E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove mods when going in for service

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove mods when going in for service

Hey fellas,

I was wondering for those who have software mods on your cars, do you remove it prior to
service?

I'm going in for service to get some long standing items addressed next week, and I was wondering if i should take off my Sprinter Booster. I was planning on just turning it off and leaving it mounted. I went once already with it mounted, but it was a same day service and the only issue they were addressing on the car was a burnt out brake like socket.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

That really depends on your SA. Some smoke a lot of crack and can be a PITA! I have JB4 in mine but I am out of warranty so I could care less what they have to say. I can give you two examples where this issue came to light.
1. Car was still had a little warranty and I had removed the rear pass. control panel to tap into the power socket so I could bring it on the console. In doing so I damaged one of the clips. While in for service I asked the SA could he get me a clip and add to bill and just put in the ashtray, I would take care of it. Later I found out that the clip is only available with the trim panel. The SA made a write up in my folder that the owner had modified the electrical system and took a few pictures for the file and I think something regarding warranty. Nothing else ever happened or was mentioned about this.

2. Car was out of warranty I had symptoms of a failed HPFP and took car to dealer. I received a phone call at lunch saying they cannot read the OBD and that I have some aftermarket software and needed to come collect car and remove this before they can work on it. I freaked because I thought they might use this not to cover the pump under warranty. I actually had forgotten to turn off the JB4! went dwn to dealer and had to pay a service bio of 150.00 or so. My file was on the counter and it must have had 10 different photos of the JB4 installed in the E-box and a statement that said customer has added aftermarket software Collected car, removed JB4 and took it to another dealer then discovered that my problem was a fuel sensor.

Both events got my attention but ended ok. There was another person I spoke with last year that had a similar problem but the dealer refused to work on car period. From my understanding, if the device you install damages the car of course you are responsible, but the dealer cannot just make a blanket statement saying your warranty is voided because of this. Well, they can, but they would have to prove this device actually caused the damage. Like with a HPFP they might say it was the JB4 that caused this, but all the while they know there is a historical problem with the older pumps.

So now that you have read my long ass response, my thought now is, IF I can easily remove the device I will. At a minimum I always turn them off. The car has been in a couple time since and I just turn off the JB4 and have had no problems since.

Last edited by tonyb635; 12-06-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i, Dinan intake, Dinan exhaust, RPI ram air scoop, smoke vinyled taillights and eyebrow on headlights, smoked LED side markers, 17 piece LED interior lights, color matched fog lights to HID's, 20w LED angel eyes, Sprintbooster V2, Gunmet

I've taken my car in for service and they've never said anything about the Sprint Booster. Maybe it's because I've unplugged it, but I've never disabled it. I have it on sport mode all the time. Good luck bro.