E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Sensors and Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2004 525i, NAV, Winter Pkg., Tiptronic, Amethyst Gray

I would like to add back-up/parking sensors to my Feb 2004 525i and I have seen the BMW add-on which is incorporated in the license plate holder. I also know of a very reputable shop that can install parking sensors at a good price and with quality work. It looks like the BMW License plate integrated unit would be fairly limited as it really would not sense something that was only close to one back corner whereas an aftermarket version with several sensors across the back bumper would have more sensitivity at the back corners.

Has anyone installed back-up/parking sensors and have any advice? Does the BMW brand integrate with the car's sound system or TCU?

Also when I reported to the SA that my brakes squealed/rubbing sound when applied he said that it will happen even with new brakes. Is this true? I am no mechanic, but I would think a quality and precision built sports car would not have squeaky brakes. Is the SA right? Is there a way to avoid squeaky brakes?

I live in NJ/USA and my car (525i tiptronic, NAV, Winter Pkg) was manufactured in February 2004. I have an extended warranty until 2010. The dealer I have been going to is Desimone BMW of Mt.Laurel, NJ.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gshipman' post='678243' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:15 PM
I would like to add back-up/parking sensors to my Feb 2004 525i and I have seen the BMW add-on which is incorporated in the license plate holder. I also know of a very reputable shop that can install parking sensors at a good price and with quality work. It looks like the BMW License plate integrated unit would be fairly limited as it really would not sense something that was only close to one back corner whereas an aftermarket version with several sensors across the back bumper would have more sensitivity at the back corners.
Has anyone installed back-up/parking sensors and have any advice? Does the BMW brand integrate with the car's sound system or TCU?
Also when I reported to the SA that my brakes squealed/rubbing sound when applied he said that it will happen even with new brakes. Is this true? I am no mechanic, but I would think a quality and precision built sports car would not have squeaky brakes. Is the SA right? Is there a way to avoid squeaky brakes?
I live in NJ/USA and my car (525i tiptronic, NAV, Winter Pkg) was manufactured in February 2004. I have an extended warranty until 2010. The dealer I have been going to is Desimone BMW of Mt.Laurel, NJ.
I can't help you with the Parking Sensor question but the squealing brakes is easier.

Brake noise, with BMW pads, can usually be reduced/eliminated by having the caliper and mounting hardware, clips cleaned and properly lubricated with special disc brake lube. The noise is actually high frequency vibration between pad, caliper, and brake disc. There are several spray products that can be used on the brake pad back to help reduce or dampen the vibration. Some "High Performance" aftermarket pads are noisy until they are warmed up. Maybe the original owner replaced the original BMW pads to eliminate brake dust. I've never had original BMW brake pads that were noisy - new or worn down right to the sensors ... but boy do they crank out the brake dust!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

As far as the brakes are concerned - there is a period during which you may hear some squealing but this is very limited. I had similar issues with the rear pads and the wear sensors on my 545i. Finally had the stealer look at it and they found issues with the "geometry of the sensors" and the pad was out of whack. They fixed it as a show of good faith for me - car is on CPO so technically this is not included. I drove it off the lot without a sound or squeal with the new pads on. Goes to show you - get the job done right and there are no sounds at all..
Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi gshipman,

I'm a OEM guy so be aware but I recommend new OEM bumpers for PDC and the OEM -system.
At this point you might want to consider getting a whole M Sport set (bumpers and side skirts)
+ 19" wheels.

The brake pads and the brake sensors should also be OEM. You get a guarantee for them and the
change + they are for sure designed for your car.

Do your brake service and brake fluid changes when the iDrive reminds of them.

These are not the cheapest way to do it, but the best ones.