E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Camber

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Doing off-rim rotation on the rears was my plan also for BFG G-Force KDWs (about 300 wear rating) that were on the car when I bought it. Unfortunately I pushed them a little too far, and when I went to get them rotated at 19K miles the cords were already showing. I have changed the rear to Conti DWS because they are quiet and have a better wear durometer (540).

The Contis are not directional, but asymmetrical so that complicates matters when it comes to rotation. Discount Tire who installed them here in Scottsdale does a lot of exotic cars with staggered tire set ups and the salesman said at least for the primarily dry road driving in the desert that running the asymmetrical tires "inside-out" doesn't affect handling much or hurt the tire. I tried to find info on the web or on tire manufacturer's websites but didn't have any luck. When the time comes to rotate I will give running them inside-out a try and see.
Same thing happened to me with my first set, wore the insides to shreads. after that I had to figure something out to prolong tire life
\
If u have a 540 tread wear u can probably get two or three rotations on the the rears and really get a long life on your tires. I like the traction of a soft tire and I had a conversation online with a guy from tire rack .com and he said that a 540 tread wear compared to a 280 is a 20 % less traction. I didn't wanna loose that much traction cause I do carve the corners hard on mountain roads.

I wanted to ask your opinion ,,, how do u feel the conti,s handle when cornering hard on turns ??, Cause I was thinking about buying those tires on my next round

Now that I got new rears,, I just rotated the fronts side to side at the same time after 27,400 miles on them. so I think ill get 60,000 on my fronts.

I even took it a step further I went with nitrogen and added 5 psi .to get the tires to ride more toward the center of the tire. With an xtra 100lbs of weight from my woofer box and amps in the trunk The cars weight is less on those inside corners and sitting more towards the center.. and really made a difference... After I rotated my rears I reduced the 5 psi as the tire wears down and i got even tire wear all the way across the tire.. The guys at Americas tire said that my car was the first bmw they have seen that the inside corners where not worn down to the steel belts.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by esqyankee
These tires are not meant to be stretched multiple times, but I have heard of people doing just that to avoid the innenr wear. I think I am at -.8 on both rears, but I am confused by "the computer won't allow" for more. Can I have the mechanic override what the computer is telling him? It sure looks like I have clearance for neutral (fenders are rolled), but, admittedly, I don't have a clue what I am talking about. With 295s on the rears, the camber is noticable from behind the car. I can't be eating through $500 worth of tires every 9-12 months. Would a camber kit solve this? I have stock sport suspension. Thanks!
The dealer will not remove the camber to zero because it will be out of factory specs.
The factory camber is about negative 2.0. The computer will not allow the reduction of camber to beyond a negative .08 or 0.9. that is the minimum factory spec camber limit . In other words the computer will not go to zero camber,, even if the mechanic ties to it wont go that far.. try rotating your tires as I described . u will b happy with the results. My soft Ventus V12 EVO's lasted a long time for a soft tire. I mounted them October 2010 rode them till june 2013 that's 2 1/2 years ! I now keep a really close eye on my tires and actually adjust the tire pressure as the tire wears down.. I think I got this down to a science now and really happy with my results getting long tire life and saving me some cash was my goal.

I wouldn't spend money on a camber kit not even sure they make one for the rears, plus I think camber kits is to add camber not reduce camber ( not positive on this may be someone can chime in if im wrong ) . So just keep an eye on them rotate them when the insides get almost to the wear bar and will solve the excessive wear issue. its worked for me ...

Last edited by H F; 06-23-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM
H F
New Members

esq yankee. I got curious about camber kits didn't know much about them. found out they do make e60 camber kits at www.bavauto.com 250 /300 bucks. To go beyond -.08. it adjusts in the range of -2.0 / 0 / + 2.0. some where around 450 bucks with alignment . The dealer wont do it, so an indy shop would be he way to go