E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Real Time Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='334420' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:23 AM
Re Sirius:

The 22 metro areas that will initially receive the service are Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Francisco/Oakland, San Diego, San Jose, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa and Washington D.C. SIRIUS expects to expand the service to over 50 cities by 2007.

The first unit to provide the new traffic data service and audio entertainment will be the SiriusConnect SIR-ALP10T tuner, which interfaces with Alpine Electronics' new NVE-N872A Satellite Traffic Ready navigation system. This service will keep subscribers informed about potential delays or incidents along the route, including road speed and flow information, unscheduled traffic incidents, and scheduled road closures and road work

Link

Maybe this gives some clues as to how this particular technology interfaces.

As you say, it may not be Sirius (but if it were, non-Sirius e60s would have to get a Sirius tuner retrofitted)...

ABC
Well that is ominous. If the new sept build have the new new NVE-N872A Satellite Traffic Ready navigation system and the earlier E 60s don't ....forget it cause you would have to toss your old Nav system and retro fit the new one and bottom line, its wayyyyyyyy too expensive.

I just got off the phone with a couple BMW dealers in my area. Do they know about the Real Time Traffic article, yes. Do they know their own names? No. I got nothing form them...big surprise.

I think BMW NA is trying to break this to us gently. Prior to Sept 06 build...you're screwed if you want RTT. I have an email into RTT to ask them what they know. It can't be any less that BMW dealers. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 09-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='334446' date='Sep 14 2006, 12:45 PM
Well that is ominous. If the new sept build have the new alpine NVE N872A unit and the earlier E 60s don't ....forget it cause you would have to toss your old Nav system and retro fit the new one and bottom line, its wayyyyyyyy too expensive.

I just got off the phone with a couple BMW dealers in my area. Do they know about the Real Time Traffic article, yes. Do they know their own names? No. I got nothing form them...big surprise.

I think BMW NA is trying to break this to us gently. Prior to Sept 06 build...you're screwed if you want RTT. I have an email into RTT to ask them what they know. It can't be any less that BMW dealers. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Ok i found the release on the NVE-N872A Satellite Traffic Ready navigation system. I don't think I have this in my car in any form. Click on the area where is says check out the alpine NVE N872A unit.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/prod...model=NVE-N872A
Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I just got my (completely worthless...) answer from BMW NA:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2007 BMW 530i. We appreciate your inquiry.
I am sorry, but we do not have any information on the availability of a retrofit for Real Time Traffic. I apologize for any disappointment. You may wish to keep in touch with your local BMW center for any updates.
If you have any further questions, blah blah...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='334476' date='Sep 14 2006, 02:33 PM

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2007 BMW 530i. We appreciate your inquiry.
I am sorry, but we do not have any information on the availability of a retrofit for Real Time Traffic. I apologize for any disappointment. You may wish to keep in touch with your local BMW center for any updates.
Hahaha! Hey, at least we have this forum. If forum members opened their own dealerships, we could actually be of use to all our fellow BMW owners out there...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='334476' date='Sep 14 2006, 01:33 PM

So its really BMW naaaaaaaa blah blah blah.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='334483' date='Sep 14 2006, 02:44 PM
Hahaha! Hey, at least we have this forum. If forum members opened their own dealerships, we could actually be of use to all our fellow BMW owners out there...
Hey, thats not a bad idea.........
Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='334471' date='Sep 14 2006, 07:24 PM
Ok i found the release on the NVE-N872A Satellite Traffic Ready navigation system. I don't think I have this in my car in any form. Click on the area where is says check out the alpine NVE N872A unit.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/prod...model=NVE-N872A
AFAIK, this unit has nothing to do with BMW.

It was simply the first receiver to be compatible with the Sirius Real Time Traffic Data System.

Doubtless, there are several other manufacturers who now make several other compatible units.

ABC
Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='334519' date='Sep 14 2006, 03:42 PM
AFAIK, this unit has nothing to do with BMW.

It was simply the first receiver to be compatible with the Sirius Real Time Traffic Data System.

Doubtless, there are several other manufacturers who now make several other compatible units.

ABC
Oh and I was already trying to jam this new thing in the hole where my Nav used to be. Let me see if I can get my Nav back in there. Damn.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Sirius' real time traffic service will not be used with BMW's NAV System. Instead it will be "Clear Channel's Total Traffic Network" from Clear Channel Radio http://www.realtimetraffic.net/. This is just my opinion, but I don't think that pre- Sep. 2006 production cars can have this feature added by just a software upgrade. I think it would either not be possible at all, or it would probably involve a hardware add on module or a complete NAV system and/or radio receiver swap. I guess we will find out sometime in the next few months.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='334565' date='Sep 15 2006, 12:57 AM
I don't think that pre- Sep. 2006 production cars can have this feature added by just a software upgrade. I think it would either not be possible at all, or it would probably involve a hardware add on module or a complete NAV system and/or radio receiver swap.
Glad we are both guessing in the same direction.

ABC

Quick Reply: Real Time Traffic