E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the real difference - 530i/545i/535i/550i compared

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
why do you persist?
well, i don't like you, if that's any consolation.

but secondly there is a lot of misinformation in this thread, notably 5+ guys that did not know there was a correlation between torque and horsepower. be that as it may, several people actually find the thread useful. there really is no reason to continue to argue with me. if you have some proof or stats to talk about, that would be helpful to the thread.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

This thread is a "your car may have more HP than mine, but mine is lighter than yours therefore we're just about equal" thread. Seems like a way to rationalize your way into a 530 and not feel bad about it. Not that there's anything wrong with a 530 because I have owned a 323, 528, 545 and now the 550. People have their reasons for their engine choices, whatever it may be, money (or lack of), power, reliability, maint costs, fuel economy, availiable options, etc..Just don't think you're gonna jump in a 530 and be on the same level as a 535 stock to stock. No amout of paper racing/comparisons/physics will make it true. These different models/trim lines exist for a reason. I have driven the 530/545/550 and my butt dyno says none of them are equal in any way.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I agree, one factor not in the equation is the transmission. Yeah a 530 may have a certain amount of power at a certain rpm but you are not at that rpm all the time, 99 percent of the time you are lower and this power level is a lot less than lets say a 550 or 545 at the same rpm.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

LOL @ mookish
Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mookish
This thread is a "your car may have more HP than mine, but mine is lighter than yours therefore we're just about equal" thread.
yes, that is exactly right. do you think a dodge truck with 350hp is going to stack up to your 550i in a race? weight means a LOT! as others have commented, you don't have the growl of a v8 or the low-end torque that makes it *feel* fast, but obviously those aren't factors that attribute to the overall acceleration capabilities of the car. that's a pretty simple concept and not sure why it requires so much defensive bitching.

These different models/trim lines exist for a reason.
the camaro z28 was a fraction of the cost of a corvette that had the same exact engine/transmission in it when i got mine in 2000. corvettes were slightly lighter and handled better, but performance vs value, the z28 was the clear winner. if you look at the stats, somehow ironically the corvette has more horsepower rated. you don't think bmw employs the same marketing strategy?

Seems like a way to rationalize your way into a 530 and not feel bad about it. Not that there's anything wrong with a 530 because I have owned a 323, 528, 545 and now the 550.
are you sure you just aren't trying to justify your 550i purchase by posting this?

you can't argue the numbers. if your car is heavier with more power, your car's power is diminished by the added weight. that is it, nothing more to argue about. who cares what your "butt" dyno reads, and how does that allow your car to defy physics anyway? it's ironic to me that the only people who have a problem and bitch on the thread are those that own a 535/550.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yes, that is exactly right. do you think a dodge truck with 350hp is going to stack up to your 550i in a race? weight means a LOT! as others have commented, you don't have the growl of a v8 or the low-end torque that makes it *feel* fast, but obviously those aren't factors that attribute to the overall acceleration capabilities of the car. that's a pretty simple concept and not sure why it requires so much defensive bitching.

the camaro z28 was a fraction of the cost of a corvette that had the same exact engine/transmission in it when i got mine in 2000. corvettes were slightly lighter and handled better, but performance vs value, the z28 was the clear winner. if you look at the stats, somehow ironically the corvette has more horsepower rated. you don't think bmw employs the same marketing strategy?

are you sure you just aren't trying to justify your 550i purchase by posting this?

you can't argue the numbers. if your car is heavier with more power, your car's power is diminished by the added weight. that is it, nothing more to argue about. who cares what your "butt" dyno reads, and how does that allow your car to defy physics anyway?
We're not talking about Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi, we're not talking about Dodge truck vs BMW 550, we're not talking about Camaro vs Corvette, those are all apples vs oranges, we're talking about E60 vs E60. I can't possibly be trying to justify my 550, because like I said, when I bought my E39, I opted for the 528 over the 540 because at the time, I didn't want an 8 cyl car and I didn't want the extra cost to repair it given it was an older car. But I also knew that I didn't stand a chance vs my brothers e39 540, and I would never say "we're equal bacause my car is lighter than yours" That just doesn't make sense. The only reason I have a 550 now is because my 545 was totaled and I was in the position to scoop a 550 with no out of pocket expenses, because I bought the 545 not really wanting or needing the 550, but again, I knew 550>545. And even now I wonder if I made the right choice because this 550 eats thru tires and drinks gas like no tomorrow, I only drive on weekends for fun so I'll live with it. If I had to do it again, I'd want to go with a 535, the HPFP issues scared me away from the 535 tho, so I'm not someone just talking bacause I have a 550. But feel free to line up with me in any stock e60 that's not a 550 and I'll help you re-do some of your paper calculations.

your still in a BMW, that means your family and we still love you
Old 10-22-2010, 01:46 PM
e6t
Senior Members

But feel free to line up with me in any stock e60 that's not a 550 and I'll help you re-do some of your paper calculations.
But but but the 535 is lighter and only about 30 hp less than the 550!!!?!??//11one
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by tuffluck
you can't argue the numbers. if your car is heavier with more power, your car's power is diminished by the added weight. that is it, nothing more to argue about. who cares what your "butt" dyno reads, and how does that allow your car to defy physics anyway? it's ironic to me that the only people who have a problem and bitch on the thread are those that own a 535/550.
does your "paper calculations" take into account how much power is made throughout the rpm range? no
you are only looking at peak power, and disregarding the power curves, along with rpms and transmission gearing.

it's pretty pathetic that you persist though, that the 530 is as quick as a 535 or 550.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

where is diamond? this thread has his name written all of over it...
Old 10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
where is diamond? this thread has his name written all of over it...
How do you know tuffluck is not diamond?

Quick Reply: the real difference - 530i/545i/535i/550i compared