E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 10 2004, 11:51 PM
[quote name='JDN' date='Dec 10 2004, 07:05 PM']Mine was more than a bug, this time. The first was a simple software update. This time, one month later, the whole shebang shut down. I couldn't even change back to the right time zone. kcs, if it continues to be a problem, I will definitely go for the lemon law and see if there isn't a BMW option somewhere that could give me all of the thrill of my 545 wo as much computer based operation. OTOH, am I really willing to give up NAV Lady, HUD, etc.? HUD still worked but all I had was speed and cruise info.
[snapback]67659[/snapback]
Hey JDN, Sorry to hear your baby's back at the shop.

Maybe the impact that caused your wheel breakage f'd something up?

I didn't realize that you had HUD. If only they could put the beer girl (from your post in the lounge) on the HUD. Now that would be cool!

In any event, when I was negotiating my lease, my dealer dude asked me how many miles was I looking for. I quickly replied "When is the warranty up?"
With my father having two 750iL's over the past 10 years, I've learned.
Once out of warranty, when anything breaks on these, you are looking at a $2,500 bill for each problem... no matter what it is . And that was before iDrive, NAV, etc.

All I can say is that at 50,001 miles I'll be in a new ride. Hopefully a new M5.

[snapback]67733[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wholeheartly agree that once warranty expired, you're talking about >$1000 every quarter to bring the car in for dealer service. BMW should extend the warranty to 7 years/70K miles for cars with i-Drive or they might lose in the long run. Be careful BMW. I wish BMW were bought by Toyota At that time, we'll have a great ride and all existing gremlins will be gone.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

It's not just iDrive. There are a lot of things that can/will go wrong with this, or any car (even Toyota). It's just that the more complex the cars become, the more dificult they are to fix. Not to mention that most mechanics (car repair guys) don't have PhD's in computer technology or are electrical engineers. Therefore, the end result is that if there is something "wrong" the only option is to swap out the module (whatever it is) and hopefully it will work. Problem for those out of warranty is that "modules" 'aint cheap.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

I received a recall notice in the mail today. It's dated December 2004 and it is Campaign Number 04E-A04. It is to "reprogram DME for oxygen sensor diagnostic on N62 (4.4 liter) engines". It's for both the 545 and the 645.

From reading the document, it appears to be a software mod only. Further, I think it may only relate to cars in California, New York and New England where the emission standards are different than all the other states. I'm not sure on that though.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Dec 11 2004, 02:36 PM
I received a recall notice in the mail today.? It's dated December 2004 and it is Campaign Number 04E-A04.? It is to "reprogram DME for oxygen sensor diagnostic on N62 (4.4 liter) engines".? It's for both the 545 and the 645.

From reading the document, it appears to be a software mod only.? Further, I think it may only relate to cars in California, New York and New England where the emission standards are different than all the other states.? I'm not sure on that though.
[snapback]67937[/snapback]
Yes, I had it done this week, and I'm in San Diego. Enabled BT on my 4/04 545. Charged $100 only for the BT. Now the damn radio always comes on when I start the car, I've had "active steering failure" warnings, the gas cap warning comes about 50% of the time I drive. I'm getting very fed up with this. I spent 30 years in the software industry, and I'd have been fired if I let software out with this poor level of QA.

Chris
Old 12-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Dec 11 2004, 01:36 PM
I received a recall notice in the mail today.? It's dated December 2004 and it is Campaign Number 04E-A04.? It is to "reprogram DME for oxygen sensor diagnostic on N62 (4.4 liter) engines".? It's for both the 545 and the 645.

From reading the document, it appears to be a software mod only.? Further, I think it may only relate to cars in California, New York and New England where the emission standards are different than all the other states.? I'm not sure on that though.
[snapback]67937[/snapback]
I had my car in for service on 11/30 and they did the DME oxygen sensor recall work. I haven't received the recall notice yet. No other problems after picking it up, of course, there weren't any when I took it in, (I know that doesn't mean anything). 1.75 hours of labor @ $110 per hour. Better start saving now for out of warranty repairs in 3 more years!