E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear air vent, behind centre arm rest - how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all

Just purchased a 2006 E60 523i. Loving the car so far but one thing is driving me absolutely nuts. There's a constant noise of something sliding around underneath the centre armrest/console! Sounds like a coin and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the air duct compartment underneath the armrest.

I've tried prising out both rear air vent and the panel underneath it but there's no give whatsoever. I'm afraid of breaking the panel/trim. Have any of you successfully removed the air vent and/or panel and, if so, how did you do it and what tools did you use?

Many thanks,
J
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Members

On the two outside vertical portions of the vent there are two metal spring clips that hold the vent assembly in place. Use a credit card or a plastic pry tool and push towrds the center of the vent to relaese the trim piece, at the same time pry outwards and do this to each side ,driver and passenger to pop it out.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Ardent
Hey all

Just purchased a 2006 E60 523i. Loving the car so far but one thing is driving me absolutely nuts. There's a constant noise of something sliding around underneath the centre armrest/console! Sounds like a coin and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the air duct compartment underneath the armrest.

I've tried prising out both rear air vent and the panel underneath it but there's no give whatsoever. I'm afraid of breaking the panel/trim. Have any of you successfully removed the air vent and/or panel and, if so, how did you do it and what tools did you use?

Many thanks,
J
This should do the trick, this DIY is for changing your Blower motor but removing those vents is the first step.
Attached Files
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM
New Members

Thanks guys. Got there in the end.

I went to my local hardware store and picked up two wide chisels, covered them in masking tape (taped up the panel itself also) and used them to pry out the panel. The points into which I inserted the chisels is marked in the attached diagram. You really do need a pair of wide tools for a successful job. It was then just a case of being a little forceful and jimmying the panel out. I hope this helps someone else with this same problem.