E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Remote Key Fob Working Distance

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by higher' post='1053918' date='Nov 13 2009, 10:04 AM
But the antena is in the C pillar behind 2-3mm of painted / treatd steel.
How can tints with a micron level of metal stop it working when the antena is behind that much steel anyway
This statement by BMW is beyond beleif.

When I had this problem, I just took the car to BMW asked for the service manager and told him this is your car I don't want it back until it is fixed, so don't tell me 'we don't have the part's, or we don't know what the problem is" just fix it and call me when it''s done. It was fixed in 24hrs, this was following 2-3 visits with no success and lot of excuses from service dept.
This topic has been discussed many times in the past but there seems to be continuing confusion over some of the concepts including the antenna locations and key fob battery charging. Here are some of the more relevant facts:
  • Comfort access key fobs, unlike the non-CA fobs, are not rechargeable via the key slot. CA fobs have a replaceable CR-2032 battery. Conversely, the non-CA fobs do, in fact, recharge via the slot so once in a while you may want to use your spare key to keep it charged up. When the fob battery is low, I'm pretty sure the car gives you a warning message about it.
  • The antenna for the remote control services (like unlocking, locking, window & roof opening & closing, etc.) is located on the rear window glass, not behind the C-pillar. This is why metallic tint will affect the reception.
  • Comfort access cars have a few more antennas to help the car determine where the fob is located. For example, for CA to work as designed, the car has to know if the key is on the right side, on the left side, inside the car's interior, or inside the trunk.
  • There are additional antenna-related electronic modules located in various parts of the car. One of the electronic modules, for example, is the diversity antenna amplifier. This amplifier is physically connected to the rear window to provide signal amplification, etc., and in some cases, the replacement of this amp (or simply the cleaning of the contacts) has solved people's remote control and/or AM & FM radio reception problems.
The following links may help clarify these points as well as explain things in more detail...

Comfort access details:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?autoco...i&img=10674

Link to an older post containing a .pdf of the aerial locations in the rear window:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=509866

Instructions on removing the diversity antenna:
Master_Remove_antenna_amplifier__diversity_.pdf
Link to a recent thread dealing with the replacement of the diversity antenna amplifier:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=89011
Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thread on it ... Would appreciate your input.
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...t-89011/page6/
Thanks.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Holding the key under your chin while depressing the button aids reception distance.

It's weird but works.

Experienced this with the 360 Ferrari before finding the antenna wire behind the seats and pulling it out and away from the metal panels.

Not much can be done with BMW to enhance reception distances as could be done with the Ferrari.