E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Fog lights? (first post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='216087' date='Dec 27 2005, 05:07 PM
I think US E60 cars use the rear fog light bulb as a part of the adaptive brake lights.

My biggest complaint about any US car with rear fog lights is with regard to our clueless driving public. Having to follow someone that has the rear fogs on for no reason (when it's not foggy) is actually worse than being blinded by someone's headlights (or other forward-facing lights ) since you're subjected to these things constantly.

I would be great to have rear fogs on our cars but they'd have to make the switch something that's hard to activate and they'd have to have some annoying warning light come on the dash the entire time they're on so the average US driver doesn't drive around with them on because the "look cool."

(Okay, maybe this is my "foglights"...)

Audi drivers seem to turn them on more than other makes. I see some M-B people with them on from time-to-time but clearly Audi wins the award for most annoying clueless owners

Coming from the Audi line, it's just because it is too easy for the Audi's. When you pull the headlight knob out, it makes a yellow light for your rear fog, and people just think it's for their driving lights. The US is too retarded to handle rear fogs. I personally converted my single rear fog to dual reag fogs on my Audi just so I could mess with tailgaters
Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='217256' date='Dec 30 2005, 12:31 PM
You should find the rear foglights on all European manufacured cars.
Yes, but for some reason BMW (BMWNA?) isn't including them in US spec vehicles.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='216344' date='Dec 29 2005, 12:59 AM
I've seen them on the A6 sedan like the picture you posted above but I recall only seeing the one on the left being on, not both.
You are right although they have seem to have two lights on the rear, only one of them lights up. Is just the design because the car would look weird with only one red reflector on the back.

US don't have rear fogs because most of the people are not aware that such thing existed and so the tendency for them to put it on at the wrong time increase.

You will never be able to accidentally leave on your front or rear fog on the E60 because once you switch off your car the fogs shuts off too and you have to press the button again to turn it on.

Although I have it, I have never used it because of the weather condition, I have only used it when the guy behind me leave their high beams on or tailgating me so hard that I need to let them know.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well guess what happened to me tonight? I was behind a brand new A6 and guess what? He had on his annoying rear fog lights and yes, there are now two of them! I think they were LED and man, were they bright! I let him get way ahead of me and he was like a beacon shining in the distance for all to see (and swear at...)

Sheesh...when will these people get a clue?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:41 AM
caf
Members

I used to think there were a whole lot of Mercedes rear taillights burning out, because so many M-B drivers had a brightly lit left rear taillight, and a dimmer right one. I finally realized that it was actually the left rear foglight being left on by the driver, and of course never in fog.

I think the one sided fog lamp is best, to distinguish it from regular taillamps. I know Porsches (and probably M-B's) have both right and left fog lamp sockets; the left one is used in Germany and the U.S., the right one is used in the U.K. and other "wrong side of the road" countries.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='219327' date='Jan 4 2006, 07:31 PM
Well guess what happened to me tonight? I was behind a brand new A6 and guess what? He had on his annoying rear fog lights and yes, there are now two of them! I think they were LED and man, were they bright! I let him get way ahead of me and he was like a beacon shining in the distance for all to see (and swear at...)

Sheesh...when will these people get a clue?
Agree with you Rudy, most of the time it is an Audi that I am behind with the rear fog light on.

I would like to have them, as have driven in very snowy and foggy conditions that would be very helpful, but agree that most would probably have them on all the time here in the US, hence the benefit not worth it.

Also agree, we should have more stringent requirements to get a driver's license.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Wow ! I am staggered the US doesn't have fog lights. Had them here since the 70's.

Did 500 miles in the fog a month or so back. Would have been impossible or dead without them.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

US e60 has front fog lights, but not the rear fog lights.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='217465
You should find the rear foglights on all European manufacured cars.
Yes, but for some reason BMW (BMWNA?) isn't including them in US spec vehicles.
[/quote]

Perhaps because 1 (or 2) less foglights x XX USD per light x XXXXXXXX cars = savings per car for BMWNA!