E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my... first, I have a 2005 530i Sport. Love it. 2nd, unwind your panties guys, do you all define yourselves by the car you drive? I said what I said, but maybe you guys took me a little too literally. Is the 5 a track car, or a sports car? No. It's a large, heavy, sports Sedan. Nothing more, nothing less. When I jokingly said "fat old man's car" I was more hinting at the comfort, options, and fact that it is a stable, enjoyable car to spend time in. Not that it sucks.

Everyone back your normal hand wringing and 5er defending...

Barry
Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Cool

So ... what you're saying now is that people who are fat and old are more comfortable, stable, and enjoyable???

I guess that's not too bad. Maybe I should gain a few pounds ...

Just kidding, man. Thanks for the clarity.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

My current 535xi has the Steptronic and I find it as sporty as I need for about 98% of the time. All my previous BMWs were manuals, but I'm pleased I went Step on this one.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by barry325' post='609393' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:06 PM
My $.02 worth, 5 series isn't a race car (unless you go M)... I have a 325 vert w/manual, and would NO WAY want a 5 anything with manual. To me, the 5 is a fat old dude car. I want to chill, drink a latte', and talk on the phone.

I run 40 miles on backroads to work every day. I warm the oil, then click the shifter to the left for sport mode, and leave it there. Love that. Wife's X3 has same trans, love it there too...

Steptronic is more than adequate for street driving. If it's not a track car, that's your answer.

YMMV,
Barry

Barry , you need to take a ride with me ! I'm sure I could change your mind about "old dudes" and 5 series cars . Get out from under that rock !!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by barry325' post='609431' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:10 PM
Oh my... first, I have a 2005 530i Sport. Love it. 2nd, unwind your panties guys, do you all define yourselves by the car you drive? I said what I said, but maybe you guys took me a little too literally. Is the 5 a track car, or a sports car? No. It's a large, heavy, sports Sedan. Nothing more, nothing less. When I jokingly said "fat old man's car" I was more hinting at the comfort, options, and fact that it is a stable, enjoyable car to spend time in. Not that it sucks.

Everyone back your normal hand wringing and 5er defending...

Barry
Troll Alert.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='609476' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:46 PM
Troll Alert.
, let's give our fellow member the benefit of the doubt as he's still a "newbie", so we don't know his personality just yet and vice versa...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='609312' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:18 PM
Have any of you out there previously driven a stick, gone to an automatic, and then back to a stick again?

Does it have to be a current E60 manual driver? if not then... ME! I started off with a Manual MINI Cooper S and got a E60 SMG then traded the MINI for a Lexus IS 350 automatic and had it for a year and a half and just did not like automatic. Very very boring. I dont care what people say that in LA traffic its plain stupid to drive a manual or its too much work etc etc etc. What I have to say is I just dont think those people know how to drive a manual correctly. If you drive a manual correctly I think there is less work, and is easier to drive a manual in traffic.

Ok back to the Manual MINI to Automatic IS 350 and to a Manual Porsche Cayman S. Much better and much happier with a manual.

It sounds like for you it doenst matter... so in that case if you found the right car go for it!

One thing to note on the E60 manuals... theres a clutch delay in there and that is not favorable. It doesnt ruin the driving experience but it takes away from the experience a little. The feeling isnt linear, towards the end there is a springy, dip feeling. That was also present in the E39 M5, E46 M3 but can be eliminated by replacing the CDV with a modified one. I dont think anyone has mentioned this yet... so I thought I'll throw it in there for you. You'll probably get use to it or dont care or what not but for me I'm picky and I felt it and its something that stuck in the back of my mind.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i 2005 - Silver/Grey - 6 Speed Manual - Black Leather - Logic 7 - Cold Pkg - Active Steering - Nav - Adaptive Headlights - 275/35/18 rear and 245/40/18 front

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='609355' date='Jun 24 2008, 03:24 PM
Thank you to everyone so far for the feedback and greetings!

Any other manual 6-speed BMW drivers out there? Love it?

Btw, my current 02 530i has the Steptronic and that's why this is such a tough choice. If I WANT to drive it 'manual-like' I can. I think it's a fantastic transmission and I have never had any of the problems other E39 auto drivers have reported. However, I noticed that GM's advice over in Europe for basically the same transmission was to replace the fluids every 60,000 miles IF you regularly drove in temperatures higher than 90 degrees (F). I think that's more of this country than some people think and because I live in Florida, that's what I did. Now 98,000 miles later is still shifts like the day I first drove it. Tight, fast, no leaks, no problems, nothing. Lifetime fluid my *&%$ ...

Anyway ... this specific car is one of those 'dream' type used cars: Personally owned, first owner, garage kept, all records, flawless appearance, BMW enthusiast, the options I desire (except that it's a manual which I wasn't looking for), and very low mileage for its year because it was not his daily driver, etc. That's what is making this so tough -- that and I do remember liking my previous manual transmission cars.

When my BMW-owning best friend helped me buy my first car [using my own well-earned funds], which 'had' to be German according to him, he approved of my VW because it was a "poor man's BMW" [said very nicely, not being a snob] and it had the prerequisite manual. "You can't buy a German car without a manual. I won't let you do that ..."

It's now over 25 years later and I can still hear his comments in my head now as I try to make this decision. I can't seem to find a manual E60 here in Orlando, even with the help of my local dealer (who provides amazing customer service). I'll keep looking as I agree that it would certainly be enlightening taking it out for a test drive.

Aaaarrrgggh ...

I LOOOVE my 6spd manual. First of all, my wife cannot drive a manual. Second, I really enjoy the growl that my 545i gives off when accelerating. I learned how to drive with a manual but have owned automatics forever. I've driven friend's manual cars over the years and always regretted not having my own. I have driven the steptronics and was almost tempted to get one until I test drove the 545i manual. Now I am enjoying every minute of driving my 545i. No regrets at all.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

I have a manual, and I love it, absolutely don't regret it. I've test driven an automatic and it was good but not the same experience at all. If you don't have a lot of stop and go traffic like you said, it is an easy choice.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Members

My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

Hey...
Screw you and your bad taste.
...Fivers rock, chump.

Photo is high up in the highest of hills, just south of Bend, Oregon - I was on my way to the Newberry Volcanic monument. Photo was taken last summer at this amazing viewpoint.
(Destination is viewpoint)

Hence the pummice ash on my wheels.
...Bit 'o off road'n I did...

Quick Reply: Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?