E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [N62]

Hi everyone,

I've been in the community since March. I wanted to wait until I completed some mods before I made my first big post...unfortunately I was rear-ended today. My back and stomach started to ache after I got home. Must of been the shock/adrenaline rush at the accident site..

So this is the story, I was at a red light and it turned green. I was about to release my foot off the brake (still on at this point) and I heard tires screeching so I look at my rear-view mirror and saw this car coming fast (35+ MPH) and BAM! The girl hits me and I get whiplash. I look at my mirror again, she switches seats with her bf and their car slams into me AGAIN!! At this point, I'm in shock because this is my first real accident. So I get out, the guy asks me if I have insurance and says he'll take all the blame blah blah. Called the cops and took them awhile to arrive..I was surprised to see only one squad car, I would think at least two should've came. So we pull off into an empty parking lot (which happened to be where my lawyer's office is, too bad he wasn't there) and the other parties friends show up in another car. So at this point, I'm like WTF, how come another squad car didn't come.. Then everyone there knew the cop.. I told the cop that she hit me twice and they switched seats. He acted like he didn't care and nothing was wrong..I thought this was a bad thing, no?!?! No ticket for them and they were talking all casual, so pissed! So here I am waiting for the police report and see what happends from here.. She did admit she hit me and that her bf was just trying to cover for her so she wouldn't get into trouble because she only has a permit.. No ticket for possibly speeding?? Speed limit was 35 MPH and it was drizzling rain.

So guys and girls, any advice? I'm going to call my lawyer on Monday..

Thanks in advance!

Sheung

A pic of my poor baby from my iPhone:
Attached Thumbnails Rear-ended-accident_july_17_edit.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

That's f'kup. I can't believe the cop let them go like that. In any case, you should consider getting the m-tech kit.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, Platinum Grey, Black Dakota leather, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite headliner, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Nav, HUD, PDC, Night Vision, Logic7, iPod / USB, HD Radio, Sunshades, Heated Rear seats, and Folding Rear Seats.

Have your lawyer file a complaint against the officer stating they knew the other party involved and they did not follow proper procedures in your opinion.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

That is a horrible story. Given that you are complaining of back pain, you should see a doctor ASAP to document your injuries.

The part about the cop blowing it off just drives me nuts.

You need a very good lawyer ASAP.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

I will keep the comments in mind when I get ahold of my lawyer. Thanks for the comments! I will update..
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Contributors

You have a right to be angry about getting rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light. I'm surprised that no summons were issued ... even if the light was green the other driver must have their car under control. Maybe the police officer thought of giving the novice driver a break but clearly she AND the other driver compounded the situation by trying to break the law TWICE!! That's awfully risky behavior by any law-enforcement officer today!! Most would rather have a judge sort it out.

That said, for your purposes it's an insurance case and I suspect your insurance company will handle this in a pretty standard fashion. You will, no doubt, also be contacted by the other party's insurance company; I recommend you refer them back to your carrier but make it perfectly clear that their insured client's actions were in direct violation of the law and perhaps even CRIMINAL. With that in mind, you should expect they will want to make this case "go away" quietly!! But you should be very careful about agreeing to ANY settlement until your personal injury is sorted out - soft tissue / muscle injury is real difficult to resolve but also unlikely to result in any long term physical issue for you. You should be very clear with both your insurance company and the other party's insurance company that you will not tolerate any financial inconvenience ... that a comparable replacement vehicle be provided IMMEDIATELY at no cost to you until your car is repaired to its pre-accident condition, and that any collision deductible be handled w/o any money out of your pocket. Additionally, all medical expenses be handled directly by the insurance companies until you are medically released by your own physician.

You may even be contacted by the other driver(s) - I suggest you only tell them to speak to your insurance company (or lawyer). In my experience, retaining your own personal attorney is probably unnecessary as the property damage and personal injury is (I HOPE) not severe or permanent.

Hope you feel well and have your car repaired ASAP - Good luck!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Sounds like a perfect time for you to do one of the biggest and best mods for free Take your car to the dealer so the quote to fix it is really high. There insurance company is going to cover it. Then use the money, order the mtech or umnitza kit.

Glad to see your not seriously hurt! Like others have said i would goto the doctor and get checked out!

About the cop i will call and file a complaint.

Hope everything turns out good for you!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It's amazing what stupid, selfish people try to get away with!! I say nail them to the wall (legally speaking of course!), make them liable for what they did....and an M-tech kit would be nice too! Good Luck with the outcome!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Is there a police report? I had to learn about accidents the hard way when some douchebag hit me. He said he was so sorry and was telling me stories about his wife getting hit over 100+ miles per hour. And how he was in the military and had the best insurance. Well that was my first accident involving another car. I got his info and everything and I didn't call a cop(lesson learned). Well after that the jackass says I ran a redlight and all this other shit. He changed the story multiple times and was recorded switching his story by his insurance Geico. Well guess what?? I got NOTHING out of it, he even tried to go after MY insurance. I used a lawyer but didn't get anywhere. Hopefully your police report is correct. I still need to take the idiot to court.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man. good luck.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended