E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Fog lights? (first post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post but long time BMW owner. I used to visit the 'other' `bimmer' Forum years ago before they were sold off and I'm glad to see some alternatives.

So my question is...

Are rear fog lights available as an option or is it an easy mod to get in US Spec vehciles? I tried to get them on my E39 but I was told by BMWNA that they won't do special requests in the early production runs for the year (this was fall 1999 for the 00MY). Getting them retrofitted was a chore. Is it easier to do with the 2006's? I'm thinking about finally trading the E39 540i/6 for an E60 530i but would really like the safety the rear fog lights offer. And if it's available as a non-standard option what's the option code?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='216008' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:47 PM
First post but long time BMW owner. I used to visit the 'other' `bimmer' Forum years ago before they were sold off and I'm glad to see some alternatives.

So my question is...

Are rear fog lights available as an option or is it an easy mod to get in US Spec vehciles? I tried to get them on my E39 but I was told by BMWNA that they won't do special requests in the early production runs for the year (this was fall 1999 for the 00MY). Getting them retrofitted was a chore. Is it easier to do with the 2006's? I'm thinking about finally trading the E39 540i/6 for an E60 530i but would really like the safety the rear fog lights offer. And if it's available as a non-standard option what's the option code?
Welcome. I am unaware of any access to a rear fog lights for a 530i. Also, I have never seen this issue discussed here. Maybe someone else will have info for you. And, wouldn't they be illegal in the US anyway?--not that you would necessarily would care.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='216058' date='Dec 27 2005, 06:07 PM
Welcome. I am unaware of any access to a rear fog lights for a 530i. Also, I have never seen this issue discussed here. Maybe someone else will have info for you. And, wouldn't they be illegal in the US anyway?--not that you would necessarily would care.
They're legal in the US. My NAS Land Rover (built when BMW owned them) had them standard as do Audi's, MB's, Volvo's and I think even the Mini. The E39's had a different wire harness but could be fitted with a new switch and running a wire from the tail lamp to the front (over simplified description) and putting in the bulb into the empty slot in the tail lamp. My hope with the E60 is that, at worst it's using the same wire harness that's used in the EU so that it might be as simple as putting in a new switch and insert the light bulb. That is IF I can't just order it from the factory with the rear fogs.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='216065
They're legal in the US. My NAS Land Rover (built when BMW owned them) had them standard as do Audi's, MB's, Volvo's and I think even the Mini.
[/quote]

Yes--that's my experience as well.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think US E60 cars use the rear fog light bulb as a part of the adaptive brake lights.

My biggest complaint about any US car with rear fog lights is with regard to our clueless driving public. Having to follow someone that has the rear fogs on for no reason (when it's not foggy) is actually worse than being blinded by someone's headlights (or other forward-facing lights ) since you're subjected to these things constantly.

I would be great to have rear fogs on our cars but they'd have to make the switch something that's hard to activate and they'd have to have some annoying warning light come on the dash the entire time they're on so the average US driver doesn't drive around with them on because the "look cool."

(Okay, maybe this is my "foglights"...)

Audi drivers seem to turn them on more than other makes. I see some M-B people with them on from time-to-time but clearly Audi wins the award for most annoying clueless owners
Old 12-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='216087' date='Dec 27 2005, 07:07 PM
I think US E60 cars use the rear fog light bulb as a part of the adaptive brake lights.

My biggest complaint about any US car with rear fog lights is with regard to our clueless driving public. Having to follow someone that has the rear fogs on for no reason (when it's not foggy) is actually worse than being blinded by someone's headlights (or other forward-facing lights ) since you're subjected to these things constantly.

I would be great to have rear fogs on our cars but they'd have to make the switch something that's hard to activate and they'd have to have some annoying warning light come on the dash the entire time they're on so the average US driver doesn't drive around with them on because the "look cool."

(Okay, maybe this is my "foglights"...)

Audi drivers seem to turn them on more than other makes. I see some M-B people with them on from time-to-time but clearly Audi wins the award for most annoying clueless owners

Mercedes rear foglights look like crap because only one side has the bulb
Old 12-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='216120' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:12 PM
Mercedes rear foglights look like crap because only one side has the bulb
That's true of most, other than my Land Rover (dual) and I think the Mini (bottom center like some peugeot's). But the issue isn't `looks' as much as safety. It's amazing how much it helps people see you in the rain, snow, and heavy fog. I really wish it was a DOT requirement in the US.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The single rear fog light is by design -- it helps to distinguish it from the regular tail lights or brake lights. M-B is doing it right, Audi, Jaguar, and others are not executing things safely as they should be...

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='216129' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:31 PM
I really wish it was a DOT requirement in the US.
But only if the requirements to get a driver's license were a little more stringent...
Old 12-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Rear fog lights? I never knew such a thing existed....what does a rear fog light look like?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='216140
I really wish it was a DOT requirement in the US.
But only if the requirements to get a driver's license were a little more stringent...
[/quote]

I remembered Audis only having one rear foglight, not two. I've seen a couple of A6s with them. My friend's Porsche also only has one.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='216149' date='Dec 27 2005, 08:09 PM
Rear fog lights? I never knew such a thing existed....what does a rear fog light look like?
Rear foglights are actually nothing like the front yellow/whitish foglights. They are red. They are usually on one side and glows brighter than the tail lights. Sometimes they're located in the same light cluster as the tail/brake lights but they also be in a separate location. I believe in the older A6, it's a separate light between the license plate and the tail lights.

At a glance, it would look as if someone has one of their brake lights on.

Quick Reply: Rear Fog lights? (first post)