E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambda28' post='945390' date='Jul 17 2009, 05:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been in the community since March. I wanted to wait until I completed some mods before I made my first big post...unfortunately I was rear-ended today. My back and stomach started to ache after I got home. Must of been the shock/adrenaline rush at the accident site..

So this is the story, I was at a red light and it turned green. I was about to release my foot off the brake (still on at this point) and I heard tires screeching so I look at my rear-view mirror and saw this car coming fast (35+ MPH) and BAM! The girl hits me and I get whiplash. I look at my mirror again, she switches seats with her bf and their car slams into me AGAIN!! At this point, I'm in shock because this is my first real accident. So I get out, the guy asks me if I have insurance and says he'll take all the blame blah blah. Called the cops and took them awhile to arrive..I was surprised to see only one squad car, I would think at least two should've came. So we pull off into an empty parking lot (which happened to be where my lawyer's office is, too bad he wasn't there) and the other parties friends show up in another car. So at this point, I'm like WTF, how come another squad car didn't come.. Then everyone there knew the cop.. I told the cop that she hit me twice and they switched seats. He acted like he didn't care and nothing was wrong..I thought this was a bad thing, no?!?! No ticket for them and they were talking all casual, so pissed! So here I am waiting for the police report and see what happends from here.. She did admit she hit me and that her bf was just trying to cover for her so she wouldn't get into trouble because she only has a permit.. No ticket for possibly speeding?? Speed limit was 35 MPH and it was drizzling rain.

So guys and girls, any advice? I'm going to call my lawyer on Monday..

Thanks in advance!

Sheung

A pic of my poor baby from my iPhone:
Sorry to hear that dude and I'm glad that you are okay at least not in the hospital. I had the same experience back in 4/25 this year and I can still feel it. Mine was in the freeway and my wife, my son and i had the whiplash. If I can advise you of something is to get a lawyer specialized in this type of cases so you get the most out of this; medical attention, your car fixed and few (free) mods why not? GL
Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

wow. the cop was not doing his job. I would file a complaint with the local police with ur lawyer. Better have the police report state that they switched seats. Or else, sue for obstruction of justice or whatever u call that.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

wow if u swapped seats in this country / driving on just provisional

your in HUGE trouble lol, not just a ticket lol
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Senior Members

That sucks... hope you get your car fixed soon.

Can I state the obvious here, maybe the reason they swapped seat was that the girl was not insured to drive her BF's car. In the UK if someone hits your car and they have no insurance your own insurance company foots the bill.

My 330 got rear ended by a young female driver, I had a nightmare getting in touch with them after the accident. The girl didnt want to speak to me and her parents were abusive and threatening. At one point the Dad was saying he'd come down to see me with a friend, the dads attitude made me laugh i thought it was quite a fool hardy thing to say to someone on the phone who knows where you live. I was paranoid for weeks that someone was going to appear at my door and kick off, I locked my car away in the garage incase they took their frustrations out on it when i wasnt there.

Good luck with the repairs, damage doesnt look too bad.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The advice about not settling quick is dead on. Insurance carriers will often try to get you to settle quick for for peanuts in exchange for a release. Do not fall for that. Get your lawyer ASAP and I would report it to your insurer ASAP as well.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='945692' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:03 AM
The advice about not settling quick is dead on. Insurance carriers will often try to get you to settle quick for for peanuts in exchange for a release. Do not fall for that. Get your lawyer ASAP and I would report it to your insurer ASAP as well.
+1
Get the police report as soon as it's complete. If the facts are not accurat make fact known immediatly at the PD.

Write down the accident as you recall it TODAY before things get distorted, include drivers changing seats, statements, ect.

It's a minor accident with a complaint of no visible injury, no need for more than one officer on scene.

I have seen local officers take care of their friends or local politicians at accident scenes risking their careers, hopefully this is not the case . Good luck!

BTW did you take photo of front of other vehicle showing damage and front plate?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sgtloc' post='945810' date='Jul 18 2009, 12:37 PM
+1
Get the police report as soon as it's complete. If the facts are not accurat make fact known immediatly at the PD.

Write down the accident as you recall it TODAY before things get distorted, include drivers changing seats, statements, ect.

It's a minor accident with a complaint of no visible injury, no need for more than one officer on scene.

I have seen local officers take care of their friends or local politicians at accident scenes risking their careers, hopefully this is not the case . Good luck!

BTW did you take photo of front of other vehicle showing damage and front plate?
Good advice ... add this ... Did you get the names of other witnesses?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

go see a doctor.
hope everything is ok with YOU.
Forget all the other stuff until YOU are checked out.

then later, try to take photos of the intersection, your car, etc.

right now, is the best time to sit on the couch and just write down everything how it happened.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Say your back hurts, sue the shit out of them and hold a lean on her income for the rest of her natural born life. Welcome to America, baby!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

Man, now a battle on two fronts. Sorry to hear that. My friend did the rearending about a week ago, and luckily the guy didn't ask for insurance.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended