E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you use rear fog light for warning cars in traffic jam or while sudden braking?
Yes
18.64%
No
81.36%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Rear Fog Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Guest_gomac_*' date='Nov 23 2004, 01:28 PM
A funny point some US cars you must have your headlights on to turn on your foglights. I tired on a Firbird we once owned to turn off the headlights and just use the fog lights. All that was left on were the parking lights
[snapback]59778[/snapback]
When it's foggy and you need foglights the headlights would create a massive white wall in front of your cra. That's why they have to be turned off.
Crazy... But that again shows the cultural difference! In the US it seems to be "normal" to use them for design reasons, what, in every European mind, is dangerous.
Anyways... I indeed find it funny that some car manufacturers don't even know the exact use of foglights - espacially in the USA, "Land of the Lawyers"...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Don't have one.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 22 2004, 10:01 PM
I did that in the past, used it as a BFD. But since the E60 has BFD I am not doing it anymore!
I use the hazards instead, when I approach traffic jam on the highway...
[snapback]59458[/snapback]

Same here, I think that's common around here...
Old 11-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Members

Smile

Now how to delete this " reply" ka ka ka ?? I don't know ??

This is Mistake
Old 11-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Members

Smile

I know it is annoying other drivers .. but every country have different driving behavior ...ka ka ka in UAE many people drive thier cars in crazy way .. although our regulation are strick for driving in that crazy way .. but not many of them get fine.

Some time if I didn't use rear fog light specailly in traffic jam.. then ??? the crazy drivers don't keep enough space between their car and mine ?? and what make me really angry is most of them have cheap cars or tracks " company car" . Therefore, it is me who will lose in case they mistakly hit my car from behind .... ?? I am force to get their attention ??? by saying """ Hey this is me keep a distance between your car and mine""" through Rear Fog Light
Old 11-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Memotronic' date='Nov 23 2004, 07:46 PM
? I know it is annoying other drivers .. but every country have different driving behavior ...ka ka ka in UAE many people drive thier cars in crazy way .. although our regulation are strick for driving in that crazy way .. but not many of them get fine.

Some time if I didn't use rear fog light specailly in traffic jam.. then ??? the crazy drivers don't keep enough space between their car and mine ?? and what make me really angry ? is most of them have cheap cars or tracks " company car" .? Therefore, it is me who will lose in case they mistakly hit my car from behind .... ?? I am force to get their attention ??? by saying? ? ? """ Hey this is me keep a distance between your car and mine""" through Rear Fog Light
[snapback]59918[/snapback]
That'S what we use the hazards for in most of Europe.
You approach traffic jam, flash the hazards...
Anyway, using the foglight works too, but therefore you need to have your lights turned on, so that's why it's a little easier to use the hazards... they allways work.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Fog light in case of....fog

Flash the hazards on approaching traffic jam specially in highways.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok dont flame me but what about hooking the rear fogs to your brake lights as extra set of brake lights to warn drivers? For the US of course... since we dont even have the switch to turn them on...

So where are the rear fogs located?
Old 11-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

We already have what you're asking for.

In the US, we don't have the rear fog lights but instead we have the bulbs that are located in the same place as the fogs light up under heavy braking (adaptive brake lights).

It would be overkill to have them come on every time you tapped the brake pedal...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Nov 24 2004, 07:15 AM
Ok dont flame me but what about hooking the rear fogs to your brake lights as extra set of brake lights to warn drivers? For the US of course... since we dont even have the switch to turn them on...

So where are the rear fogs located??
[snapback]60139[/snapback]

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Nov 24 2004, 07:39 AM
We already have what you're asking for.

In the US, we don't have the rear fog lights but instead we have the bulbs that are located in the same place as the fogs light up under heavy braking (adaptive brake lights).

It would be overkill to have them come on every time you tapped the brake pedal...
[snapback]60141[/snapback]
It wouldn't just be an overkill, it would take away your BFD!
The rear fogs would allways light up when you use the brakes, and in case of emergency braking no difference would be visible fo rthe following driver.

Quick Reply: Rear Fog Light