E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 3 misfires at start up on cold weather days...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Hey guys/gals,

I have a 2006 530i, N52 engine with 70,000 miles. When I don't drive my car often enough, I occasionally get "cylinder 3 misfire" message. The "Engine Service Soon" light does not go away unless I reset it.

The engine idles steady and car does not feel or sound like it has any mechanical problems. The same problem persists(occasionally) even after new spark plugs and ignition coils are changed/switched around...

Can low battery voltage and cold weather be the cause of this misfire message to pop up? Does anyone out there with the same problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It could be the coil. try swapping the coil with another cylinder and see if the miss fire jumps to that cylinder.

It is harder for the motor to fire when it is cold and the coil may be finding it easier to ground out.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Allen, Thank you for the suggestions.

I went and got the very first smog check for my 2006 530i today. Due to the aforementioned issue, I got a "FAIL" on "Functional Check"(MIL/Check Engine Light). :-(

This SES(as a result of cylinder 3 misfire) has been going on for about a month now. On several occassions, I have cleared it with my Bavarian Autosport Engine Fault Code Reader/ Reset Tool - OBDII. The SES light tends to stay off for about a week if my car battery is fully charged. But if I take short trips and drive less than 30 miles each day, the SES for cylinder 3 misfire will come on only at cold start (early in the morning or evening). Yes, I have already replaced six new spark plugs and 3 new ignitions coils for the suspects.

I guess my question is, can the smog check machine detect the SES if I clear it prior to another smog check? Or do I have to permanently fix the problem in order to pass the test???

Again, thank you in advance for all your help!!!

FYI: I found out that Dynamic Traction Control(DTC) must be deativated if a smog test requires a Dyno Test. The Smog Technician had a hard time keeping if off because he did not know that he has to "HOLD THE DTC BUTTON FOR A FEW SECONDS".

Originally Posted by healthservices
It could be the coil. try swapping the coil with another cylinder and see if the miss fire jumps to that cylinder.

It is harder for the motor to fire when it is cold and the coil may be finding it easier to ground out.