E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

everybody complains about stop and go traffic with a manual. I actually like it. I live in NYC btw. In NYC, traffic is more like stoooooooooooooooooooop then go, stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop again then go, repetitively. So I leave it in neutral without holding the brake with my right foot. I have a 6 spd manual. I could've chose a 545i with SMG but I went with manual since I believe all BMWs should be manual. It's a childhood thing.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550i Bone Stock

I love the Sport trans. of the 550.
After driving a Honda S2000 with manual for 6 years I was ready for a change and havent regretted a bit.
Just my 0.02 cents
Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='610308' date='Jun 25 2008, 09:59 PM
everybody complains about stop and go traffic with a manual. I actually like it. I live in NYC btw. In NYC, traffic is more like stoooooooooooooooooooop then go, stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop again then go, repetitively. So I leave it in neutral without holding the brake with my right foot. I have a 6 spd manual. I could've chose a 545i with SMG but I went with manual since I believe all BMWs should be manual. It's a childhood thing.

Haha yup I agree... manual is easier to drive in traffic.
Manual?? I didnt know the CLK came in manual...
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Members

Manual was a must-have for me... I had gone to a Step-Auto in the X5s, and it is just not the same. If you want a sportier driving experience, get the manual... A Step in manual mode is a joke if you have ever owned a manual tranny car.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

When replacing my '95 525i 5-speed of 13 years, I thought "I'm gonna look at an Auto because I'm tired of chaning gears". I did. I looked at a very nice E350 w/ AMG package. It had a 7-speed Auto which was very sweet. I also looked at the 535i with Auto...not sure if it was steptonic, sport auto or what. But whatever it was, it was MUCH worse than the E350 Auto...the BMW Auto was very jerkey from starts, and did a lot of shifting. Anyway, other than the transmission, I liked the BMW a LOT more...but could not live with that Auto. The dealer just happen to have the exact same 535i in a Manual....I was lucky I guess. After driving it, the choice was clear...I got the Manual and love it!

The only issue I have with the manual, is the gear rattle that I get when the car is in Nuetral with the clutch not pushed in...when I push the clutch in, the rattle is gone. I've asked others, and no one else seems to have this problem though.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

MAN! I LOVE my manual gearbox, I've heard people on this board complaining about the shift action being harsh, but I fail to see it, my car is quick and smooth, but oooh so refined! I used to have an 85' Maxima, with a stick that was a lot of fun to drive, and this car reminds me of that car, only quicker, more power, and more luxurious! In my humble opinion: if you add a stick and sports package, and 19 or 20in. wheels to the 530 or 550, you have the best of both worlds, luxury AND sports car! (I'm sure Porsche enthusist will want to take me to task on the sports car portion of my statement, but hopefully my fellow E60ites will come to my defense )
Old 06-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I ended up owning 3 BMWs precisely because I could get a manual, after owning several slush boxen. It's both easier and more entertaining to drive.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='612009' date='Jun 28 2008, 04:07 PM
(I'm sure Porsche enthusist will want to take me to task on the sports car portion of my statement, but hopefully my fellow E60ites will come to my defense )
I have a '08 535i and a '97 911 and can tell you that they are beyond apples and oranges. The 535i is a fantastic mix of sports car and luxury car. The 911 is fantastic (or whatever word there is that means better than fantastic) sports car...not too much of a luxury car at all...depending largely on your setup...tires, suspension, alignment, etc.

Interesting thing on this subject. When I had my '95 525i, I never considered having the 911 as "overkill' in terms of having two cars...they were completely different cars with almost nothing in common. Soon after I replaced the 525i with my new 535i, I began to think about selling the 911. I can get my "speed/performance fix" with the 535i much like I can with the 911. I guess I'm saying that the thrill I get when I drive the 535i is similar to the thrill I get when I drive the 911...so it kinda seems like overkill to have them both. Anyway...that rambling probably doesn't even make sense, but it is true so I thought I'd share it.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 Porsche Cayman S. Black on Black with Black tint. Sport (thicker) steering wheel, Heated Sport Seats, OEM Short Shifter, Clear Engine Cover. [b][u]SOLD! '08 550i 6SPD, Alpine White w/ OEM Carbon Fiber, Perforated Black leather, Anthracite Bamboo Trim[/u] full Sports Package with OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters and Diffuser, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, BMW Professional Nav, Heated/Ventilated 20 way Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Split Rear Seats, Comfort Access, iPod, PIAA Fog Lights, Xenon Match Interior Lighting, 12mm Rear Spacers, Gloss Black Model Designation, Carbon Fiber Door Pillar Covers, AngeliBrights (temporary set in place), ACS Style CF Diffuser, RDSport Quad conversion. RPI scoop (black) [u]2000 Z3 Coupe 2.8, Topaz Blue, Black Leather, Walnut Trim[/u] Koni Adjustable's w/ Racing Dynamics springs (1.75" drop), UUC LTW FW, E39 M5 Clutch, Wilwood Big Brakes, UUC Motorworks SSK, Rogue Engineering Big Boy Clutch Stop, Rogue Engineering Pulleys, EuroSport CF CAI, Sharked, Hawk HP+ Pads, Hamman Side Outlet Vents, ACS Type 3 18"s(replica) and 1000w pumping through a JL10W6[/b]

the manual rocks... I had my 550i out on the Nuerburgring this past March (booo!! to you who would argue that a 5-er can't be a track car) and I was thrilled to have a manual out on the track. That said, the clutch isn't too obtrusive when you're stuck in traffic either. I wouldn't have bought the 5 if a manual tranny wasn't an option!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by twh' post='610169' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:09 PM
I have a 2006 530xi with 6 sp manual. It is great. I didn't really consider an automatic. My wife and daughter aren't very keen on driving it, even though they know how. Even in Washington traffic, I would order the manual again.

Tom
My wife can drive manual too but rather not. The perfect setup.

Quick Reply: Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?