E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Recode a used M-ASK or CCC to a BMW E60/61

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi All

My BMW dealer tells me that thy cant recode a used M-ASK or CCC in my car ( BMW E60/525IA-12/2003 ) can that be true ? , they says its becurse that they cant "reset" the used one , and then "recode" it in my car , cant that be true ? , or are my BMW dealer just not fully "educated" to do this kind of job.

Will be greatful for any help/information on this topic.

With kind Regards
Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='499459' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:02 AM
Hi All

My BMW dealer tells me that thy cant recode a used M-ASK or CCC in my car ( BMW E60/525IA-12/2003 ) can that be true ? , they says its becurse that they cant "reset" the used one , and then "recode" it in my car , cant that be true ? , or are my BMW dealer just not fully "educated" to do this kind of job.

Will be greatful for any help/information on this topic.

With kind Regards
It is possible to recode a m-ask or a CCC without a problem. I have heard about it being done many times. Sounds like your dealer just wants to sell you a new part and make more money.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWSTROKE' post='499478' date='Nov 27 2007, 02:05 PM
It is possible to recode a m-ask or a CCC without a problem. I have heard about it being done many times. Sounds like your dealer just wants to sell you a new part and make more money.
Hi

Thanks , can you tell me , is this done by BMW , and du you know how they do it ? , I have a realy good relationsship to my dealer and they have treyd many things with there DIS computer ( coding-programing-change ), but every time it come up with the result " change : M-ASK/CCC/CID "

It is a registred BMW Dealership , so they have all the nessery hardware/software.

So if anyone can give a " step by step " instruction , it wood by nice :-) , so I can tell them howe to do it , and I can get my M-ASK up and running again :-)

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Members

Hi, here in the U.S. the BMW dealers are using whats called the PROGMAN to program all control modules. You said they tried it with the DIS machine. Do You know if in Denmark they have PROGMAN in the dealership?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWSTROKE' post='499492' date='Nov 27 2007, 03:32 PM
Hi, here in the U.S. the BMW dealers are using whats called the PROGMAN to program all control modules. You said they tried it with the DIS machine. Do You know if in Denmark they have PROGMAN in the dealership?
Hi BMWSTROKE

Yes my mecanich ( persenal freind ) at the BMW dealership/garage are also using PROGMAN , but he can not get to work :-(

So if you in anyway can explane how to do it I an He wood be very greatfull.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know for sure about the M-ASK and CCC modules but there is such a thing as coding a module (or "marrying" a module) to a car. This process is sometimes irreversible (no way to "divorce" the two.) In other words, once a module is coded to a specific car, it can only be updated (or recoded) to that particular car so it's still possible that dealer is correct.

Remember that I'm not talking about updating the car's progman/CIP, I'm talking about taking modules from other cars (used modules) and trying to get them to work with a different car...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Members

I think that Rudy is referring to modules in which the VIN# is encoded. These modules maybe more difficult to change. It may require more knowledge than normal mechanic has. M-ASK, CCC or CID are not in this category of modules, because these modules don?t have VIN# encoded. At least this is what I?m told.

I?m not sure if you (BenAnd) are retrofitting CCC to replace M-ASK or just changing to another M-ASK unit ? If you are retrofitting CCC to replace M-ASK you must follow the retrofit path on SSS (Progman) computer. Retrofit path modifies the ?vehicle order? which contains information of all installed gadgets in your car. Vehicle order is used to determine which modules the car has and must/should be updated by Progman. If your vehicle order contains information about M-ASK unit then SSS (progman) will try to update and search this module.. and vice versa. That?s why the vehicle order must be same as the car setup. After the vehicle order is modified to fit the current state of your car, you can do complete encoding to modules (based on vehicle order).

If you are just changing M-ASK to M-ASK (maybe because of defective unit) your vehicle order should be ok. You just need to recode the ?new? unit. At least for CCC there is a special measure in SSS that deals with this situation (for some reason you must change the old unit and recode the new one).

Vehicle order can be changed with available retrofit paths on SSS computer or it can be ordered from BMW with required modifications (some feature added/removed) if SSS for some reason is unable to do that. If I remember correctly dealer can do so called PuMA case, and ask BMW to send new vehicle order for your car, with the required modifications.

I have been told that CCC units can be restored to factory state by using ?CCC Program disc?, and this should work for used units as well. Note that BMW is using refurbished CCC units to solve some customer situations, and these all have been in different car previously.

Progman may refuse to update/code used parts because these modules have older software or part number is different. And many times there is no logical reason why Progman fails to do some task. I think your dealer should contact BMW for more advice.

I have currently similar situation (trying to retrofit nav pro) but no luck so far. I will try this again when more qualified mechanic returns from his holiday.

If I remember correctly nicke60gre has done nav pro retrofit (changed M-ASK with CCC) with mostly used parts, but he has been very careful on choosing the right parts.

This is what I have heard, but BMW knows best. I Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='499577' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:46 PM
I think that Rudy is referring to modules in which the VIN# is encoded. These modules maybe more difficult to change. It may require more knowledge than normal mechanic has. M-ASK, CCC or CID are not in this category of modules, because these modules don?t have VIN# encoded. At least this is what I?m told.

I?m not sure if you (BenAnd) are retrofitting CCC to replace M-ASK or just changing to another M-ASK unit ? If you are retrofitting CCC to replace M-ASK you must follow the retrofit path on SSS (Progman) computer. Retrofit path modifies the ?vehicle order? which contains information of all installed gadgets in your car. Vehicle order is used to determine which modules the car has and must/should be updated by Progman. If your vehicle order contains information about M-ASK unit then SSS (progman) will try to update and search this module.. and vice versa. That?s why the vehicle order must be same as the car setup. After the vehicle order is modified to fit the current state of your car, you can do complete encoding to modules (based on vehicle order).

If you are just changing M-ASK to M-ASK (maybe because of defective unit) your vehicle order should be ok. You just need to recode the ?new? unit. At least for CCC there is a special measure in SSS that deals with this situation (for some reason you must change the old unit and recode the new one).

Vehicle order can be changed with available retrofit paths on SSS computer or it can be ordered from BMW with required modifications (some feature added/removed) if SSS for some reason is unable to do that. If I remember correctly dealer can do so called PuMA case, and ask BMW to send new vehicle order for your car, with the required modifications.

I have been told that CCC units can be restored to factory state by using ?CCC Program disc?, and this should work for used units as well. Note that BMW is using refurbished CCC units to solve some customer situations, and these all have been in different car previously.

Progman may refuse to update/code used parts because these modules have older software or part number is different. And many times there is no logical reason why Progman fails to do some task. I think your dealer should contact BMW for more advice.

I have currently similar situation (trying to retrofit nav pro) but no luck so far. I will try this again when more qualified mechanic returns from his holiday.

If I remember correctly nicke60gre has done nav pro retrofit (changed M-ASK with CCC) with mostly used parts, but he has been very careful on choosing the right parts.

Hi hillokone

Thanks for a wery specifik answer :-) , but I have to ask you what do you mean with "SSS" , is that the same as the "SA" codes that tells what options the car came with - a computerprogram ,or a men? in the PROGMAN softweare durring "coding/opgrading" the new ( used unit ) M-ASK ?.

My problem is that I have chrasd my org. Nav. Business unit M-ASK , and , now I hoped to retrofit with a used one instead ( a new M-ASK cost apr. 3000.-US Dollars in Denmark :-( ) .

There is a lot for sale at E-bay , but what does it help if they cant be coded to another car ( BMW E60/61 )

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Members

Hello BenAnd,

SSS means "Software Service Station". It is a PC which hosts the BMW Progman update software.

I can't say for sure which steps to take when replacing M-ASK with M-ASK, sorry. But I have seen that there is a service measure in SSS that you can use to replace CCC with another CCC. I believe that similar function exists also for M-ASK.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='499577' date='Nov 27 2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks for chiming in -- I was wondering if/when nicke60gre was going to add his opinions...I'm pretty sure he knows a bunch about this stuff...

Quick Reply: Recode a used M-ASK or CCC to a BMW E60/61