E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear right lower than the left side

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When purchased my 2005 525i with 285 30 zr20 in the rear, my problem is that the rear right tire rubs against the fender when I put alot of weight or when I hit a bump on the road, I'm not sure what to do or how to approach this problem, I want to know if the problem is the spring or may I need to have it align, don't know if that's even posible, another problem is that the tire on that side is wearing out (from the inside) alot quicket than the one on the the other side I know it has something to do with negative camber but why aren't they wearing out evenly, can someone tell me what do you think I should do first before taking it to the dealer, I'm pretty good a doing alot of repairs myself like I couple of months ago I replaced the Starter so I'm confident that I might be able to fix it once I know what the problem is.

Thanks!

Carlos
Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Sounds like the shocks are sagging. How many miles on the shocks?
The wheel offsets may be too aggressive with that tire size. What are the offsets and wheel width?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by jgt
Sounds like the shocks are sagging. How many miles on the shocks?
The wheel offsets may be too aggressive with that tire size. What are the offsets and wheel width?
I have no idea, I bought the car as is, do I have to remove the tire to find the width? and how do I find the offsets?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Do you know what type of wheel it is?

+1 jgt.. I have an aggressive offset of 20 and they rub in the rear and occasionally in the front.

You will notice more rubbing on the right due to more weight (battery etc) on that side. Best bet would be to move to 275 in the rear. It is what I will be doing

Originally Posted by c_osorio
I have no idea, I bought the car as is, do I have to remove the tire to find the width? and how do I find the offsets?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rrnag30
Do you know what type of wheel it is?

+1 jgt.. I have an aggressive offset of 20 and they rub in the rear and occasionally in the front.

You will notice more rubbing on the right due to more weight (battery etc) on that side. Best bet would be to move to 275 in the rear. It is what I will be doing
I don't know much about the customization on the car, I'll see if I can find out what wheels they are, I'm not even sure if springs were replaced with lower ones, I'm assuming they are, I'll upload a picture of the wheel soon.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar situation with my 06 530i with sport suspension, except in the front. The right front rides about 1/2" lower than the left front. I'm running 245/40/19's for a little rim protection for my 166 style M5 rims and get a little rub if I hit a deep dip in the road. The car has 99,000 miles on it. I've put a couple of 1" spring rubbers on each side in the front which has helped somewhat, but i'm still nervous when I see a dip coming(you can see a dark spot in the road where it causes oil/debris to fall from people's cars). I'm wondering if the springs might have lost just a little height over their 100,000 mile life. I don't believe the shock would have any affect on ride height. Even without a shock it should still sit at the same height, it would just bounce more.

Do springs lose height over time/with wear?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
I have a similar situation with my 06 530i with sport suspension, except in the front. The right front rides about 1/2" lower than the left front. I'm running 245/40/19's for a little rim protection for my 166 style M5 rims and get a little rub if I hit a deep dip in the road. The car has 99,000 miles on it. I've put a couple of 1" spring rubbers on each side in the front which has helped somewhat, but i'm still nervous when I see a dip coming(you can see a dark spot in the road where it causes oil/debris to fall from people's cars). I'm wondering if the springs might have lost just a little height over their 100,000 mile life. I don't believe the shock would have any affect on ride height. Even without a shock it should still sit at the same height, it would just bounce more.

Do springs lose height over time/with wear?
The front passenger side is slightly lower out of the factory. I believe its to compensate for driver weight. There are a few threads on the forum about this.
Weak shocks do have an effect on ride height. If the shock is worn it won't rebound/extend completely causing the spring to take on more of the load which will lower the ride height a bit.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530 Titanium Silver Sport/Premium PKG OEM Mtech Kit

Same issue here. Im lowered on h&r sport spring with 20x8.5/10 iforged and my f/r is lowered by 1/2 inch. Irritates me sometimes. Front started to rub so bad it pulled the fender. Waiting coilovers to fix it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svtla
Same issue here. Im lowered on h&r sport spring with 20x8.5/10 iforged and my f/r is lowered by 1/2 inch. Irritates me sometimes. Front started to rub so bad it pulled the fender. Waiting coilovers to fix it.
I was thinking about some coilovers too, but I was worried that they would lower the car even more, and I don't have any room to spare. Does anyone know if most coilovers are lower than the factory Sport suspension? I've been checking out the KW Street Comforts. I'm really looking for a better ride rather than improved handling. It already sticks like nothing i've ever driven before. Maybe I should just replace the front springs and shocks with stock parts. Does anyone know if their is a better shock combo than stock that has the same handling with an even better ride? I hear good things about the Bilsteins, but are they better than OEM?

Thanks in advance for any info from all you great contributors. I've learned so much from this forum in the few months that i've had my baby!

PS and totally off subject. My new RPI Exhaust rocks!!