E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Register Battery DIY?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by hmc
The theory seems to be that battery life may be shorten without battery registration.

However, take the $77 EverStart MAXX-49 battery in WalMart for example, it comes with 3 year free replacement and 9 year prorated warranty. Risk is on WalMart side, not your side. You can always get prorated money back if it doesn't last 9 years and WalMart is everywhere.

I simply can't justify the cost of battery registration to try to preserve a $77 battery life, which has excellent warranty to begin with.
the walmart battery doesnt have as many amps, and is smaller in size. will need some work to get it to bolt in.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by turboawd
the walmart battery doesnt have as many amps, and is smaller in size. will need some work to get it to bolt in.
The one I mentioned has 850 CCA which matches OEM battery.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by hmc
The one I mentioned has 850 CCA which matches OEM battery.
you sure it wasnt the 94r battery at walmart? that is the only battery they sell for bmw i thought, and its rated at 730 cold cranking amps.

walmart battery is ok to replace the smaller bmw batteries.

Register Battery DIY?-bmwvswalmart94rn.jpg
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

There are many types of BMW OEM batteries. See: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=61&fg=30

My OEM's is rated 850CCA and EverStart MAXX-49 is for that direct replacement.

Anyway, my point was battery registration is not worth it at all if only downside (without registration) is POSSIBLE shorter battery life.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i All Black

Battery must be registered after replacement, especially if it differs at all from OE. I have the repair bill to prove it.

At the time I purchased my vehicle, the dealership (non-BMW) recommended replacing the battery after their inspection. I pushed them to replace as a condition of sale, which they did with what Interstate Batteries' website says "fits" a 2006 BMW 530i, BUT they did not register it.

Although it "fits", it is not exactly the same as OE. I wrestled with messages about high drain, a couple of mornings where it wouldn't start, etc. and 6 months later after not registering, I end up with a dead alternator and 2 bad ignition coils.

Spend the couple of bucks and have someone register the damn thing.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 M
Thumbs up

hi all

BMWhat supports battery registration and switching the battery type by a new in-App. tried it out yesterday, worked like a charm... and by the way, I saved a lot of money instead of going to my mechanic
Old 11-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007
Default sorry to pump the thread guys

I just replaced the battery yesterday in a good mechanic shop. He gave me the same specs battery but the brand was Ford. Everything was woring fine but then i still display the intensive battery discharge and it keeps telling me to set date and time. The mechanic did use the machine and reset the car. I been keep it running for awhile now and hope the message dont come back no more. Any ideas guys ?
Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 523i

Hi

I just did this a few hours ago and the clock has stopped resetting, my car a 06 523i, so I hope all goes well, not sure if it will have any long term effects, obviously the car can no longer monitor the battery level with IBS disconnected

it may help you, see link below
John

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i - 6 Speed

I've looked over these forums regarding new battery installation and registration fairly extensively, but I still have one question I can't seem to find the answer to;

Is it necessary to registered the new battery if you have the IBS disconnected?

I recently installed a Duralast H8-AGM into the car. The previous owner had the IBS disconnected claiming it can cause parasitic draw and has been known to cause other issues. It is my understanding the the IBS MUST BE CONNECTED when registering a new battery, which leads me to believe that if I intend to keep the IBS off the battery, registering the battery is unnecessary and frankly, wont work.

Thoughts and comments about not having the IBS connected, and the need to register a new battery if I don't have this connected??? Should I connect the IBS, register the battery, then take it back off?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

The answer is yes unless the replacement battery was an exact match spec-wise (i.e. battery type, CCA, etc. The IBS doesn't really enter into the equation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Register Battery DIY?