from the old model, but on balance I guess I will soon forget about them.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Members

WELCOME
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

we also upgraded from a 2002 E39 525i to a 2005 E60 530i Sport. I still think the interior design to the E39 models are better then that of the E60, but the E60 is not bad at all, just personal preferances I guess. styling wise the E39 is a classic BMW design and still looks freshy and beautifull. The E60 design is new and inovative and looks nice and agressive and not boring like the new Infiniti M35/45, Lexus GS430, and Mercedes Benz E350/500. ride quality of my past 525i with the standard suspension setup still felt slightly better then that of my E60 530i but I am sure a switch of Runflats to none runflats would change that quickly. the E60 is def hands down ahead of the E39 in handling and steering. PERIOD. Overall I think BMW did a great job of upgrading to a new 5 series with this new E60 model range. only things i would change in the E60 models would be a digital display of the climate controls like the E39 or like the new E90, as well as make iDrive an option with Navagation like the E90 models. Active antiroll bars should become standard on all E60's just like on the US spec E65/66 and E63.