E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reconsidered my position on Run Flats today.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had been thinking of swapping these for standard tyres based on forum comments but following a puncture on my way to work today which failed to disrupt my day I know I am going to stick with them.

Got to work fine had time to phone around and get some prices and drove to the garage when I had some free time this afternoon to have a new one fitted (Goodyear NCT5 ?171.00 Fitted)

Did a 500 mile round trip at the weekend with my wife and 2 children in the car at motoway speeds. Just thinking that if I swapped for non run flats and then had a high speed blow out in this situation I would never forgive myself if anyone got injured.

Are the benefits of improved ride / lower noise worth the safety / convenienece compromise?

On balance I would say not.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Well put.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by andymac' post='351298' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:29 PM
Had been thinking of swapping these for standard tyres based on forum comments but following a puncture on my way to work today which failed to disrupt my day I know I am going to stick with them.

Got to work fine had time to phone around and get some prices and drove to the garage when I had some free time this afternoon to have a new one fitted (Goodyear NCT5 ?171.00 Fitted)

Did a 500 mile round trip at the weekend with my wife and 2 children in the car at motoway speeds. Just thinking that if I swapped for non run flats and then had a high speed blow out in this situation I would never forgive myself if anyone got injured.

Are the benefits of improved ride / lower noise worth the safety / convenienece compromise?

On balance I would say not.
If you factor in "probability," than it's questionable unless you have low risk tolerance. Price and comfort compared to the probability of saving someone's or your own life with RF. Hence, there's different insurance plans for different people.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

With all the crap lying around on US freeways (exhausts, tires, screws, taillights, etc.) and that no one ever picks up, I am quite comfortable having runflats. A flat tire on I-95 in the rain is not my dream - even if its unlikely to occur (although I see tons of people with flat tires on the freeway here).
Old 11-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='351395' date='Nov 2 2006, 04:54 AM
If you factor in "probability," than it's questionable unless you have low risk tolerance. Price and comfort compared to the probability of saving someone's or your own life with RF. Hence, there's different insurance plans for different people.
Hence the invention of "run flats".

It's all a matter of opinion based on risk assessment...

... or ignorance.

ABC
Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Don't know. After 20-odd years of driving, I can't think of a single case where a runflat would have really saved my day. And I've had my fair share of tyre punctures. Agree that it provides "mind comfort" - if not bum comfort, but I guess my decision at replacement is going to be dictated primarily by price. If it's of the order of ?15-20/tyre, OK, if more, then off they go. I have the spare wheel anyway.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='351510' date='Nov 2 2006, 03:26 PM
Don't know. After 20-odd years of driving, I can't think of a single case where a runflat would have really saved my day.
So that's not risk assessment?

BTW the chance (risk) of a puncture or blow out doesn't change with what's happened in the past.

ABC
Old 11-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='351518' date='Nov 2 2006, 03:48 PM
So that's not risk assessment?

BTW the chance (risk) of a puncture or blow out doesn't change with what's happened in the past.

ABC
Nono. Sorry, we cross-posted. I'm a relatively slow typist, and I was commenting on the general/original question, rather than answering your specific post - which in fact I saw after I posted mine.

I agree that saying "I had a puncture yesterday, therefore I'm safe today" is not a good evaluation of risk probabilities. But over many years and many miles, I think one can form a reasonable assessment of what one's chances of getting a life-threatening blowout or a puncture are over as many years/miles. i.e. low!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='351527' date='Nov 2 2006, 10:07 AM
Nono. Sorry, we cross-posted. I'm a relatively slow typist, and I was commenting on the general/original question, rather than answering your specific post - which in fact I saw after I posted mine.

I agree that saying "I had a puncture yesterday, therefore I'm safe today" is not a good evaluation of risk probabilities. But over many years and many miles, I think one can form a reasonable assessment of what one's chances of getting a life-threatening blowout or a puncture are over as many years/miles. i.e. low!
Insurance companies are experts on risk assessments. Hence, when I buy insurance, in this case, RF, I factor in replacement cost and the probability of it "saving a life" based on my past history/experience. I consider the breaking point of RFs, my driving and tire maintenance habits, and among other general analysis.

I find that RF is a keeper as long as the dealers continue to replace them for free (because of road noise). When their life is up, I will use regular "radial" tires.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='351536' date='Nov 2 2006, 04:32 PM
Insurance companies are experts on risk assessments. Hence, when I buy insurance, in this case, RF, I factor in replacement cost and the probability of it "saving a life" based on my past history/experience. I consider the breaking point of RFs, my driving and tire maintenance habits, and among other general analysis.

I find that RF is a keeper as long as the dealers continue to replace them for free (because of road noise). When their life is up, I will use regular "radial" tires.
Unfortunately free replacement is only true in the US. Several people have tried in the UK - even showing US SIB bulletins - all to no avail.

I am not sure I understand your first point.

Quick Reply: Reconsidered my position on Run Flats today.......