E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Register Battery DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Register Battery DIY?

Has anyone registered a new battery? Using a BMW INPA interface? Like this one - BMW INPA interface
Or any other device? If so, how is it done?

Thanks - H
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

use the search button. Battery doesn't need registration. Its all BS. Just make sure its the same type. Might have to reset Active Steering, but you should be good.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tbal
use the search button. Battery doesn't need registration. Its all BS. Just make sure its the same type. Might have to reset Active Steering, but you should be good.
Registering the battery is not BS - although, there has been a lot of speculation. On newer BMW's, like the e60, registering the battery is necessary. The battery will still work without registering it, but the life will be shortened.
This article explains why registering the battery is important - read below the AGM battery recap.
Registering battery

Hope this helps. Anyone reading this that knows how to register the battery - please let me know. Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thebluedog
Registering the battery is not BS - although, there has been a lot of speculation. On newer BMW's, like the e60, registering the battery is necessary. The battery will still work without registering it, but the life will be shortened.
This article explains why registering the battery is important - read below the AGM battery recap.
Registering battery

Hope this helps. Anyone reading this that knows how to register the battery - please let me know. Thanks
Right on, blue dog. unfortunately you need the diagnostic equipment to register the battery.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
Right on, blue dog. unfortunately you need the diagnostic equipment to register the battery.
I've read that you can use a BMW INPA interface.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
M A
Members

My Ride: '04 White 525i....

The interface may indeed work, but what software would you use and how would you get it?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5 Alpine White/ Indy Red 6spd

The battery registration comes from if you change the battery and get a different CCA rating or amp/hr rating. IE a slightly bigger or smaller rated battery than your OEM battery. The computer allows for the different capacities(within limits) to allow all normal electrical system operations.
If you get your OEM battery there is NO NEED for registration because it is the same current draw/operation as your original battery you changed.
If the E60 electrical system did not draw so much power you would not need to tell the car's system what type battery you had in it.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i watched a bmw tech register my battery with the GT1. the registering for one keeps a log on the car's computer of when and at what mileage the battery has been changed. it also resets the power management module. the tech also reviews the car's history of starts and trips, and past voltage....along with some other data.
if you put in a battery of a different amp/hour rating, or if you install an AGM battery, you are supposed to reprogram the power managment module, which can take several hours.

overall, i felt good about getting the battery registered, and i saved quite a bit by having this done on the side. 260 for an oem battery and registering.

if you decide not to get a battery registered, at least make sure you use a battery with the same amp/hour rating.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 AM
MAK
Members

Hi All
Have been looking around the web and came across this info on "Registering" the battery after installation.Seems to clear up some of the doubt whether or not to register.

My link

Mak
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

The theory seems to be that battery life may be shorten without battery registration.

However, take the $77 EverStart MAXX-49 battery in WalMart for example, it comes with 3 year free replacement and 9 year prorated warranty. Risk is on WalMart side, not your side. You can always get prorated money back if it doesn't last 9 years and WalMart is everywhere.

I simply can't justify the cost of battery registration to try to preserve a $77 battery life, which has excellent warranty to begin with.

Quick Reply: Register Battery DIY?