E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, not all of us need to agree to everything! I never been keen on not having steering, i prefered too much instead of too little. I've drove my father's e39 to snow and yes it was abit tail nervous. But my last two fwd cars i also drove on snow where as "nervous" as the e39, just in a different way.

I'm abit surprised to hear you guys having no problem in the snow and hard to loose traction, it wasn't difficult when i was driving my golf, or even the crv!(and i was not the only one of course on the road having ... difficulties).
Either way i knew what the reaction and most opinions would have been regarding this, i just cannot control myself when i hear fwd and safe on the same sentence. The rebel in me just sees it as industry- propaganda!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='898285' date='Jun 2 2009, 03:28 PM
No doubt about it. I've had FWD cars that I TRIED to get loose in snow and couldn't do it (well, at least not without great effort). I feel much better knowing my wife drives a FWD.
I understand, that's why my wife has AWD!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

I can attest that I have more confidence driving a FWD in snow
vs. RWD, espcially uphill.

We've had several guests (driving RWD) at my in-laws' cabin
(up in the mountains), that couldn't make it up the driveway
due to the steepness and snow on the driveway. 9 times out
of 10, they end up parking their car on the side of the road.
They wake up the next morning to find their car covered in
more snow from the snow-plow

My wife had an AWD 6.0L Escalade that we used to drive up
there, and now an Audi Avant Quattro.

Again, this is just based on my experience...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spiros' post='898308' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:40 PM
Well, not all of us need to agree to everything! I never been keen on not having steering, i prefered too much instead of too little. I've drove my father's e39 to snow and yes it was abit tail nervous. But my last two fwd cars i also drove on snow where as "nervous" as the e39, just in a different way.

I'm abit surprised to hear you guys having no problem in the snow and hard to loose traction, it wasn't difficult when i was driving my golf, or even the crv!(and i was not the only one of course on the road having ... difficulties).
Either way i knew what the reaction and most opinions would have been regarding this, i just cannot control myself when i hear fwd and safe on the same sentence. The rebel in me just sees it as industry- propaganda!
i think you are hearing "FWD is safer then RWD" not FWD is safe. it is the safer of the two options. safe is up to the driver and his/her experience really.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Contributors

http://searchwarp.com/swa51377.htm
Just in case somebody wants to read another opinion on the matter

I don't think the FWD in practice is "easy" to correct. In theory yes, it's just letting off the gas but in practice most people overturn the steering then just hit the brakes.

And yes, if i want to be fair rwd has a disadvantage on uphill snowy roads.

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='898324' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:46 PM
safe is up to the driver and his/her experience really.
Cannot argue on that one really... you should see how my misus drives the avensis, i'm soiling myself every time i'm the passenger ...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='898275' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:20 PM
Have you ever taken the time to look at the length of the hood on a Z4, S2000 or MR2 relative to the size of the car? And have you ever tried to get four people plus luggage in a Z4 or an S2000?

As for your other comments. I disagree with you, and the industry disagrees with you. Show me a snowy day or a rainy day and for most drivers, most of the time, they will probably do better in an FWD car than an RWD car. With or without snow tires.

More to the point, manufacturers typically and deliberately set up their performance RWD cars to initially understeer when pushed. BMW does it, Porsche does it. Because for most drivers, most of the time, it's safer and relatively easy to correct. With the FWD cars that particular feature comes as standard...

I dont know if either of you could really put the MR-2 in the same category as the Z4 or S2000, if i am not mistaken that was a rear engine mount/ rear drive car, at least the first generation was, so there was no driveline.

In any case I would agree with james, car manufacutrues prefer FWD cars becuase they are safer for the average driver, the are cheaper to manufacture, and usuaully get better fuel economy.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by juventus' post='898197' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:18 AM
Why don't other car manufacurers make rear wheel drive cars since they are supposed to be more fun (apart from MB, ferrari and a handful of others)? I mean, Honda, Toyota, etc., copy BMW shapes, then why not driving dynamics.

BTW, my wife has an MB c300 and its no fun!!

M-B, Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Maybach etc are all rear wheel drive cars.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='899535' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:36 PM
M-B, Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Maybach etc are all rear wheel drive cars.
But then you have to add;

Ford Crown Vantage
Lincoln Town Car
Grand Marquis

I think they are all basically the same car and they have rear wheel drive, soft suspension and 4 speed autmatic gearboxes...

Looking at the rental firms offerings, I may well be wallowing round the north east USA in one of these next month!